HerrTom's explosions

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

So we should use this higher res version rather than the one you prepped for d/l yesterday?

If you want.  As you can see in the Bradley video, it looks better when it gets bigger.  On the other hand, it takes 16x more disk space than the original explosions...

2 hours ago, c3k said:

The Brumbar shot: the explosion is too fast. It (smoke ball) seems to be created and dissipated too quickly.

That was from the original animation I made, which I agree looks too fast.  I had to compress it time-wise to fit in the game's allotted frames.

2 hours ago, c3k said:

The Bradley shot: For some reason, that looks better. 

For whatever my opinion is worth. 

It's a different animation - that might by why!  I should have noted last night that that is showing the high-resolution explosions with my smoke textures.

I've been playing around with your Hi-Res explosions and smoke mod for quite a few hours. 

Here's my constructive criticism so far:
1. The new explosions are great! However, I think they could be improved by replacing the last of the explosion frames with a smoke&explosion "transition" frame (explosiona007), and maybe adding an additional one (replacing explosiona008).   
2. The smoke looks pretty good from afar, but up close in looks cartoonish. Maybe the shape of the smoke could be changed to resemble vanilla smoke more? Also, the smoke is too opaque. 

Edited by AtheistDane

I am sticking with the orange one from page two. I was screwing around last week and had a fighter drop a bomb on some Russian FOs in a 14 story building. That explosion was badass looking when it went off and the top floor disappeared. It's still my favorite.

Mord.

On 18/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, AtheistDane said:

I've been playing around with your Hi-Res explosions and smoke mod for quite a few hours. 

Here's my constructive criticism so far:
1. The new explosions are great! However, I think they could be improved by replacing the last of the explosion frames with a smoke&explosion "transition" frame (explosiona007), and maybe adding an additional one (replacing explosiona008).   
2. The smoke looks pretty good from afar, but up close in looks cartoonish. Maybe the shape of the smoke could be changed to resemble vanilla smoke more? Also, the smoke is too opaque. 

1.  I see what you mean... I can see what I can do to play around with the fire and how it attenuates.

2. Not sure about the opacity - looks like it has a bit more area that's fully opaque compared to other smoke mods/game textures, but nothing significantly so as far as I can tell.  Cartoonish up close?  Definitely.  I'm playing around with more subdivisions in the smoke simulation to add more small scale detail.  We'll see!  Should add more noise and variation, particularly around the edges.

On 22/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, Mord said:

I am sticking with the orange one from page two. I was screwing around last week and had a fighter drop a bomb on some Russian FOs in a 14 story building. That explosion was badass looking when it went off and the top floor disappeared. It's still my favorite.

Wicked!  I'm still trying to get the look back.  I'll be sure to ping you when/if I get it in glorious high resolution!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HerrTom, 
Do you think you could an make explosion more like the ones in this video? (If you go to 0:30 it's in slow-motion) 
I'm thinking 3-4 (maybe 5) "explosion" frames and the rest smoke.  

Maybe this can serve as an inspiration. Though it probably has to be circular due to the fact that the game only uses one explosion for everything.

Perfection.jpg

Edited by AtheistDane

Re a new explosion mod, it would be wonderful to have the above version as well as a circular version so players could decide which they like more.   If one is going to be using a lot of arty, generally that is an inf-heavy scenario. In that instance the above explosion would be the best mod. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, CMFDR said:

Added to CMModsIII so more gamers can enjoy it, and get you feedbacks, hopefully.

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=8056

Thank you for sharing @HerrTom

Thanks! I'm kicking myself because I kept forgetting to do it myself!

6 hours ago, Jjduston said:

Long time lurker here, this leaves me speechless its just 'whoa'. Do you have any plans to further this?

I have some vague plans to try again with a smoother transition to smoke and making it a little wispier, but haven't come to fruition yet