New Josey Wales CMFI AAR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Man, I came across a couple of your vids surfing YouTube the other day and I gotta say, EXCELLENT stuff! Really enjoy your output. Keep it up. Your videos are better than most of the crap on YouTube! And game play/AAR wise you have captured the sweet spot between information and the cinematic. It's a documentary feel with a cinematographer's eye. As far as I am concerned you are the bar for CM AAR vids. PRAISE JESUS AND PASS THE AMMO!

Are you interested in CMBN or RT? Or is just Italy and the Bulge your thing? That didn't sound right, did it?

Mord.

@Pericles thanks for posting these vids here, I'm sure it's helped raise my profile on YouTube so much appreciated. And thanks for the link to your AAR's, I'll take a look.

@Mord I'm glad you're enjoying the AAR's and many thanks for the high praise. I only own CMFI or CMFB at the moment but intend to purchase CMBN and all the modules as soon as I've finished editing part 2 of my current AAR, which is taking longer than usual due to RL commitments. I like to show the close in detail that the game designers and modders so painstakingly create and then pull back out every few minutes to keep the viewers up to date with the big picture, cheers.

@SLIM thanks for the heads up. I need to find sometime to look at your latest vids.

21 hours ago, Josey Wales said:

@SLIM thanks for the heads up. I need to find sometime to look at your latest vids.

Thanks. I don't have much CM stuff coming down the pipe, but I hope to have the next TTP lecture done by New Years.
I might have a good AAR coming up as well. @BletchleyGeek and I have been waltzing around in the snow, at night, somewhere in Italy.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:28 PM, Josey Wales said:

@Mord I'm glad you're enjoying the AAR's and many thanks for the high praise. I only own CMFI or CMFB at the moment but intend to purchase CMBN and all the modules as soon as I've finished editing part 2 of my current AAR, which is taking longer than usual due to RL commitments. I like to show the close in detail that the game designers and modders so painstakingly create and then pull back out every few minutes to keep the viewers up to date with the big picture, cheers.

I look forward to seeing you put the magic on some CMBN!

No interest in the Eastern Front? I didn't think I'd like it back when they announced Barbarossa to Berlin, but man, I love it now.

Mord.

8 hours ago, SLIM said:

Thanks. I don't have much CM stuff coming down the pipe, but I hope to have the next TTP lecture done by New Years.
I might have a good AAR coming up as well. @BletchleyGeek and I have been waltzing around in the snow, at night, somewhere in Italy.

And I need to return you a turn soon @SLIM:)

It is been an interesting name... @JoseyWales write up on the morale rules was helpful to manage the situation. If you need something from me to compose one of your lectures, feel free to ask @SLIM.

21 hours ago, Mord said:

I look forward to seeing you put the magic on some CMBN!

No interest in the Eastern Front? I didn't think I'd like it back when they announced Barbarossa to Berlin, but man, I love it now.

Mord.

I've no preference over fronts, its just that I got into the CM2 games a bit back to front as I had lost touch with the series after Africa Korps. I came across Fortress Italy a few years ago by accident and it took me a while to realise that it was from the same series as the CM1 games. I then got Final Blitzkrieg as it was the latest release and am slowly working my way through the rest of the series. CMBN is next as it appears to be the most widely played and popular. Once my finances have recovered and time allows then I'll get Red Thunder.

Excellent! They are all such a blast. I love hopping between the theaters, depending on my moods. And being able to interact with the history up close is great especially while I am reading a book or watching a documentary on one of the settings. War games bring the history to life, and CM especially so. Right now I am reading "Recon Scout" by Fred H. Salter because of your CMFI Vids. You put me in an Italian mood.

Man, what a happy accident that was!  I suffered through the entire time, waiting and dreaming and drooling. It was a long road from CMAK to SF, and really long to where we are now. Glad you are a member of this fine community and returned to the fold.

Mord.

Thanks Badger.  Going on your recommendation I downloaded "Aris Horizon & Clouds Mod".  I have never installed a mod before so I assume that I merely extract this to the mod folder.  I am actually currently playing In For A Pound PBEM so would installing the mod now screw up our game?  Also, it is my understanding that anytime there is an update such as to Game Engine 4.0 that mods have to be manually re-installed.

Not necessarily, all depends on what they change in the upgrades. A lot of times it boils down to naming conventions. We haven't had too many of those since they changed all the uniforms. Terrain has under gone many if any as far as I remember.

Watch out, adding mods can lead to mod slutdom, a particular nasty form of OCD. Ask Erwin, he's an addict from way back. So, am I.

Mord.

9 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

Thanks Badger.  Going on your recommendation I downloaded "Aris Horizon & Clouds Mod".  I have never installed a mod before so I assume that I merely extract this to the mod folder.  I am actually currently playing In For A Pound PBEM so would installing the mod now screw up our game?  Also, it is my understanding that anytime there is an update such as to Game Engine 4.0 that mods have to be manually re-installed.

You're welcome @CanuckGamer.  No, installing a mod should not screw up the game; it's just a "skin".  To see mods, create a "Z" folder in your game's "Data" directory and copy the desired mods into that "Z" folder.  The files inside "Z" will load last when the game initiates.  The contents of that folder will then overly base code ("vanilla") skins.  @Mord correctly notes that most mods do not change with engine/patch updates.  The exception was "uniform" mods/skins (v2.00 to v3.00 if I recall correctly). 

If you want to learn more about moddable file "skins", play around with the RezExplode tool in the CM game "Mod tools" folder.  It can tell you the file names the game uses when "painting skins" at start up.  @Mord is also correct when he points out that adding mods is addictive!  Well worth it, though (<cough> everything by Aris, Juju, and Vein <cough>).

11 hours ago, Mord said:

Not necessarily, all depends on what they change in the upgrades. A lot of times it boils down to naming conventions. We haven't had too many of those since they changed all the uniforms. Terrain has under gone many if any as far as I remember.

Watch out, adding mods can lead to mod slutdom, a particular nasty form of OCD. Ask Erwin, he's an addict from way back. So, am I.

Mord.

Advice from an admitted mod slut...  :wacko:   Players need to be wary that some mods do become obsolete as CM2 versions evolve.  The mods either do not show up (and simply clog up your HD) or they create undesirable errors.  When one accumulates 6+GB of mods in one's Z folder per title, it can become a huge problem trying to determine which mods are obsolete. 

If you have become a mod slut, it may be better to occasionally do a complete reinstall, and add in the most recent mods first (and then older mods) until you get the desired result in the game.