Silly question

I have been making a serious attempt to break free from my WW2 mind-set and really get my head around CMBS. I have been re-reading the instruction manuals in detail to help me do this, and I have found something that I cannot find the answer to.  The problem is in the Defences panel, as shown on p-38 of the CM4 manual.  Under the graphic that shows what sort of projectile the vehicle is vulnerable to, there are a number of light blue squares.  These have a number of funky looking patterns, which vary.  I thought this depended on the vehicle, but two identical vehicles can have different squares.  I suppose this could have something to do with the troops they are(or aren't) carrying, but I'm not sure. 

Can some kind person on this forum please put me out of my misery and tell me what these funky blue boxes actually mean?

SLR

P.S.  The one in the illustration on p-38 looks sort of smoke-ish!!

The smoke-ish looking one is in fact smoke launchers. The one with a grill is for slat armor. The arrows pointing left and right is for explosive reactive armor. The waves mean electo-optical jammer. The one that looks like an arc being struck by a beam is laser warning receiver and the one with four arrows pointing to each corner is for APS.