• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
MOS:96B2P

CMA Unofficial Screenshot Thread

Quite a bit of discussion generated, I'll try to address stuff from my side, then:

On 9/5/2017 at 6:52 PM, rocketman said:

Nicely done @Rinaldi, a well told story. Makes me wish for an engine update of CMA.

Yeah thanks. It had been a while since I filmed something, this was a quick PBEM so I took the opportunity. Bigger videos in the works, perhaps more CMA among that. The small group I play with have taken a liking to CMA. 

The lack of dedicated H2H scenarios may be fixed by us soon too...no promises yet however.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

It also seems that SS knew when the Hinds would appear and hence was able to get his Muj exiting b4 that happened.  

Fortuitous really. The briefing has a lot of context clues that the Soviets will use Hinds to support any units but naturally doesn't tell us when. I had been starting my fade-away (largely due to a lack of ammo) when I heard the choppers. Made me redouble my effort to get away quick.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wasn't me fella, I'm just an interested onlooker here.....I don't think I've even played this scenario (I've got it though, I checked).  I do know the map very well (assuming it's the unedited version from the QB Maps folder), I've built several things on it in the past (it's one of the best IMHO).

Gunships always make a sighting pass at speed the turn before they commence their attack, they then usually make a very distinct hard turn noise as they commence the attack run.....If you hear that noise, it's already too late.  ;)

PS - I've used this for dramatic effect in a few of my single player scenarios, basically targeting an area where the player cannot possibly be with an AI fire plan, this causes the helicopter to make several sighting passes (in completely the wrong place, but the player doesn't know that) over the course of a few turns.  You do have to be a bit careful not to trigger Red on Red incidents when doing this, Hinds are apparently often rather liberal in their interpretation of ROE (especially in CM:SF).

The scenario is one of the default ones - name is "The Cotton Route." I'm not sure if it was edited from the base QB map - probably the trenches. 

The Soviets get quite a few points for body count but the real winning move is getting the trucks through for them. It's a scenario where its more about denying the objective than achieving your own. I'm mighty tempted to do a swapped PBEM with Mish sometime soon. The BMDs proved themselves to be quite capable little vehicles; on the face of it pushing through the ambush isn't actually that poor an idea. Had he moved around the identified mines with a bit more care I think he would've done it.

Ammo and ability to kill the BMDs are two things sorely lacking for the fighters in that scenario. If you circle the cattle as the Soviets and and put down enough fire I can see them being able to push through the fireswept zone with minimal loss of the light skins. Of course, dismounting Paras to occupy the heights should be a possible course of action depending on what's happening.

Top marks for the scenario; the deployment zone for BLUFOR is quite wide and allows for a thousand different ways to ambush. There's a surplus of trenches too which prevents the Soviets from just plastering the pre-known fighting positions. Too many to do with the forces at hand.

Sorry - meant Rinaldi

I still think that mines are an effective roadblock in this case.  One cannot be sure there is any way around them, and simply running trucks into a known minefield to see if or how many get blown up seems a rather unrealistic expectation (in RL).   That would be my only criticism of the design - assuming the Russians cannot win by simply fighting back and destroying the Uncons. 

Edited by Erwin

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That rather complicates matters for you.....How soon do the Hinds become available?

Immediately it's just I did not know where his men were and I'm not keen on strafing potentially empty hills 

The gunships will only engage if there's a target, so there's no loss to you if they don't spot anything AFAIK, they'll still be there on call until they actually expend their payload.....With that in mind I reckon you guys should replay using the same sides, I suspect things might turn out rather differently.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead