CMA Unofficial Screenshot Thread

Quite a bit of discussion generated, I'll try to address stuff from my side, then:

On 9/5/2017 at 6:52 PM, rocketman said:

Nicely done @Rinaldi, a well told story. Makes me wish for an engine update of CMA.

Yeah thanks. It had been a while since I filmed something, this was a quick PBEM so I took the opportunity. Bigger videos in the works, perhaps more CMA among that. The small group I play with have taken a liking to CMA. 

The lack of dedicated H2H scenarios may be fixed by us soon too...no promises yet however.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

It also seems that SS knew when the Hinds would appear and hence was able to get his Muj exiting b4 that happened.  

Fortuitous really. The briefing has a lot of context clues that the Soviets will use Hinds to support any units but naturally doesn't tell us when. I had been starting my fade-away (largely due to a lack of ammo) when I heard the choppers. Made me redouble my effort to get away quick.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wasn't me fella, I'm just an interested onlooker here.....I don't think I've even played this scenario (I've got it though, I checked).  I do know the map very well (assuming it's the unedited version from the QB Maps folder), I've built several things on it in the past (it's one of the best IMHO).

Gunships always make a sighting pass at speed the turn before they commence their attack, they then usually make a very distinct hard turn noise as they commence the attack run.....If you hear that noise, it's already too late.  ;)

PS - I've used this for dramatic effect in a few of my single player scenarios, basically targeting an area where the player cannot possibly be with an AI fire plan, this causes the helicopter to make several sighting passes (in completely the wrong place, but the player doesn't know that) over the course of a few turns.  You do have to be a bit careful not to trigger Red on Red incidents when doing this, Hinds are apparently often rather liberal in their interpretation of ROE (especially in CM:SF).

The scenario is one of the default ones - name is "The Cotton Route." I'm not sure if it was edited from the base QB map - probably the trenches. 

The Soviets get quite a few points for body count but the real winning move is getting the trucks through for them. It's a scenario where its more about denying the objective than achieving your own. I'm mighty tempted to do a swapped PBEM with Mish sometime soon. The BMDs proved themselves to be quite capable little vehicles; on the face of it pushing through the ambush isn't actually that poor an idea. Had he moved around the identified mines with a bit more care I think he would've done it.

Ammo and ability to kill the BMDs are two things sorely lacking for the fighters in that scenario. If you circle the cattle as the Soviets and and put down enough fire I can see them being able to push through the fireswept zone with minimal loss of the light skins. Of course, dismounting Paras to occupy the heights should be a possible course of action depending on what's happening.

Top marks for the scenario; the deployment zone for BLUFOR is quite wide and allows for a thousand different ways to ambush. There's a surplus of trenches too which prevents the Soviets from just plastering the pre-known fighting positions. Too many to do with the forces at hand.

Sorry - meant Rinaldi

I still think that mines are an effective roadblock in this case.  One cannot be sure there is any way around them, and simply running trucks into a known minefield to see if or how many get blown up seems a rather unrealistic expectation (in RL).   That would be my only criticism of the design - assuming the Russians cannot win by simply fighting back and destroying the Uncons. 

Edited by Erwin

The gunships will only engage if there's a target, so there's no loss to you if they don't spot anything AFAIK, they'll still be there on call until they actually expend their payload.....With that in mind I reckon you guys should replay using the same sides, I suspect things might turn out rather differently.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some views from my remodelled version of 'QB Afghan M-R sno_21', the big map with the highway and the river valley:

The village has moved slightly.....As seen here from the mine across the valley:

Lo5PvAH.jpg

It's small, but it's quite tightly packed in there:

cn4Nko5.jpg

And they have some lovely gardens:

hMpEtOI.jpg

On the flat ground by the river (where the village used to be) we now have several farming compounds (still one more to build in this area on the left) and associated fields and some warehousing/industrial buildings (the new hill village is just visible top left):

4TbjWgP.jpg

The current baldness of the valley on the right is a bit embarrassing (I took out all the original foliage & almost all of the flavour objects), but those familiar with the original may note that the contours are subtly different, allowing some slightly more interesting routing for small infantry units.  :ph34r:

All subject to change as constant tweaking and revision takes place across the whole map.....Slow process, but it makes a pleasant change from the claustrophobic streets of Mosul.  ;)

Comments from anyone who's been to Afghanistan would be very welcome, I'm basing my work on images from the Korengal Valley.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Some views from my remodelled version of 'QB Afghan M-R sno_21', the big map with the highway and the river valley

Nice work. Very scenic.  Just needs some pillars of smoke rising from destroyed vehicles and the sound of Hind gunships in the air ................ :D  

You can add that yourself!  :D

As you know I've been following the various threads discussing alternative campaign concepts and thought I might try something very small along similar lines, perhaps a company of DRA infantry assigned to secure a critical sector of the highway, something like that.....I already had an extended version of the basic map (the road network connects in the north), but like most of the default maps it's not terribly Afghan looking so I decided to have a play around.

As I said, I'd already connected up the northern bridge (which is actually a ford now) with the road leading north out of the old town/village/whatever, I then stripped the map right back.....I've remodelled the contours (it's actually still on-going) to open up alternative routes along the various valleys, the foliage is being replaced based on what I'm seeing in photos from the Korengal (& elsewhere, I'm trying to make this map as broadly representative and useable as possible).  I've also completely redistributed the settlement pattern, there are now quite a lot more buildings on the map and the compounds in particular are total fortresses, so making friends with the local Tribals might be a good idea.

Here's a view of the most complete section along the highway to give you a broader overview of the new terrain (this is the bit I'm currently working on):

flCVH6q.jpg

PS - I got a bit creative with the final compound in the former town/village/whatever area, so we now have a mosque:

S5nV8S8.jpg

More baldness on the far side of the highway.....Haven't touched that bit yet.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 month later...

Wintery combat scene

Mods being used...

-My winter mod (based on work by Worghern)

-CMFI HD Terrain by Aris

-CMSF HD buildings & bunkers by Kieme

-Vein effects x3 

-Bodkins red tracers

-Bill Lockton, Smaragadler, Harry Crofton & Sergei CMA unit & face mods merged

CM Afghanistan Winter 1.png

DZj8Fdl.png

Edited by 37mm