Luckysmoker

500kg air support bomb (Su-24М/Su-24M2/Su-34) is bugged

Warning: English is not my native language.

I've been testing different air support assets in 1.03 and 1.04 versions of the game.
What i noticed is that 500kg bombs, after they are released from the plane are acttually never appear on the map itself.
Plane ammunition count is just decreasing by 1, there is a sound of jet fly-by (very rarely whisteling sound of a bomb can be heared too), but that is everythig that i got. Neither explosion nor the bomb itself can be seen anywhere on the map or in the air. This is not the ocasional bug, i have tried it in several different missions and maps. 500kg bomb was seen zero times, no matter what i tried.

This bug affects:
Ukranian Su-24M (regular & antitank)
Russian Su-24M2 (regular & antitank)
Russian Su-34 (regular & antitank)

I've tried almost any possiple conditions:
-air controller team have a direct visual on a target
-target is inside UAV observe range (UAV is deployed by the same air controller who calls the air strike itself)
-point target (vehicles, infantry, empty buildings)
-area targets
-any possible combination of what mentioned above

but 500kg bomb never appeared.

I have contacted another person who have a combat engine 4 upgraded version of the game, and after some testing he said that he get the same result as me, even in a newer version of the game.

This bug do not affect 515kg bomb carried by Su-25/Su-25SM.
I am aware that there is another bug, that can occasionally force any other bombs not to appear too, but this one with 500kg bomb happens every single time (in other words I have never seen 500kg bomb to appear since i started playing the game).

I have recorded a detailed video of this bug happening, so i will leave you a link to it uploaded to youtube.
--------
https://youtu.be/bs5zRk_g6RQ
--------

I would really like if that info will reach the dev team, so we might be sure that they are aware of this issue.

If someone can successfully use 500kg bomb, it will be great if he will describe the exact circumstances like: scenario, type of target, type of fire mission, blue/red side, real time/wego, etc.

Edited by Luckysmoker

14 hours ago, Stagler said:

I reported this bug in June 2015, almost 2 years ago.

Good to see it hasn't been fixed yet...

I've read you thread and it looks like we are talking about 2 different bugs interfering with each other.

Bug 1: Any jet (F-16 and F-15E was mentioned in your thread too) can cometimes "loose" their bombs with no effect on target or map. And this problem will be inprinted in a savefile, carrying the bug over to anyone who will run this file. I have seen this bug myself in a test battle i made. On the first try both russian Su-24M2 released all their 1525kg bombs successfully (4 out of 4). On the second try 2 ukranian Su-24M delivered only 1 1525kg bomb ot the target, while 3 bombs just "dissapeared".

Bug 2: Any jet equipped with 500kg bomb will lose it with no effect on target. Every single time, every possible scenario. To be honest i start to feel like the devs just made a mistake in the name of the bomb (maybe the initial idea was to give those jets the same bombs as Su-25SM have - 515kg, but it may be misnamed as 500kg, causing a bug).

Edited by Luckysmoker

I was seeing it on both the Su25 dumb bombs and Su24 dumb bombs, so yeah it could be two separate bugs relating to each bomb type. Although the similarity between each bug seems to be too coincidential. I think aircraft weaponry in general needs a look at to weed out both of these problems.

2 hours ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

Any news about if it was fixed?

This bug is a cmbs world heritage already and protected by UNESCO.

I just made a test with version 2.10, game engine 4.

Su-24M2 (antitank). It is dropping the bombs but interestingly enough, only after firing the two missiles (which is a waste since there are only enemy infantry in that area)

With further testing I found that sometimes it is releasing bomb first. It is quite hectic.

Base Profile 06.22.2017 - 11.05.45.03.jpg

I wonder what approach angle the planes are coming in at. If its considered a high threat environment they could be coming in low and fast. That would result in an greatly elongated probable impact point. I haven't played with planes for ages. I believe F15 comes in much higher than the 'mudfighters' so the probable impact point of iron bombs would be closer to circular.

I recall news footage from the 70s(?) of NATO fighter jets practicing toss bombing. The fighter roars in at 200 ft,,  pitches up 45 degrees, the bomb separates, the plane rolls and is heading back in the opposite direction by the time the bomb impacts anywhere between 3 and 5 miles downrange. Particularly helpful if you're delivering a nuclear weapon.

Edited by MikeyD

This still seems to happen in CM:SF on occasion too.....During my Mosul testing I've had quite a few pickled bombs that never showed up, always 500kg (from USAF F-16CJ).  I'm not sure if they were definitely released (I didn't check sadly) but I will the next time it happens (if possible).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead