"April 9th" (Danish War Movie)

I watched a movie called "April 9th" last night about a small group of Danish bicycle soldiers resisting the German invasion in 1940. The country capitulated only six hours after the Germans crossed the border but the lads put up a brave fight, taking out at least one armoured car with a machine gun along with several German soldiers. It was a totally futile battle but they did their duty. In the first contact with the Germans they ambushed a convoy consisting of halftracks, armoured cars, and motorcycles with sidecars. I really wish we had motorcycles with sidecars in CM:BN as I would love to recreate this small engagement (using probably Polish troops for the Danes).

Anyway, if you haven't seen this movie (Danish language with English subtitles) I would recommend it to anyone. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

I agree. Just watched it myself yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised too. A very good movie in my opinion. Being a dane, I of course find the topic interesting and have done a bit of reading on the subject. And as far as I can tell, it is very historically accurate.

But in the context of WWII, the invasion of Denmark was nothing but a tiny skirmish - and our country got through the war relatively unscathed.

By the way: A CM player named Hans made a great scenario on the fighting in Haderslev (the final battle scene in movie) for CMx1 (CMAK ETO mod set, if I remember correctly). I have been trying to recreate it for CMBN, but got stuck on not being able to find a historical map of the town to work from. Perhaps I'll try again some time.

4 hours ago, Cpl Steiner said:

I really wish we had motorcycles with sidecars in CM:BN as I would love to recreate this small engagement (using probably Polish troops for the Danes).

2 hours ago, umlaut said:

I have been trying to recreate it for CMBN, but got stuck on not being able to find a historical map of the town to work from. Perhaps I'll try again some time.

I have been thinking about the exact same thing - would be interesting to try to recreate it. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider it. Actually I did some google maps searching for the locations, but eventually I felt it would just be too weird having Polish voices for Danish soldiers :)

Also, I don't think the famous Madsen machinegun is included in the game?

4 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Slightly tangential but there's also a fine film called "A War" about a Danish junior officer in Afghanistan. Vastly superior to anything Hollywood has done on GWOT. 

Not entirely unlike the recent situation with 'Marine A'.....The enormous probability of 'cock-ups' of one sort or another is just one of countless issues wilfully overlooked in the rush to war IMHO.  :unsure: 

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2017 at 7:43 PM, umlaut said:

By the way: A CM player named Hans made a great scenario on the fighting in Haderslev (the final battle scene in movie) for CMx1 (CMAK ETO mod set, if I remember correctly). I have been trying to recreate it for CMBN, but got stuck on not being able to find a historical map of the town to work from. Perhaps I'll try again some time.

@umlaut

Don't know if it's still relevant for you, but I did a quick pic-Google on 'bykort haderslev 1940", and this came up:

Bykort_Byvandring_001.jpg

http://haderslevwiki.dk/index.php/Byvandring_i_den_gamle_bydel

The Copenhagen Library also lists something here, just browser search "1940" or German "Hadersleben" or "heereskarte".

http://www.kb.dk/maps/kortsa/2012/jul/kortatlas/subject206/en?notAfter=&notBefore=&per_page=100&q=Haderslev+&search_field=all_fields

And this site might help you:

https://hkpn.gst.dk/

(Undskyld, at jeg ikke lige skriver på dansk ...)

Edited by CEngelbrecht

On 4/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, Bulletpoint said:

I have been thinking about the exact same thing - would be interesting to try to recreate it. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider it. Actually I did some google maps searching for the locations, but eventually I felt it would just be too weird having Polish voices for Danish soldiers :)

Also, I don't think the famous Madsen machinegun is included in the game?

I must admit, such „weird“ substitutions put me off some otherwise interesting CMx1 scenarios. I remember some Spanish Civil War Scenarios, based on CMAK (?, hm, not quite sure actually).

Anyway, though the overall result may have been about right, they simply did not look right.

39 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

I remember some Spanish Civil War Scenarios, based on CMAK (?, hm, not quite sure actually).

The SCW mod was for CM:BB, but it was more than just a few scenarios, if one was so inclined there were enough mods to justify a second CM:BB/SCW install (I had one and loved it).  B)

39 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Anyway, though the overall result may have been about right, they simply did not look right.

Not true....They looked fine if you had enough mods, mine even sounded fine. 

There really were a lot of mods for this one, IIRC there were a couple of dedicated websites too. 

PS - I believe I've still got a fair number of the scenarios, but sadly none of the mods (I may still have a hard drive with all of it somewhere).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

15 hours ago, CEngelbrecht said:

@umlaut

Don't know if it's still relevant for you, but I did a quick pic-Google on 'bykort haderslev 1940", and this came up:

The Copenhagen Library also lists something here, just browser search "1940" or German "Hadersleben" or "heereskarte".

http://www.kb.dk/maps/kortsa/2012/jul/kortatlas/subject206/en?notAfter=&notBefore=&per_page=100&q=Haderslev+&search_field=all_fields

And this site might help you:

https://hkpn.gst.dk/

Thanks a lot.

I havent been making many new scenarios the past couple of years. But if I begin again, I will defininitely look more into this. It would be fun to recreate.

Møjn ;)

On 4/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, Bulletpoint said:

I felt it would just be too weird having Polish voices for Danish soldiers :)

Well,  the voice files are moddable too, arent they?
How is your synnejysk?
"Ka´ vi så få noe ro å æ flank´?" :D

On 4/13/2017 at 1:37 AM, Erwin said:

People have been asking for motorbikes and sidecars with MG's since CM1 came out in 1998.  I am sure it's the very next thing on BF's "to do" list.  ;)

That's a pretty optimistic thing to say. Why not horses while we're at it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...