Best computer for CM?

Hello my CM friends

I'm about to buy a new computer. But what matters most when I'm playing CM?

current computer: Core I7 950 3,06 Ghz (Turbo 3,2) 4c 8t. 18Gb 1600mHz RAM. GeForce 970, and only HDD´s. No SSD, Win 10.

I´m about to buy a brand new computer. But for CM games, what is most important? I like to play big Battles, Battalion+ Vs Battalion+. About 1000-2000 soldiers on each side Vs the Ai. So i guess quite CPU intensive? But what matters most in that case? 4,6 or 8 cores? or high Clock, like the 4 Core I7 7700K? And what about GPU and HDD/SSD?

Any tip from CM players that have changed their hardware is welcome

Regards Richard

Edited by Armorgunner

Faster single core is most important.  CM has not progressed to take advantage of anything beyond a single core.  More cores will help other stuff and games like ARMA3, but CM, except some minor off loading of background tasks.

In fact, it might sound regressive, but faster i5s are better than an i7 with more cores.

1 hour ago, Armorgunner said:

Hello my CM friends

I'm about to buy a new computer. But what matters most when I'm playing CM?

current computer: Core I7 950 3,06 Ghz (Turbo 3,2) 4c 8t. 18Gb 1600mHz RAM. GeForce 970, and only HDD´s. No SSD, Win 10.

I´m about to buy a brand new computer. But for CM games, what is most important? I like to play big Battles, Battalion+ Vs Battalion+. About 1000-2000 soldiers on each side Vs the Ai. So i guess quite CPU intensive? But what matters most in that case? 4,6 or 8 cores? or high Clock, like the 4 Core I7 7700K? And what about GPU and HDD/SSD?

Any tip from CM players that have changed their hardware is welcome

Regards Richard

Am shocked that your current machine doesn't play CM just fine.  I have a game machine that is about 7 years old, Win 7, and nowhere near your specs and I have no problem playing CM2 on max quality settings. 

However, I get my machines made for me by XI Computers (in CA) and I wonder if getting a professional game system build makes a difference as the XI guys know how to max performance with compatible components.

24 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Am shocked that your current machine doesn't play CM just fine.  I have a game machine that is about 7 years old, Win 7, and nowhere near your specs and I have no problem playing CM2 on max quality settings. 

However, I get my machines made for me by XI Computers (in CA) and I wonder if getting a professional game system build makes a difference as the XI guys know how to max performance with compatible components.

When i have problems with fps, it is only when i do my favorite quick battles. 1000-2000 soldiers on each side. "Only infantery battles works good", But even a few armored vehicles (like 15-30), and they move like on adhesive, in those large battles. In smaller battles, like company vs company its no problem. Even when PzGr with HT and even tanks as support attack an similar force.

2 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

When i have problems with fps, it is only when i do my favorite quick battles. 1000-2000 soldiers on each side. "Only infantery battles works good", But even a few armored vehicles (like 15-30), and they move like on adhesive, in those large battles. In smaller battles, like company vs company its no problem. Even when PzGr with HT and even tanks as support attack an similar force.

2,000 guys? Wow. Those are a lot of bullets to track. 

How big are the maps? 

16 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

2,000 guys? Wow. Those are a lot of bullets to track. 

How big are the maps? 

2000 guys are no problem. But 2000 guys on each side are, especially if they have AFV´s or tanks. Then the AFV´s and tanks moves like snails. The tanks, and HF on the enemy side moves like snails if there are more than a total of 1500-2000 men.

Edited by Armorgunner

1 minute ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I am impressed that the engine isn't giving up the ghost - the biggest I have tried was a Bn attacking in close order "Ponyri Style" and it turned out to be like taking a tour of a charnel house.

The dense fog probably keeps thing within range of what the engine can do.

Inf vs inf, is not a problem. But tanks and halftracks move like snails if the battle is to big.

19 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

But the question was the computer, right? What does the most impact in CM?

Well, the kind of computer you need also depends on the kind of loads you think you'll be want it to process on a regular basis. As  @Thewood1 pointed out, most of the processing is confined to a single CPU core - yet I suspect some work is done on the GPU judging from some of the bugs that have popped out over the years. Another different matter is the rendering of the action - in that case you would mostly exercising your GPU triangle processing prowess and the bandwidth between the CPU and the GPU.

Are those scenarios playable at all in Real Time? If WEGO, how does compare the time necessary to process the 1-minute "impulse" with real time? That is, takes like 1/100th of a minute or way more? 

I am also thinking of buying a new computer soon, before the end of the fiscal year.

PS: I have found very useful games like Total War Warhammer and IL-2 Shturmovik to figure out  what are the bottlenecks in the system.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

17 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Well, the kind of computer you need also depends on the kind of loads you think you'll be want it to process on a regular basis. As  @Thewood1 pointed out, most of the processing is confined to a single CPU core - yet I suspect some work is done on the GPU judging from some of the bugs that have popped out over the years. Another different matter is the rendering of the action - in that case you would mostly exercising your GPU triangle processing prowess and the bandwidth between the CPU and the GPU.

Are those scenarios playable at all in Real Time? If WEGO, how does compare the time necessary to process the 1-minute "impulse" with real time? That is, takes like 100 less time or more? 

I am also thinking of buying a new computer soon, before the end of the fiscal year.

For now, i only play RT Quick battles against the AI at Warrior level. The last time i played WEGO was with CMBB and CMAK. I really should try it again

Edited by Armorgunner