City Street Paths

Playing in a very built up urban area.  House has two doors.  One door is totally protected from fire and my troops are on that side of the building.  The other door is totally exposed and my troops have to go around the building in order to enter from there.. 

In two different instances now my guys have chosen to go around the building and try to enter from the door on the exposed side. In each case I am "pretty sure" that the instructions that I gave placed them just outside the correct door and then instructed to enter.

What is it that I likely did wrong?  There were guys already inside the building, is it possible for "overcrowding to lead to this? Is it possible (likely?) that the path that I drew somehow cut a corner and gave them more flexibility than I wanted to give them?  As I look over the dead bodies lying outside the door, any suggestions as to how to prevent this??

I was having a similar problem in a battle I was playing in Battle for Normandy. My soldiers were charging around the house and into the exposed street to use the main entrance of the building instead of using the much safer rear entrance. I've found that placing a move order right outside the door you want your soldiers to use tends get around this issue. 

5 hours ago, John S said:

<Snip> In two different instances now my guys have chosen to go around the building and try to enter from the door on the exposed side. In each case I am "pretty sure" that the instructions that I gave placed them just outside the correct door and then instructed to enter.  What is it that I likely did wrong?  <Snip>  

Sounds like their path might have been blocked.  An elevation difference can cause this.  If the building is on a slope and the covered side of the building is partially sunk into the slope this will cause an elevation difference between the outside and the interior which may block the door.  This elevation difference can also block the path through a breach when using the Blast command. 

But you also said some troops were already in the house.  Did they enter the house through the door on the covered side?    

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's common that the designer has made an error in placement of doors - they have to match in both building walls IIRC.  That is the probable issue.

I don't believe he was referring to movement between buildings, but rather just entering a building and his team was going to the wrong entrance.

There are a lot of items that can lead to that, I've seen flavor objects block entry, walls etc.  In addition there was a bug sometime back in CMBN that occurred for certain buildings that denied entry as well. My dim recollection is that was fixed, but sometimes these issues are "baked" into a map and can't apply the fix unless the offending item is deleted and re added.  If you have a save or at least the map and can pinpoint the location I'd be happy to take a look.

Thank you all for your help.  Sorry for the delay in responding - the cold/flu going around leveled me for a few days.

I went on and finished the Quick Battle but I believe that I saved the game at the correct point so I think I will take some time to go back and explore and see if I can figure out what went wrong.  Thanks again.