Mosul (Iraq) The small red-headed child of an epic MOUT map!

On 3/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, General Jack Ripper said:
On 3/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, Erwin said:

Nice video...  but, presumably the troopers wouldn't run out in front of the M1 as it was firing in RL(?)

Most likely, no. Not without some ruptured eardrums at the very least.

I was thinking of the discussion re being too close to an 81mm mortar when it fired creating serious injuries.  Must be much worse being close to a 120mm.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, General Jack Ripper said:

Most of my casualties came from the last ten turns or so, as I simply threw bodies into the fire.

Yeah, this is my common experience.  It's very tricky pacing oneself in a game - one can be brilliant at attacking carefully, conserving men and equipment for 90% of the game, and then all goes to hell in the last 10 minutes.  Exactly what happened playing CMSF2's "Breaking the Bank".   Even tho' managed to get a Total Victory, it seemed that the large friendly casualties would have made the Brit unit incapable of further action.  So is that really a win?

`Good-morning; good-morning!' the General said 
When we met him last week on our way to the line. 
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead, 
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine. 
`He's a cheery old card,' grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.
. . . . 
But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

• 7 months later...

If there is a map of Mosul, or at least NW Mosul I would purchase SF2 today. I may have spent some time on those lovely streets. 

A couple of notes from that vacation:

I was (and remain) a huge fan of CMBB. When CMSF came out I purchased it immediately. I played one mission and never played again. Strykers were getting knocked out left and right by RPG-7s. Unless the ammo for those RPGs has changed significantly since 2004 the odds of destroying a Stryker with an RPG hit should be about 5%. That's a hit. Only about 20% fired actually hit especially once return fire begins (admittedly this probably had more to do with the experience level of the enemy). To be honest I've never seen a hit once suppression begins. 7 Strykers hit with RPGs (including one hit 4 times) led to one total loss (we used to store our POL on the outside...stopped that poor practice after a second platoon Stryker burned to the ground...no casualties and the only lost Stryker from combat) and one penetration leading to one casualty (that was ugly but he was evaced to Germany and survived). I believe RPGs are MASSIVELY overpowered in this simulation.

My next complaint...mortars. In particular 60mm mortars. I must admit, whether gaming or RL I have never taken mortars seriously. I used to mock our mortars saying their only purpose was to lay smoke. (Ironic as my kid is now a mortarman in the 101st...he wouldn't follow me into the decisive branch...armor. Sad.) So...summer 2004 in Mosul. Bn is having a volleyball tourney. Hot summer day, no missions going on....most of the Bn is gathered round watching the companies compete. (It was dull....I was actually in my conex playing games). Insurgents fire of a string of 60mm rounds. 3 land right on the court where they are playing volleyball. The rest of the Bn gathered in tightly. This should have been a disaster of epic proportions. As it was a third of those there got purple hearts...for scratches. Not one single serious injury. One hundred guys in T Shirts and shorts (no armor) and 3 60mm rounds land right in their midst...doing nothing. Mortars are overpowered as well!

Edited by Attilaforfun

Not really Mosul, but worth addressing IMHO:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/27/iraqi-special-forces-deploy-baghdad-60-protesters-killed/

I dearly hope that CTS don't do it.  :mellow:

@Combatintman  I'd imagine you've already seen this, but figured I should draw your attention to it, just in case you haven't.

16 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not really Mosul, but worth addressing IMHO:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/27/iraqi-special-forces-deploy-baghdad-60-protesters-killed/

I dearly hope that CTS don't do it.  :mellow:

@Combatintman  I'd imagine you've already seen this, but figured I should draw your attention to it, just in case you haven't.

I check my colleague's Iraq reporting every day so yes I'm pretty tuned in to what is going on there, along with events here in Afghanistan, Mozambique, Yemen and this week, the Sudan.

• 4 weeks later...

The name rings a bell.....I have a feeling @Combatintman may have done something in that area?

If he hasn't covered it already, I'd be happy to give it a look.  B)

PS - Just looking at it on Google Maps.....Small is relative!  That's almost as challenging an area as West Mosul itself!  :o

PPS - Could you define an area or particular part of the fighting that I could concentrate on?  Anything over a KM a side is going to take a hellishly long time to make and the overall accuracy is likely to suffer too.  IMHO it's easier (& better) to make several small (if neccessary, slightly misaligned) maps of an area, rather than attempt to bend things to fit into a single larger one.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

It is too big to fit on a single map and be playable.  The Citadel is difficult to make with the existing mapping tools and fitting the elevations, road network and buildings to the correct ground scale would be hard.  However, feel free to prove me wrong, the editor button can be clicked by anyone who owns the game … hint hint.

From Alshohada bridge to the clover leaf where MSR 1 cuts east are where most of the gun fights happened. Majority of early IED attacks on occurred on MSR 1 from that clover leaf to the west edge of town.

One platoon of Iraqi Inf in Toyotas west bound across the bridge reinforced by a platoon of TOW Strykers + XO Stryker and his team coming from the N side of the agricultural area in the river bend vs a couple of RPG armed insurgent teams located roughly around the clover leaf. There was a Pepsi factory just south of the highway west of the bridge. Was. I drink Coke. A good sized company fight 500 meters south of the Yarmick traffic circle where MSR 1 intersects with that road coming into town from the west. Convoy got hit at the intersection and the company ran out to circle the wagons. Did I mention that was at the same time the TOW Strykers were fighting to the north w the XO trying to get to the rest of the company? :)

Crunchy...My map making skills are...limited but I am learning. Please don't take any of anything I say as criticism. On the contrary. I am in awe at what you all do.

Edited by Attilaforfun

2004. Bde Cav was holding west of Mosul centered on Tal Afar. To big an area for too few troops and situation got out of control. 1/23 and 2/3 Inf Bns plus Bde in Mosul proper and 5/20 Inf in the towns to the South. 1/23 and Cav switched places for a couple days. Tal Afar reoccupied but Cav took casualties in Mosul while maintaining a show of force. 

Haven't read this and I'm sure it's massively exaggerated but here's one of the early fights when Iraq changed to a war zone:

https://www.amazon.com/City-Fire-Ernesto-Haibi-ebook/dp/B003YCPGGO/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=city+of+fire+mosul&qid=1574678730&sr=8-1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Havoc has plenty of capacity to spare, it's an absolute monster of a helicopter.  B)

The designers were so confident of its cockpit armour that they sat in it while it was tested, I s**t you not:

PS - Did anyone else find themselves shouting "Dakka, Dakka, Dakka!  Die ISIS Dogs!" etc. at their monitor while driving the camera around on that 3600 video?  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The designers were so confident of its cockpit armour that they sat in it while it was tested, I s**t you not:

How much does it cost to be allowed to do that?  Be a great additional experience during a trip to Russia to fly one of their fighters.  B)

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It looks like the original (CM:SF1) version of 'Ashsh Al Dababir' is out of circulation, so here's a new link:

5rwLGCr.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s31fwa76nfmlxwz/Ashsh al-Dababir.btt?dl=0

@Bootie  Please could you add this to the CM:SF1 section of TSD when you have a moment.  B)

Well, about time. 🙂 Good job!!!  Very intense MOUT scenario.