Mosul (Iraq) The small red-headed child of an epic MOUT map!

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just played on one of your maps (CM:BS - Into The Breach), very enjoyable.  B)

Base design was mine, but the designer tweaked it and changed the character of the fight.  Very cool and shows what can be done without a huge amount of effort if you want to create something a little different.  That one was a blast playtesting.

The full map is called Ukrainian Crossroads.  Not sure if that made it in or not as it logically should have been in master maps as there are no AI plans and it is about 5 x 5 km.

Putting it in TPG first just seemed like the right thing to do TBH.....Plus I'm still fiddling!  ;)

I'm working on part two slowly, but a big part of me is sore tempted to wait for CM:SF II.....In the most recent video from @SLIM a fighter team gets properly mullahed (Do you see what I did there?  :P ) because the dumbasses are looking out of the wrong side of the building, a simple 'Face' command would have fixed that.  Then there's the grief I had sorting the victory points out, functional red occupy would have really helped there etc. etc.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, Erwin said:

-SNIP-

And so on...

Keep the good work up!

I'm putting a brief explanation of linear danger area into the next video, but you can also see a bit from my TTP videos.
I recorded an hour of gameplay on Monday, but I need to edit video parts out of it, so I'll have some Cold Waters videos going up for the next few weeks.

If you hold your demo charges until you "absolutely" need them, then you'll never use them. Remember, any enemy troops inside the building will be immediately suppressed by the blast, even guys on upper floors will get a piece of it. Blasting down the wall is the absolute safest way to enter an occupied building, bar none.

Of course, sometimes I just like to blow things up, too. Never count that bit out. ;)

When hunting up a multi-story building, I want them to get to the top, and not stop unless they come under fire. Observation is secondary to reaching their destination safely.
For example, the large tower at the mosque really only has good windows at the top, so there's no need to use any other floor as an O.P.

...and thanks.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Keep meaning to take time to thank @SLIM for making these videos.....I'm enjoying them a lot, they're particularly interesting for me as I know what's coming (more or less) so his reactions to events will be fascinating on several levels.  B)

You've thanked me enough already.

Now, allow me to thank you for a fiendishly nerve-wracking scenario.
I too am looking forward to how my more "environmentally friendly" approach will work out.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, sburke said:

That doesn't bode well for Amazon delivery....

Drones used for delivery are pre-programmed with their flight path instructions, and are entirely automated.
They require no remote control assistance.

Edited by SLIM

Great stuff.....I eagerly await the next instalments, the arrival of the armoured reinforcements marks the start of the real fight!  I think now may be the time that your initial plan pays big dividends, I certainly look forward to finding out.  B)

PS - To guarantee victory, you should at least attempt to push a spearhead towards PL Charlie, it marks the edge of an area of open (by urban Mosul standards) ground that divides the Hayy al Karamah district.  The Maqbara Road is probably the easiest route in terms of manoeuvre, but of course, ISIS would know that too!  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

But which side should be Blue?  :blink:

It's all gone a bit pear-shaped:

Kurdistan Security Council has said in a statement that "Peshmerga Forces have destroyed at least five US Humvees used by PMF [Popular Mobilization Forces.]"  The following is the full text of the statement. 
"At approximately 2330hrs Iraqi forces and Iranian-backed Popular Mobilization Forces advanced from Taza Khormatu in South Kirkuk in a major, multi-pronged operation intended to enter the city and take over K1 abase and oil fields.
At approximately 0230hrs they attacked Peshmerga Forces from two fronts in the Taza-Kirkuk intersection and Maryam Bag bridge, both in South of Kirkuk, using US military equipment, including Abrams tanks and Humvees.
Significant Forces have also been deployed to Maktab Khalid intersection in South West of Kirkuk as part of the operation. 
Peshmerga Forces have destroyed at least five US Humvees used by PMF. Peshmerga will continue to defend Kurdistan, its people and interests. This was an unprovoked attack following days of Iraqi military deployments to Kurdistan’s borders"

Iranian backed Shiite Militias are already involved, looks like 9th Armoured are in, was hoping CTS might get to sit this one out, but those are some very familiar looking HMMWVs.....Poor f*****g Kurds, when will they ever get a break?  Or maybe they just did?   

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I think the Iraqis may be biting off more than they can chew here. The fight against ISIS may have been tough, but that was only because they were dug in to urban settings. As a force the peshmerga are gonna be a different league. I expect a lot of this is Iranian driven. The Iraqis are gonna have to fight this without US support. I expect to see a lot of recently desceased Shiite militia before things calm down. 

It just does not bode well at all. Ironically this is one of those times when the right thing to do is for Iran and Turkey and Iraq to say lets cooperate and carve out a Kurdish state. But that's not going to happen. It would be the least bloody and the best for all the people living with in that area. What is best for the people is not really a calculus that will be happening in Ankara, Terran, Baghdad or even DC.

I quite agree with your point Ian, the Kurds deserve a homeland of their own.

I don't think you can realistically blame Iran & ignore Turkey, but let us not forget however exactly how the region got into this bloody awful mess in the first place:

So since we broke it, IMHO the onus is on us in the west to fix it.  :mellow:

As for the various factions combat capabilities, while I'm sure the Peshmerga may well be a match for CTS man for man, their T-55s won't last long against M1s & T-72s and their airforce is rather hopelessly outclassed.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Straying into politics here and the issue is far more complicated. The divisions in the region go back centuries. The west hasn’t helped matters, but I wouldn’t sat the west owns the Shi’a/Sunni divide which is frankly the biggest problem they face in the Mid East.

Speaking strictly to the current fighting near Kirkuk, the Kurdish people have faced this fight in Iraq since the late 1960s.  At best you could say the the west eliminated the unified power of the Iraqi regime to wage war on the Kurds. We certainly did not create the Kurdish issue in Iraq.  You can’t even blame it on Sykes Picot. The Ottoman Empire only had direct control for some 85 years. Rule of the area had been constantly fought over by the Iranians, Arabs and mongols for hundreds of years before that.  Strangely enough their current situation is not vastly different from 300 years ago with once again Turkey, Iran and an Arab state (s) all opposed to an independent Kurdistan. 

My point was that we had the opportunity to implement stability and didn't, now a century later we're still making it worse.  :unsure:

Good point re: Sunni/Shia divide, frankly I think the lot of them should pack it in and become Sufis.....They'd have a lot more fun (and live longer)!  :D 

BTW - The Kurds appear to be in full scale retreat, K-1 is in Iraqi hands and there are huge convoys of Kurds pulling out of Kirkuk:

22498955_528817424125788_190558277780286

db323c3a7ef69dfde2b3386bca868664.gif

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/1071-general-news-thread/?page=38

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 hours ago, sburke said:

I expect a lot of this is Iranian driven.

Me too.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I don't think you can realistically blame Iran & ignore Turkey, but let us not forget however exactly how the region got into this bloody awful mess in the first place:

So since we broke it, IMHO the onus is on us in the west to fix it.  :mellow:

The fire was built a long time ago, way before Saddam poured gasoline onto it, all we did was walk into the room, stumble, trip, and drop a bunch of lit matches all over it.

You're right though, we can't just throw up our hands and say, "Oops!" and hope to walk away with our dignity intact.

Given the fact the satellite photos of the big base near Al Qayyarah have been scrubbed and replaced with outdated versions, something might be in the works.

You can clearly see the censor marking on the most recent images, dated 10/2017.

o1z9qAC.png

Edited by SLIM

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

My point was that we had the opportunity to implement stability and didn't, now a century later we're still making it worse.  :unsure:

Good point re: Sunni/Shia divide, frankly I think the lot of them should pack it in and become Sufis.....They'd have a lot more fun (and live longer)!  :D 

I don’t entirely disagree but I think the mindset that somehow we can fix this was wrong when we invaded Iraq and it is still wrong   Just because the basis of your reasoning is more compassionate than the Bush administration doesn’t mean you’ll be any more successful   A sad truth    

And as much as I opposed the invasion, long term I can’t say it is any worse for the Iraqis than if we hadn’t    Anyone who thinks they know for sure is kidding themselves  Saddam would not have tried to evacuate Fallujah if he’d faced a revolt  he’d have done the same thing as Assad did to Hama  maybe worse.  He’d already gassed the Kurds   Not saying this to excuse western govt actions, but am trying to keep things in perspective  yeah we screwed up, royally    Did we make it worse than it could have been?  Maybe, maybe not.  Can we fix it?  Probably not, never could and still can’t  in our hubris we think we have the ability to impose some kind of order  humanity is not that easy to deal with though   Our mindset on solving the problem starts generally from the wrong place because we don’t understand the complexity of the issue and in our arrogance we feel we don’t need to  so we come stomping in with our size 52 size boots like a bull in a china shop thrashing around and generally creating chaos till we finally say how the f**k do I get out of here  

Well we knew Hashd al Shaabi (PMU) units were going to be involved, but I believe our old friends in the black HMMWVs may have taken the lead (as usual), hence the apparent lack of atrocities (only one report AFAIK, on the rather dodgy Rudaw and against the PMUs not CTS).....Here are our old friends, chilling in the former governor's office:

DMRWEXnU8AAEsDM.jpg

PS - This all very bloody ironic for me as I have a LOT of time for the Kurds.....We really have f****d these people up beyond all imagination, what did we do?  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead