Mosul (Iraq) The small red-headed child of an epic MOUT map!

19 hours ago, sburke said:

Erwin you really need to stop reading alt right news sources.  The west is not in danger of collapse and there is no place in the US functioning under Sharia law  nor in the U.K.  

Meanwhile ny times magazine article on the battle battle for Mosul. It has a panoramic video of what is left of the old city. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/19/magazine/mosul-battle-against-isis.html?_r=0

Sharia Law is coming along just fine without any help, thank you.  Maybe not a big threat today, but with the way thing are going, in another generation... 

https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

http://www.billionbibles.org/sharia/uk-sharia-law.html

https://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2016/11/sharia-law-britain

This makes me quite cross:

He says corruption of this type is particularly rife in the 16th and 9th Iraqi Army Divisions and the Tribal Volunteers (Hashd al-Ashairi), drawn in part from the Shabak minority in the Nineveh Plain.

I expected better of the 9th.  :mellow:

Fortunately however, it seems we can still rely on the CTS:

Civilians in Mosul say they do not fault the behaviour towards them of combat units that have borne the brunt of the fighting, such as the Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS), but they are concerned about what to expect from less well-disciplined troops.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/07/20/the-massacre-of-mosul-more-than-40000-civilians-feared-dead/

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Erwin, those are simply not reliable sources.  :mellow:

Well the Economist is - this link is basically an opinion piece - if you read it, the issues they are talking about are already issues with Orthodox Jewish communities, Catholic parishes and even various Amish and other Christian sects. The true issues are that various religions have a habit of stomping in people's rights the Sharia that is actually an issue is no different at all.

The real problem is there are political groups that like to twist it into some siren cry that our legal system will be swept away and there will be floggings, beheadings and hands chopped off in public parks. Which is utterly ridiculous.

I'm all for getting religious zealots to stop telling Catholics they cannot re-marry or stopping the Church of S from shunning people and splitting families. If the focus was on those issues and they covered all religions the same... But they don't because their true motives are not about social justice at all. Just think about it - if the people spouting this stuff were serious about people's rights why do we not hear them go off about other religion's treatment of women, children and favour "men" in their dispute resolution. Just think on it - if you do you might see the truth.

But we are getting even further off topic now.

Aye, can we maybe stick to poor bloody Mosul now.....Anyone played anything set there yet, apparently there's a scenario?  ;)

TNDsWLx.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfjnp2xy78c1e2g/Ashsh al-Dababir.btt?dl=0

Matter of opinion about the Economist BTW.....Some of us think Economics is much closer to Scientology than Science.  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

19 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Aye, can we maybe stick to poor bloody Mosul now.....Anyone played anything set there yet, apparently there's a scenario?  ;)

I am still not a SF owner waiting for CMSF2 but reading in the mean time.

19 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Matter of opinion about the Economist BTW.....Some of us think Economics is much closer to Scientology than Science.  :D

LOL yeah I hear ya. The study of economics is changing - they are moving from the broken "everyone behaves rationally" to a much more realistic "everyone's decision making is kinda interesting and not always rational even though they think it is". As a consequence economists are getting better results.

Bit irritated that the Kurdish Rudaw news agency is reporting that CTS were filmed abusing ISIS captives, but they provided no link to the video/story.....I believe this may be the video in question:

The troops in question are not CTS they are ERD.

Not going to provide a link to the Rudaw article as it's BS in my opinion.....Counterpunch is not exactly forgiving of human rights abusers (and their standard of journalism is far superior to the massively partisan Rudaw) and even they appear to give CTS a clean slate.  :mellow:

Civilians in Mosul say they do not fault the behaviour towards them of combat units that have borne the brunt of the fighting, such as the Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS), but they are concerned about what to expect from less well-disciplined troops.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 7/20/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TNDsWLx.jpg

Ok, started playing this...very intense for only 10 minutes in.  Nice mix of forces representing CTS...interesting use of "MRAP" and Hummers. :D The freakin' maze of walled compounds is a giant PITA when trying to direct my troops...no doubt there are nasty surprises waiting for them inside some of those compounds.  Very nice scenario which shows CMSF and soon CMSF2 have some serious legs still.

35 minutes ago, grunt_GI said:

The freakin' maze of walled compounds is a giant PITA when trying to direct my troops...no doubt there are nasty surprises waiting for them inside some of those compounds.

Cheers, hope you are enjoying it.....It's definitely a maze in there, but once your artillery has had its say a few times you'll find it easier going.  ;)

If you find any bugged doors/glitched buildings, please let me know (there shouldn't be any by now, but it's always possible to miss one on a map like this).

44 minutes ago, sburke said:

Damn this reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. ?

Yup and we'll be able to do all of it in the new game.....I really can't wait!  :)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Still working on the map for part two of this series, 'Al Hutumah' (The Crusher).....Just built a ruin, it took me an hour!  :rolleyes:

ggwrNAL.jpg

FOWYJj9.jpg

I would very much welcome images of any notable damage done to the map in play-throughs of 'Ashsh al-Dababir', if they're relevant I'll integrate them into the small overlap area of the new map.  I Have two AARs from sburke and a few of my own that I'm working from at present and the destruction follows a definite pattern, but more examles would be welcome.....For some reason I really like seeing the damage that players do to maps, ruins are my current 'thing' it seems!  :)

Please do me one favour though, turn off 'Objectives' in any images you make, for the benefit of those who haven't played this yet.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Very cool urban battle.  

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HsimhFRh.jpg

Blimey!  :o

PS - Somewhat happier to note that Rudaw have very slightly amended their article, they now mention that ERD were in the area too, but still they insist on mentioning CTS.  AFAIK CTS' only involvement with this incident came after one of the locals led them to the site, it was CTS who cleared up ERD's ghastly mess (and had the sheer unmitigated joy of dealing with the relatives too, no doubt).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

So guys, I read countless of times on how to approach or not to approach - roads that have potential IEDs. Which in this case @Sgt.Squarehead made sure we have plenty of surprises.. 

my question - is there a formula on how to approach and detect IEDs before they explode/hit you ? Can troops detect them before carnage ? Thanks

Edited by borg

One cannot (in a scenario timescale) detect mines or IED's without em blowing up first.

Exception:  If you engineers/pioneers sit undisturbed beside unknown mines for a period they will detect them (and then "mark" them).  But, you have to be very lucky to leave pioneers at the right spot to so long, and it is such a long process that it's unrealistic to attempt "mine detection" in this way in the timeframe of a CM2 scenario.

Mines and IED's are of course realistically nasty.  The problem with using em "unmarked" in a game is that one can lose so many men that the mission or campaign can become unplayable and not fun.  For purposes of making a scenario that features IED's or unmarked minefields playable, winnable and fun, designers could ensure there is an additional number of men in the set-up so that a player can lose a certain number of men to IED's or mines without materially affecting the player's chance of successfully completing the mission and "winning".

Re minefields:  Unless the scenario designer has built in a "reserve" of casualties that one can suffer without materially affecting the outcome of the scenario, it would be good to indicate a minefield with "posts" in the way dragonwynn has done in the first mission of his Zitadelle Campaign, or a fence or barbed wire (do minefield signs exist that can be seen by both sides BEFORE a mine detonates?).

Helpful thread on how IED's work:

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, borg said:

is there a formula on how to approach and detect IEDs before they explode/hit you ? Can troops detect them before carnage ?

Normally no**, which IMHO is a little unfair.....I'll let you all into a little secret here, in 'Ashsh al-Dababir' (and my other Mosul stuff) 'Flavour Objects' are very important.  :ph34r:

** The best indicator of the presence of IEDs is spotting a triggerman, killing him is the best way to neutralize them.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead