Mosul (Iraq) The small red-headed child of an epic MOUT map!

Meanwhile, in the real world, the fight goes on:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/04/iraqi-forces-retake-key-town-of-baaj-from-isis

And it hasn't always gone entirely according to plan:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/25/us-mosul-airstrikes-deadliest-attack-iraq-2003

Poor Mosul.  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Moving on:

MorningAfterTheNightBefore_zpsi8paejim.j

Quite a lot of remodelling to do before CTS can continue their push to the Tigris.....There won't be much of Ramadi left in this section of the map at all when I'm done, but I'll be using LLF's block-building technique to create the new scenery. 

In this one there are lots of big compounds (wish I knew what they were).  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Been busy trying to finish off all the other uncompleted CMSF and CMA games I started.  I reckon I put more playing time in than most here.  And now suffering from my regular bout of CM burn-out.  :(  

There seem to be so few people playing any particular title these days.  Hence my comments to you about burning out the few of us here with repeated testing.  My next one when I get my mojo back was going to be "Action & Reaction".  Is the above one "Wicked Wednesday"?  That's on the list, no worries...

Ok...  Then next I think will be the 2nd "Copper Mines" scenario which looks a lot better than the first ("Riots").

It's amazing/shocking how much time is liberated when I don't play CM2!!   Actually getting productive things accomplished!!!  

(Like seeing "Wonder Woman" in IMAX 3D later today, B4 "The Mummy" takes over the theatre.)   B)

Actually, what scenarios are newly available in CMA and CMSF??  Am getting the impression that you started one, then left it incomplete and started another, then left that incomplete and now are starting some more...  It's getting confusing trying to figure out which ones are ready for primetime... 

Edited by Erwin

'Ashsh al-Dababir' (The Hornets' Nest) is the most advanced, it's in the very final stages of testing, basically fine-tuning the VPs.....MOS & sburke are kindly testing this for me at the moment, I await their AARs to see how I did with the VPs issue.  I've just started work on the second scenario, but don't expect much more than teaser images for a month or two.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

41 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Drive E?  You can never have too many drives!  ;)

Erwin, I've PMed you.  B)

lol I hear that. I have a dedicated drive for CM installs and another drive for all the mod files, scenarios etc etc so they don't tie up space if I am not actually currently using them   ?

No worries fella, as and when.....TBH I think I'm probably done with that variant (unless MOS or yourself discover something hideous that I missed) and I will move on to other things (Abdul Gul's War for CM:A) for a bit (I'll will be adding a block at a time to Mosul Mini-Map #2, but doing more than that in each sitting sends my eyeballs wibbly!  :blink: ).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The final phase seems to have begun, CTS are still in there:

_92167145_mediaitem92167144.jpg

mideast-iraq-mosul-759.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40317917

It also seems that CTS have managed to avoid the excesses currently attributed to the ERD and Shia militias.....This makes me very happy indeed.  :)

The Mosul battle seems to be quite hard on tanks, this is one seriously bashed looking Abrams:

58417692c46188a5718b4584.jpg

This T-55 has seen better days too (this shot is actually from a district just to the east of the territory covered in 'Ashsh al-Dababir'):

920x920.jpg

Then, there's this:

img614

PS - @LongLeftFlank I think I just found my Cover-Shot for 'The Crusher';)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Interesting article here:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/world/middleeast/mosul-iraq-isis.html

This was not the mission that American military commanders envisioned for the counterterrorism service when they established it after the United States invasion in 2003. The force’s original mission was to conduct lightning raids against terrorists and insurgents.

“The CTS has made enormous sacrifices since 2014, and many of the old hand are dead, killed in Anbar Province and elsewhere,” said David M. Witty, a retired colonel with the United States Army Special Forces and former adviser to the counterterrorism service, known as CTS.

Very much backs up Combatintman's earlier statements about the misemployment of CTS.....What I hadn't realised is that these were the very same guys who cleared up parts of Ramadi.  :o

Here's one for LLF:

567a26c0d5d240aea0d52a6e44827f51_18.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Interesting article here:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/world/middleeast/mosul-iraq-isis.html

Very much backs up Combatintman's earlier statements about the misemployment of CTS.....What I hadn't realised is that these were the very same guys who cleared up parts of Ramadi:o

And the same guys who cleared up parts of Fallujah ... kind of ironic that you're using a modified Ramadi map to do Mosul don't you think ...;)

A couple of other quotes from that article to note:

'There were no advisers from the American-led coalition in sight' (just like I said).

'A small team, with mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicles, was monitoring the fight from Yarmouk' (use of MRAPs ... just like I said).

Let's be honest fella, the degree of synchronicity has been quite high throughout the design process.....Which is lucky really because as you know, I didn't have a clue where I was going at the start.  :unsure:

All things considered I think it turned out OK.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead