Tonight I tried to write a review for EU3 in Amazon. I was told that it would not be posted because it did not follow their guidelines. This did not greatly surprise me, but I had to try. So just to blow off a little steam, I will reproduce the article here.

------------------

Where's My Game?

Actually, this isn't a review. I would love to write a review of this product, but I can't you see, because Amazon won't let me have it. Oh, they took my money alright, but they won't provide me with a way to download it. And they don't even have a support desk that I could send an e-mail to. Hence, I am writing here.

When I went to download this software, it said to get the deliver2mac download client and gave an address that I could go to to do that. Only when I entered that address in my browser, I got an error 404 message, "not found on this server". Thus everything came to a dead halt. I've searched as well as I could all over Amazon's website, but nowhere could I find a place to bring my problem. I am not a happy customer.

----------------

Michael

Sorry to hear that, you should ask for a refund.

I had recently a similar Catch-22 kind of situation with Amazon, involving a rather  expensive item that arrived to me twisted as if some very heavy weight had squeezed it. Since the packaging wasn't damaged, UPS directed me to Amazon, and Amazon asked me to post it back to its point of departure... Of course the postage cost for me, who doesn't ship bulk orders with thousands of items, was higher than I originally paid to Amazon, so actually I would end paying more money than the item actually costed... without the item.

Anyways, that was my little rant.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

12 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Sorry to hear that, you should ask for a refund.

Downloadable software is not eligible for returns or refunds. Amazon policy, and I can easily see the justification for that. My gripe is that they have not provided a reliable means for me to obtain what I paid for. That is a huge failure to serve their customers honestly. And there is not even any means to communicate the problem to them.

Michael

Might the software company be able to help.....Presumably you've bought the equivalent of a CM licence? 

Perhaps if you contact them and explain the situation, they might be wiling to help out as a goodwill/PR gesture?

I'm not sure Amazon's returns/refunds policy is an issue here as you have never received the 'goods'.

Michael Emrys,

Verily that sucketh! Have never bought that kind of digital content, other than Kindle DLs, but I'm very surprised Amazon Customer Service didn't stand on its head to fix the problem. I consider that operation to be the gold standard of telephone based customer support. Might I suggest you find a great big game board and post over there? Am sure that would interest many and might put some heat on Amazon, too. You might also wish to avail yourself of sites such as Scam.com and RipOff Reports, as well as Yelp. If you've got a halfway decent consumer reporter at a local news station, that's another way to bring the heat. Big corporations HATE negative publicity on TV and can and will go to great lengths to unblacken their eyes by quickly and appropriately addressing the matter. If you use SM or have someone who will tweet, post, Instagram or what have you on your behalf, that's another way to apply pressure. And there are a LOT of gamers out there who will notice what's being said. Good luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for your tips, John. If I ever have problems with Amazon or any other supplier again, I may well take advantage of them. Meanwhile, I found another solution to the problem. I moseyed over to the Apple Store and found the game available for $20 less than Amazon offered. Once I updated my CC information everything went smoothly and I had the game on my HD in a matter of minutes. So somewhat of a happy ending.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Happy to help, and I'm glad you got the game some other way. That said, Amazon still owes you money for a product you never received. The Amazon Customer Service number is 206-922-0880. It operates 24/7 and is staffed by unfailingly polite people who want nothing more than to see you are properly cared for as the customer. If you haven't already, I suggest you take up your problem with the people there. The main number has a specific button to push for downloadable content. If you can't get satisfaction that way, ask for a supervisor and tell that person what happened. In my experience, things will be escalated if unresolvable then and there. Never have I ever wound up screwed over by Amazon when I had a problem and worked it as needed. Indeed, I've had people there break protocol to make sure I was taken care of. If that doesn't work, may I suggest you contact your credit card provider, bank, etc., and dispute the charge?

Regards,

John Kettler

20 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Thanks for the number, John. I looked for and couldn't find one or an e-mail address or any way at all to contact them with my problem. I do note that it is not a toll-free number, which strikes me as a trifle cynical on their part.

Michael

As someone who works in telecom, the rational for US national toll free has largely gone out the window.  Most folks have a mobile plan in the US that does not differentiate between local and long distance anymore.  All Toll free does is cost the owner of the toll free.  You are showing your age Michael.  :D

sburke,

I can recall my family getting $200.00 long distance bills as a result of calls to keep communicating with the far flung Kettler family. Pretty horrifying when that equaled a significant chunk of the mortagage. Never really thought about the point you raised. Thanks to an unlimited free calls and texts family plan my sister has with a bunch of people on it, I don't care about toll free numbers. I just dial. A friend of mine was laid up in a care facility, and he paid Comcast I forget how much for unlimited calls anywhere in the world. He'd call a high level scientist friend in Russia, whistle up an electrical engineer at a big deal technical university in Israel, talk to a Scottish lord he knew in Scotland and so forth. He had a globe-girdling network of friends, colleagues and contacts. Back when, doing something like that probably would've rivaled a mortgage.For a while, texting was ridiculously expensive. Here are some phone company billing horror stories, including the female teenager who, as a result of a telecom merger (Quest and AT&T) was now able to text on what had been a no text plan. This she did, at an astounding rate of 280/day, resulting in a bill of $4800.00! Not only was she grounded and had her phone taken away, but her father smashed it to bits with a hammer, put the remains in a bag and handed it to her! Fortunately, the family was able to get massive relief on a bill which exceeded the cost of several of my cars combined. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler