Jump to content
John Kettler

Thunder Run, by David Zucchino

Recommended Posts

Was doing some research on what happens when a tank takes a hit on turret hydraulics, when up popped the above on Google Books. Will be the first to admit I know very little about it, and what I read in the part which the search found was quite the read. I do see an error on describing what HEPD is, but the accounts of things from the tankers make gripping reading.

Regards,

John Kettler

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good read - worth getting for sure. I started out doing a few scenarios based on some episodes in this book but binned em as struggled to make them fit into a CMSF framework (map size etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, George MC said:

It's a good read - worth getting for sure. I started out doing a few scenarios based on some episodes in this book but binned em as struggled to make them fit into a CMSF framework (map size etc).

Agreed - I rummaged around this as well because until the last couple of years the only descriptions of actions in detail for the Iraq invasion were related to Thunder Run.  I can't remember the exact reason why I discarded the idea of making scenarios but I think it just ended up in the too hard basket because of a number of factors if you were trying to attempt something resembling historical fact which is generally my preference for scenario design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2017 at 0:11 PM, Combatintman said:

Agreed - I rummaged around this as well because until the last couple of years the only descriptions of actions in detail for the Iraq invasion were related to Thunder Run.  I can't remember the exact reason why I discarded the idea of making scenarios but I think it just ended up in the too hard basket because of a number of factors if you were trying to attempt something resembling historical fact which is generally my preference for scenario design.

Maybe scale the scenarios down or just do part of the action.There are some very good texts such as Take Down (Jim Lacey), On Point (Franks) which I suspect you will be aware of. An action based on one of the engagements fought during he battle for Objective Peach. Objective Saints the fight for Baghdad International Airport for example might make good scenarios bu we probably have to accept the game might only portray a small part of these battles. Perhaps just a Company Commander's view. Maybe something like the whole of one of these battles might be gameable if approached as a campaign game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Maybe scale the scenarios down or just do part of the action.There are some very good texts such as Take Down (Jim Lacey), On Point (Franks) which I suspect you will be aware of. An action based on one of the engagements fought during he battle for Objective Peach. Objective Saints the fight for Baghdad International Airport for example might make good scenarios bu we probably have to accept the game might only portray a small part of these battles. Perhaps just a Company Commander's view. Maybe something like the whole of one of these battles might be gameable if approached as a campaign game?

If it is too hard for @George MC - it is too hard for me - I've got plenty of other CMSF stuff on the go anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

If it is too hard for @George MC - it is too hard for me - I've got plenty of other CMSF stuff on the go anyway.

He! Thanks :) The key issue for me with the actions I was interested in was inability to construct suitable highways and overpasses. Many of the useful and CMSF actions took place at these intersections. Creating them in the current CMSF editor was a non-starter - I did have a go, just never worked out as i liked and my "fudge" did not provide the amount of cover I was looking for.

I'm busy with CMRT myself at the moment but I guess @LUCASWILLEN05 no harm in you giving it a shot. As you say maybe pick different actions to model in CMSF as you describe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, George MC said:

He! Thanks :) The key issue for me with the actions I was interested in was inability to construct suitable highways and overpasses. Many of the useful and CMSF actions took place at these intersections. Creating them in the current CMSF editor was a non-starter - I did have a go, just never worked out as i liked and my "fudge" did not provide the amount of cover I was looking for.

I'm busy with CMRT myself at the moment but I guess @LUCASWILLEN05 no harm in you giving it a shot. As you say maybe pick different actions to model in CMSF as you describe.

Sadly I am far to busy with real life course work at the moment :-(. However I know what you mean regarding those overpasses. of the biggest One of the biggest issues with SF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, George MC said:

He! Thanks :) The key issue for me with the actions I was interested in was inability to construct suitable highways and overpasses. Many of the useful and CMSF actions took place at these intersections. Creating them in the current CMSF editor was a non-starter - I did have a go, just never worked out as i liked and my "fudge" did not provide the amount of cover I was looking for.

I'm busy with CMRT myself at the moment but I guess @LUCASWILLEN05 no harm in you giving it a shot. As you say maybe pick different actions to model in CMSF as you describe.

What about taking a situation like Objective Montgomery which involves a fight around an overpass but morphing it from Iraq to Ukraine using a Russian force equipped with the T-72B3. They will still be better than the Replican Guard of course but at leas his way we won't have terrain issues. It will however not be n the Middle East :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...