Jump to content
steepdate

Someone Should Do Something

Recommended Posts

I realize I'll be airbursted to death for saying this, but the lack of optimization is horrible.

There really is no excuse for a modern game to be running this badly.

Can someone start a Kickstarter or something to get CM engine 5.0 up to the present time? I will totally donate. Isn't this how things are done now?

I love Battlefront games and I won't stop playing them. But like yeah.

BTW I just had a squad of Brads open up with multiple TOWs on 4 T-90s ramscooping in a flank move and it was freaking awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

steepdate,

Please tell me you're going to post a video, screenshots or both of the TOW Fusillade vs the Charge of the T-90 Platoon. Also, what on Earth is "ramscooping" about? Never heard of this expression before.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Kettler said:

steepdate,

Please tell me you're going to post a video, screenshots or both of the TOW Fusillade vs the Charge of the T-90 Platoon. Also, what on Earth is "ramscooping" about? Never heard of this expression before.

Regards,

John Kettler

I will attempt to satisfy your request this evening sometime, although I am not much of a video maker.

"Ramscooping" is just a bit of (possibly cognac-induced) science fiction hyperbole on my part. It is a hypothetical propulsion system for spacecraft, using magnetically "scooped" interstellar hydrogen as reaction mass approaching relativistic velocities.

Basically, those tanks were bookin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

steepdate,

Am sure many here will be delighted that you are able to present us with anything at all, let alone a video. Thanks much for the explanation of ramscooping. You didn't imagine it at all--with or without cognac. It's also in the Urban Dictionary, though you need to contact them to provide your particular usage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet

Regards,

John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, steepdate said:

I realize I'll be airbursted to death for saying this, but the lack of optimization is horrible.

There really is no excuse for a modern game to be running this badly.

Can someone start a Kickstarter or something to get CM engine 5.0 up to the present time? I will totally donate. Isn't this how things are done now?

I love Battlefront games and I won't stop playing them. But like yeah.

BTW I just had a squad of Brads open up with multiple TOWs on 4 T-90s ramscooping in a flank move and it was freaking awesome.

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Legacy_OpenGL Reasons to avoid legacy OpenGL

The engine was written around in the mid 2000s. There are no magic short cuts to increasing frame rates.

Edited by sbobovyc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cool breeze said:

So, just to be clear, and no offense, but are you a real live woman on here?

It would be cool if I was a cross-eyed Asian woman pointing a pistol irl, wouldn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, steepdate said:

I will say, however, I have seen some improvement playing around with Nvidia Profile Inspector.

Curious, what kind of improvements did you achieve that can't be done in the control panel? The Profile Inspector looks a bit too complicated for me but if the improvements are great then it might be worth investing time to learn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Curious, what kind of improvements did you achieve that can't be done in the control panel? The Profile Inspector looks a bit too complicated for me but if the improvements are great then it might be worth investing time to learn it.

Can't give you a proper reply atm, but one advantage is being able to set max prerendered frames to 8. In NCP this is capped at 3 or 4 iirc. I am still very much experimenting with it but it offers a range of mysterious and murky to overt, lower-level hard settings that I like, such as guaranteed forcing of 16x aniso. I also use it to force off all AA because I use Reshade's excellent FXAA for finer control of edge smoothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 27, 2017 at 4:48 AM, steepdate said:

"Ramscooping" is just a bit of (possibly cognac-induced) science fiction hyperbole on my part. It is a hypothetical propulsion system for spacecraft, using magnetically "scooped" interstellar hydrogen as reaction mass approaching relativistic velocities.

Golly, that takes me back 40-50 years. I always thought it was an interesting concept.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2017 at 4:25 PM, Michael Emrys said:

Golly, that takes me back 40-50 years. I always thought it was an interesting concept.

Michael

I always admired the science-fiction notion of some civilization, knowing it would be long gone by the time, having launched fleets of relativistic, hydrogen ramscooping kinetic planet destroyers as posthumous retaliation weapons.

Can't remember where I read a good example. Vernor Vinge maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steepdate said:

Can't remember where I read a good example. Vernor Vinge maybe?

I can't recall any example of it in any fiction that I read, unless it might have been mentioned in passing, but it appeared in a couple of science fact articles that got my attention.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 8:37 PM, steepdate said:

I realize I'll be airbursted to death for saying this, but the lack of optimization is horrible.

There really is no excuse for a modern game to be running this badly.

I agree 100%

CM isn't pretty and runs poorly - especially compared to competitors like Wargame, which runs and looks amazing. 

 

CM still kicks the tactical sh*t out of any game on the market - I just wish we had the looks to go with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I would kill just to have it run smoothly. I don't buy the whole "calculations in the game are too complicated" argument, especially seeing how much a difference is made by changing quality levels. I can hit a smooth 15 FPS by going to balanced in Galloping Horse Downfall, compared to 5 on best and 20 on minimum. Looking around the map drastically changes that.

Funnily enough, reshade for the most part doesn't affect framerate significantly.

Maybe sbobovyc is right, and legacy OpenGL is killing us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Honestly I would kill just to have it run smoothly. I don't buy the whole "calculations in the game are too complicated" argument, especially seeing how much a difference is made by changing quality levels. I can hit a smooth 15 FPS by going to balanced in Galloping Horse Downfall, compared to 5 on best and 20 on minimum. Looking around the map drastically changes that.

Funnily enough, reshade for the most part doesn't affect framerate significantly.

Maybe sbobovyc is right, and legacy OpenGL is killing us.

The scenario that made life difficult for me was First Clash. I get decent framerates in Galloping Horse Downfall, perhaps around 25-28. Again I'd recommend anyone try out Nvidia Profile Inspector. With it I reached kind of an okay status quo; at least a better impression of smoothness, by using it to increase pre-rendered frames to 8 and just using Reshade for FXAA and some other (really pretty) effects (I have ALL AA hard-disabled and only use the shader injector).

In any case, no engine calculations are even being made in WEGO between turns, right? I play strictly WEGO and the framerate is just as bad or worse during the orders phase VS the replay phase, (when, I mean, the calculations are simply being shown after having been made, dig?). Considering the computation time of an entire minute of action is negligible even in WEGO, I'm not gonna sit here and blame my processor. This is a bad, old, poorly optimized 3-D engine on an otherwise stunningly brilliant sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory legacy OpenGL can benefit from a more powerful CPU. One can try to simulate this by underclocking/overclocking the CPU and comparing average frame rate as well as frame rate distribution. Performance also dependent on driver implementation. I tried to profile the game, but got numbers that did not make sense, so I can't tell you confidently where the bottlenecks are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...