How can I get this to work.

Either I missed this in the book and in these forums or it has not been addressed but:

Is there any way to split a squad while the squad is riding in a half track.  This would allow you to dismount half a squad and then drive the other half to a perhaps flanking position.

I have a M12 with one WP round remaining.   The vehicle is in good shape and the crew is full without casualties or wounds.  No matter what I try I cannot get that M12 to fire that WP.  It won't do direct fire and it won't do smoke.  Any thoughts?

Thanks much

1 hour ago, transporter said:

<Snip>  Is there any way to split a squad while the squad is riding in a half track.  This would allow you to dismount half a squad and then drive the other half to a perhaps flanking position.

I have a M12 with one WP round remaining.   The vehicle is in good shape and the crew is full without casualties or wounds.  No matter what I try I cannot get that M12 to fire that WP.  It won't do direct fire and it won't do smoke.  Any thoughts?  

They can't be split while mounted.  What I do is split them in the setup phase where you can freely move the teams in and out of vehicles and Acquire ammo. After they are split I cross load them back into the vehicles (or they will re-combine). So 1st Squad A team goes into halftrack #2 while 1st Squad B team goes into halftrack #1 etc.  Then you are able to do what you described above.

For the M12 did you use the direct fire Target Smoke command?  I just did a test on my test map and it worked.   

Yes, MOS' strategy of crossloading teams is the best way to do it in the game. 

Am not sure if teams get any penalty if from different squads and are trying to work together - am assuming that it wouldn't happen in RL as it makes more sense in RL to keep teams from one squad working together (cohesion, morale benefits...?).

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

IIRC teams suffer a small loss in morale & efficiency when they are first split, but I don't believe there's any penalty after that provided they are in contact with their platoon HQ.

Not the case in CM2

17 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

They can't be split while mounted.  What I do is split them in the setup phase where you can freely move the teams in and out of vehicles and Acquire ammo. After they are split I cross load them back into the vehicles (or they will re-combine). So 1st Squad A team goes into halftrack #2 while 1st Squad B team goes into halftrack #1 etc.  Then you are able to do what you described above.

For the M12 did you use the direct fire Target Smoke command?  I just did a test on my test map and it worked.   

An alternative to cross-loading ( usually only feasible in setup phase, however ), is to dismount the squad and split them.

You then give the halftrack its movement orders.

You then add the separate teams one-at-a-time, giving each one ( or at least one* ) their disembarkation movement orders.

Once they have separate movement orders, they will not recombine. :) 

* - so for a 3 team squad, at least 2 need orders, if only a 2 team squad, only 1 has to have orders.

1 hour ago, Baneman said:

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

IIRC teams suffer a small loss in morale & efficiency when they are first split, but I don't believe there's any penalty after that provided they are in contact with their platoon HQ.

I think this is just for certain nationalities.  Engine manual 4.0 page 61: Syrian, Soviet & Italian Armies will suffer a morale penalty if split teams are out of close visual and voice C2 of the Platoon HQ.  So generally farther away than 50 meters.  

1 hour ago, Baneman said:

<Snip>  You then add the separate teams one-at-a-time, giving each one ( or at least one* ) their disembarkation movement orders.

Once they have separate movement orders, they will not recombine. :) 

* - so for a 3 team squad, at least 2 need orders, if only a 2 team squad, only 1 has to have orders.

This will also work and is good info to know.   I find giving the infantry their own movement orders can be helpful, in certain situations, for getting them away from the vehicle if the vehicle stops due to OpFor fire.  If they don't have a movement order and the vehicle AI stops they will remain in the vehicle and/or disembark but then remain next to the vehicle.  With their own movement order they will have usually moved some action squares away by the time the WEGO turn ends and the player can intervene.       

Tried everything, direct target, direct target smoke.  There is one think which I failed to mention last time - oops.  Every time I try to target regardless of plain direct or target smoke I get a "out of range" remark.  No matter what the distance be it 10 meters or 1000 meters it is "out of range"