PC --> iMac Sierra?

G'Day All,

I'm starting to consider switching my games (I only own BF games, so that part is easy) from my aging PC to my new iMac with the latest version of Sierra installed. Hardware wise this should be fine with 16 GB of RAM within the 5K iMac 27" with SSD. The reason for the switch is that BF are the only games/simulations I'm playing now (and CM, at that) and all my actual work, etc. is done on the Macs (I have an LT as well, but won't be using it for CM), thus the PC days are numbered I suspect. In terms of CM I have all the current versions including Game Engine 4 for all except CMFI. Now I have read in one forum where a chap was switching to a Mac and it was recommended he do the installs in increments rather than trying to do it all at once, so I'm aware of that much at least. So my questions are:

1. For anyone that has run CM2 on both PC and Mac's (assuming comparable machine specs), do you have a preference of one over the other? This switch is not a done deal and I may opt not to do it depending on various factors.

2. Are there any performance penalties/enhancements of one over the other that you saw?

3. I'm assuming I would need to repurchase the set (makes sense - totally different OS), but want to confirm that.

4. Assuming "Yes" to #3, are the current games being sold now the latest version (i.e. GE4), or would you still have to go through the full update procedure after installing the base game(s)?

Thanks very much for the help.

Glenn

PS - I too would love to see a Commonwealth module for CMFB!

I cannot comment on #1, I will refrain from commenting on #2 :)

As for #3, actually starting with the v4 upgrade, license keys work on either platform. When you purchase the v4 upgrade you get access to both OS install packages.

#4 starting with CMBN they created all in one installers so you do not need to go through the error prone steps of installing all the bits and pieces on the correct order. So, once you have the v4 upgrade you can down load full all in one installers for each title you bought.

Thanks for this Ian. I am intrigued/concerned(?) on not wanting to comment on #2 - sounds like I might be in for considerable grief if I do make the move (or vice versa)? Anyway, good to know about the installers. Thanks for the assist.

Glenn

(PS - I'm in Ontario as well - north of Kitchener - wonder if we're neighbours? ;) )

2 hours ago, gdbf01 said:

I am intrigued/concerned(?) on not wanting to comment on #2 - sounds like I might be in for considerable grief if I do make the move (or vice versa)?

I am doubtful you would be in for considerable grief. On your model of Mac you might need to dial down the graphics options a bit, but unless you care intensely about such things, I don't think you would find it hard to live with. Really big battles with lots of units on both sides might be a problem, but again, how important would that be for you? I am running a 21" iMac with only 8GB of RAM and am happy as a lark, but I am not interested in really huge battles anyway.

Michael

Thanks for this Michael. So you're saying that the SSD and 16 GB RAM would be a bit lacking for these games? I'm running with 16 GB RAM now on the PC and everything seems happy enough. I tend not to go for the really big battles myself though so probably it wouldn't be an issue anyway, but the more info I have going in, the better.

Thank you Michael.

Glenn

3 hours ago, gdbf01 said:

Thanks for this Ian. I am intrigued/concerned(?) on not wanting to comment on #2 - 

LOL, no probably not. That was probably too much of an inside joke. I have several friends that made the switch to Mac s, and back for one, and I like to tease them about it.

3 hours ago, gdbf01 said:

(PS - I'm in Ontario as well - north of Kitchener - wonder if we're neighbours? ;) )

I'm south of Ottawa so in the global sense pretty close but not in a going out for ?'s sence. :D

Yup, I get it now :D . I'm taking some heat myself but I deal mainly in graphics now and they seem to be a weeee (i.e. VERY little) bit better at that. Mostly though I got tired of the interminable MS updates that broke as many things as it fixed. Of course, we all know Mac's aren't perfect either (but I'll never admit it in public.... oh, wait... :wacko:).

You're right. My brother is north of Ottawa a bit. I just thought if we were close and you were looking for someone to massacre on a regular basis, I'm up for some learning, but that would be a bit of a drive <LOL>

Thanks again Ian, appreciate the input :)

I'm running CM on a relatively old '09 MacPro with 12GB memory but a fair capacity SSD and it runs fine.  I'd say lot depends on the graphics card in your iMac compared to your PC.

Go for it as you've nothing to lose shifting from PC to your Mac.  Let us know the result.

Unlike some I downloaded the quite large dmg installer with no problem in one hit, and apart from some activation problems which Battlefront sterred me right it was a relatively painless procedure.