Commonwealth module?

As a Brit-o-phile, I don't mind playing from the US side - they're great; I play Germans once in a while just for a change; and the Soviets have a simple beauty to them; but I love playing British and Commonwealth forces.

As such, I'm waiting eagerly for the CMFI upgrade (my favourite title) and the rumoured 1945 add-on to that; and I have been playing CMBN pretty much consistently since it came out.

I like CMFB - the maps and AI are excellent; the scenarios and campaigns are fiendish - but I would love to see a British or Commonwealth module. I find the British forces, with their miscellany of tanks, their quaint, highly varied unit structures and their slightly undergunned troops bolstered by Sten guns, Bren guns and the fearsome 17-pounder, extremely fun and fascinating to play.

There was talk of modules to CMFB a while back. Is Commonwealth Forces on the cards?

I asked the chaps and they say they're ready to bust out of Normandy and Holland ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What might be interesting would be a campaign set a few months earlier where SHAEF and Montgomery come to their senses, recognize that Market-Garden just is not on, and 21st. AG commits all available force to crushing the German 15th. Armee, clearing South Beveland and Walcheren posthaste and bringing Antwerp online six to eight weeks earlier.

Michael

Mike, that's an operational level concept and problem, which I don't believe translates well to CM's scale.

BFC don't have anything to offer here, since we already have all the tools - units^, equipment, terrain, etc - to make tactical battles (or recreate the actual battles) based on a hypothetical early clearance of the Channel Coast the the Scheldt Estuary, and it'd be fairly straightforward to string some together into a CM campaign, but IMO it wouldn't really have anything to say about the merits of broad front vs narrow front, or the advantages of different weightings for different objectives within 21 Army Group.

Freyberg, I'd be astonished in FB didn't eventually include a CW module ... or two - one for the UK, and one for the Pol/Cdn/Dutch/Czech/Neth/FFL, etc?. Timespan is a consideration too - do Oct through May 45 in one hit, or Oct-Feb 45 - which is basically what FB covers now- followed by Mar-May? Interesting decisions ahoy!

^ except the Commandos!

Edited by JonS

Sgt. Fitzsimmons pokes his podgy finger at the map. "Field Marshall, where in God's heaven is South Beveland? Is it anywheres near Zuid Beveland?"

Monty :- "You really don't need to bother yourself with things like that, Fitzsimmons"

Sgt F:- "Like feck I don't. John Martins here in Antwerp do a nice drop of 8% Guinness. I'll be jiggered if I'm gonna upsticks to somewheres where I canna get meself a decent drop of the black stuff."

Monty:- "You Catholics. You should be teetotal like me and my fellow Anglicans".

Sgt F:- "Teetotal, me arse. If it wasn't for me slipping Rommel a Mickey Finn in his lager, we'd still be stuck in the sand. And for the last time, will yers tell these here people to stop keep calling me a fecking Brit". 

7 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

I believe the Britts left the mainland of Europe, only when cold war one was over. And contributed to the Victory in the west, almost as much as the Yanks.  

Eh, even that is wrong. In my home town in Germany, we still have British troops.

I would say they came as garrison and stayed as friends.

Regarding the contribution, I leave it to others, to comment how much it was worth to bear the worst for four years.

55 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Eh, even that is wrong. In my home town in Germany, we still have British troops.

I would say they came as garrison and stayed as friends.

Regarding the contribution, I leave it to others, to comment how much it was worth to bear the worst for four years.

Oh, I´m sorry. I did not know that the Britts had been there since 1945. I thought that they left after the cold war was over. Did they, and are back? Or did they never leave? And that they are our friends, that i know for sure. 

I spent 8 years in Germany with the British Army between 1990 and 2008 as well as exercising there on numerous occasions in 1988 and 1989.  Wikipedia linky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Forces_Germany

When I first went there, 1 BR Corps had three armoured divisions stationed in Germany and there was still the best part of a division there when I left Germany for the last time in 2008.

And I'll bite regarding @user1000s asinine remark. In just one Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery alone in Germany (Rheinberg) there are 343 war graves for persons who fit the description 'British Army' and date of death between 01 Jan 45 and 08 May 45. For those interested here's where to look:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I spent 8 years in Germany with the British Army between 1990 and 2008 as well as exercising there on numerous occasions in 1988 and 1989.  Wikipedia linky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Forces_Germany

When I first went there, 1 BR Corps had three armoured divisions stationed in Germany and there was still the best part of a division there when I left Germany for the last time in 2008.

And I'll bite regarding @user1000s asinine remark. In just one Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery alone in Germany (Rheinberg) there are 343 war graves for persons who fit the description 'British Army' and date of death between 01 Jan 45 and 08 May 45. For those interested here's where to look:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

Then you should know my hometown Paderborn and the Senne quite well.

But unfortunately you were a little to late for the epic table soccer event in "the Pub around the corner". Two drunk students vs BAR. Back in '86, I think. Those were the days. Oh, how we wiped your comrades out. ??

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

BAR

I think he might have meant BAOR - British Army of the Rhine.

I loved my time in Germany with the Army and never ceased to be amazed with what the locals put up with. Major exercises were a sight to see with all kinds of kit bashing up the countryside. These were not on training areas, but the public countryside. The war had to stop at weekends though !

baor.jpg

As I remember it this was about 7.00 am in the morning in some random village. Challenger II parked outside someones house !

P

Edited by Pete Wenman