Abrams muzzle flash for you modders

That image looks to be slightly later in the flash sequence.....It shows  the secondary flash, with (comparatively) low pressure spent propellant exiting the muzzle some time after the round has departed, in the original Abrams photo you are seeing the primary/intermediate flash, the round is very possibly still in shot and the gasses are still at a much higher pressure (the Wiki article I linked to earlier explains the sequence quite well).

Back in the day, when I was a very newly minted gunner, the battery conducted a fire mission at night. I was very excited by this - it was the first one I'd witness, and I had visions of being about to see something like the opening barrage for the attack at El Alamein

25-pounder-at-el-alamein.jpg

You can perhaps imagine my disappointment when it instead looked like this

37232.png

Initially I was confused, and thought I had somehow missed it by blinking or something. But, no. It turns out that modern weapon designers know how long the barrel of their weapon is! And they also know how fast propellant burns! And they can calculate how long it takes the projectile to move down that barrel! Who knew!? They also know that bright flashes tend to attract attention, which is a good way to end up dead. And so they carefully calibrate the amount of propellant so that it burns completely in the barrel before the projectile exits the muzzle.

I went to bed that night wiser but sadder.

That genuinely does surprise me.....I wonder what someone further from the battery might have seen? 

Found an interesting paper from 1985 discussing the subject:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a164593.pdf

It's a translation of a German document from 1945 and it does show that attempts to control flash were already underway seventy plus years ago.

They clearly don't seem to have mastered the process for tank cannon as the various images of ignited gas clearly show.....This is most perplexing.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead