AI pull off attack in quick battle.

This has happened to me a few times now and ive noticed while im defending against the AI in quick battle they tend to take maybe the first or second objective and then just hold there and not push into my last objective (which really sucks because sometimes they're my most bad ass positions) and they just form a line and put their troops next to each other and then nothing happens. I could see it if the AI were taking them and it would secure their victory but sometimes it doesn't even give them enough points. https://gyazo.com/d359761db6b1f53722e1b053941b06e0 https://gyazo.com/6f0677f6da07ec5f4e1bbbfce28d1011 Any help would be awesome! and will this be fixed in 4.0! Thanks ~Mark McLeod

Edited by Mark_McLeod
spelling error

I'll leave the deeper explanation to the guy that creates to the QB AI scripts @MarkEzra. What I will say is the v4 upgrade will not change the over all moves that the AI uses to attack or defend. There are a few components to the way the AI behaves in QBs and scenarios. 

1. The AI scripting that the designer "writes". Over the years there have been improvements - more groups, more orders, etc. Triggers were added to allow the creating of reacting to events on the battle field, withdraw command and more. The AI scripting is set when the scenarios / QB maps are created. So there are few things that take advantage of the full set of available AI scripting moves since only a handful of things have been released by people since the v4 upgrades. But even the scripting from the original game offers reasonable battles. QBs have improved a lot in the last few releases, new features have helped I am sure but @MarkEzra has just learned too.
  2. The operational AI (I think that's what Steve calls it) is the layer that translates the scripting into actual orders. Nothing has been trumpeted about improvements in this layer but I am sure there have been some. This is the code that issues the actual orders you see when you play in scenario author mode.
  3. The Tac AI this is the layer that controls the actual troops - both the AI player and us human players have this layer working for us. This is the one that actually governs the movements and activities of the individual soldiers. It decides how to follow the orders and when to ignore them and evade. There are a handful of changes in this layer in v4 too mostly around movement and evading.

So if the author creates the scripts to take the first two objectives and not the third then that is what the AI will do. It is not governing its actions based on a heuristic that tells it it only has two of the three objectives it is following the script.

All CM QB AI scripts take into account every Objective generally using at least 2 orders group per objective.  This is the case no matter if the AI is Attacking or Defending.

So if a QB Map has 1 Maj VP and 3 Minor VP's (4 Objectives) The AI will have 8 Group Plans to hold or move to those objectives.

Now here is what can happen.

1.  The AI has enough units to fill all the AI Groups-- All Orders to move to all Objectives will be followed

2.  The AI Does Not enough units to fill all the AI Groups-- Some Orders to move to some Objectives will be followed.

The pre game selections of weather, terrain condition and game time limit  has a real effect on the QB's ability to meet it's goals.

In either case during the game AI units will be affected by all the problems of morale and fatigue the human player is.

Edited by MarkEzra
layout

The AI groups are part of the AI scripting. You assign units to groups and then create a plan for each group. In a scenario you choose the forces and assign the groups. In a QB the AI author has to create the plans for the various groups without knowing which units might be chosen for a battle, what combination of units might be assigned to a group or even if there will be enough forces to fill all the groups. Basically the planning has to be done without knowing what forces you are working with. It is a limitation of how QBs are done.