Operation BARRAS A Company 1 PARA September 2000

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, Erwin said:

Yes, plz gimme a chance to finish "Into The Green"...    Am feeling the pressure...   :o

Get cracking then fella - test is complete with one minor change to VPs required followed by briefings and graphics and however long it takes to get uploaded to the Scenario Depot.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 50 minutes to go and two objectives.  A couple of days maybe.  I hope I don't have to play getting everyone back to base safely as well. 

Let's just hope that BF doesn't sabotage all your hard work by doing something like releasing something new to distract everyone - for example a Battlepack for CMBS...

Edited by Erwin

2 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Only 50 minutes to go and two objectives.  A couple of days maybe.  I hope I don't have to play getting everyone back to base safely as well. 

Nope - I failed to make this clear in the briefing but once you have cleared all of the objective compounds you can cease fire.

Here are the orders and designer notes for the mission (there are no spoilers in the notes):

Situation:  Enemy Forces

The West Side Boys (WSB) are a brutal armed faction in the Sierra Leone civil war, noted for mutilating captives, employing child soldiers and heavy drug and alcohol use.  The group is loosely organized into five ‘battalions’ with Gberi Bana as their centre of gravity.  The WSB group centred on Magbeni has been identified as the ‘Gulf Battalion’.  Its exact strength is unknown but is likely to be company equivalent strength.  It is known that the group have at least three technical vehicles and mortars of various calibres.  Otherwise, the group is assessed to have access to small arms, light and heavy machine guns and RPGs.  The group’s use of alcohol and drugs is likely to affect their ability to effectively employ their weapons but will also likely make them feel invulnerable to danger.  Neighbouring elements are located in Gberi Bana to the North and Forodugu to the South.  The SAS operation will fix elements in Gberi Bana, but reinforcement via Technical vehicles is possible from Forodugu.  Assessed enemy locations and scheme of manoeuvre are annotated on the Operational Map.

Situation:  Friendly Forces

On 25 August 2000, a R IRISH patrol was captured by the West Side Boys. The patrol members are now hostages in Gberi Bana 1600m North of the Rokel Creek.  In response to the crisis, A Company 1 PARA deployed to a Forward Mounting Base in Hastings, Sierra Leone via Dakar.  D Squadron, 22 SAS will concurrently execute a hostage recovery operation while A Company 1 PARA conducts a supporting operation to clear Magbeni in order to defeat WSB elements there and prevent them from interfering with the hostage recovery.  A Company 1 PARA comprises its HQ, three platoons and an 81mm mortar detachment.  Due to a lack of helicopter lift, the Company will deploy in two Chalks, Chalk 1, comprising Coy HQ and 1 Platoon will land first at 0600 hrs followed by Chalk 2 comprising 2 and 3 Platoons at 0615 hrs.

Situation:  Terrain and Weather

The AO is 1968m x 640m and is bounded by the map area.  It comprises a mix of jungle, villages connected by tracks and small areas of open ground.  Ground generally slopes downwards to the Rokel Creek bordering the North of the AO with few significant changes in elevation. Key terrain is the village of Magbeni which sits astride the track network and overlooks open ground in the vicinity.  Overall the ground favours the defender offering excellent cover and concealment relative to the attacker.  It is 0600 hrs on 10 September 2000 and the weather is clear, hot with damp ground conditions and a gentle wind blowing from the West.  Overall the climate is favorable to operations but temperatures and ground conditions will lead to fatigue.

Mission:  Overall Description

Mission:  A Company, 1 PARA is to clear Magbeni NLT 0830hrs in order to defeat the WSB ‘Gulf Battalion’.

Tasks:

1.  Clear Objective T (Touch 20 VPs).

2.  Clear Objective U (Touch 20 VPs).

3.  Clear Objective V (Touch 10 VPs).

4.  Clear Objective W (Touch 10 VPs).

5.  Clear Objective X (Touch 10 VPs).

6.  Clear Objective Y (Touch 10 VPs).

7.  Clear Objective Z (Touch 10 VPs).

8.  Secure LS 1 (Occupy 30 VPs).

Execution:  Commander’s Intent

My intent is to conduct a rapid assault employing the superior fitness and natural aggression of the British Paratrooper.  Coordinated fire and manoeuvre will be key to success, while employing carefully targeted offensive support.  My Main Effort is the break in to Magbeni village with the desired endstate being A Company 1 PARA firm at LS 1 at 95% Combat Effectiveness.

Execution:  Basic Plan

Your choice commander but you should note that you lack support and breaching assets and your troops have limited quantities of ammunition.  To that end you will likely have to accept some risk in your plan and restrict engagements to positively identified enemy locations.  On the positive side, you have plenty of time to complete your task and can cease fire once you have cleared all of the objectives and secured LS 1.

Designer’s notes

For best immersion in this mission, I recommend that players download the British Army Temperate Climate Camo Mod which is available at the Battlefront Repository here:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=478

This mission is a close replication of the actual events at Magbeni on 10 September 2000.  The detail has been drawn from an account by Major Lowe, who commanded A Company 1 PARA on that day in the British Army’s Tropical Operations Manual.

For design reasons, I have made some changes in order to enhance the gameplay and enjoyment factors.  These changes being in moving some of the objectives centred on Magbeni to areas further East on the map and bumping up enemy numbers.

In real life, A Company, 1 PARA was completely successful in clearing Magbeni as were D Squadron, 22 SAS at Gberi Bana and Operation BARRAS effectively removed the West Side Boys as an actor in the Sierra Leone conflict.

ROFL.....That's stonking!  Rule 3. Nearly made me fall off my chair!  :lol:

19 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Your choice commander but you should note that you lack support and breaching assets and your troops have limited quantities of ammunition. 

You will break Erwin's heart!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Very likely just me dude, it's been a long day TBH (Sister, Niece, Nephew & Buddy, their new & untrained dog).  ;)

About to be a long day for me too - ANZAC Day tomorrow - up for Dawn Service followed by the bar opening at 0630 - drink, march, drink, march (rinse and repeat). It is one of the reasons I wanted to kick this mission out of the door today.

Please drink one for me.  B)

Johnny Turk he was ready, he primed himself well
He chased us with bullets, he rained us with shells
And in five minutes flat he'd blown us all to hell
Nearly blew us right back to Australia
But the band played Waltzing Matilda
As we stopped to bury our slain
We buried ours and the Turks buried theirs
Then we started all over again

default_poppy.gif

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Please drink one for me.  B)

Johnny Turk he was ready, he primed himself well
He chased us with bullets, he rained us with shells
And in five minutes flat he'd blown us all to hell
Nearly blew us right back to Australia
But the band played Waltzing Matilda
As we stopped to bury our slain
We buried ours and the Turks buried theirs
Then we started all over again

default_poppy.gif

Just the one ... in all seriousness, thank you for your thoughts and yes I shall - it is always a day of mixed emotions.

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Are those the ragtag uncons from CMSF??

They are from the mod, @LongLeftFlank, recommended on page #1 of this thread.  It is one of four extra mods I put in for this scenario.  Ground Marsh that turns ground marsh into water, British Infantry Temperate camo mod, Africa Theater Pack & African Terrain.  Not sure what if any difference the terrain mod makes in this scenario.  But I made a Middle East mods folder and a African mods folder so they can be swapped out depending where the scenario is based.