Operation BARRAS A Company 1 PARA September 2000

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/////////////////////////////SPOILER ALERT////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER ALERT/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SitMap 0622

Op%20Barras%20SitMap%200622_zpskletmspl.

1st and 2nd Platoons maneuvering to attack.  3rd Platoon in reserve.  On order 3rd Platoon will move to support maneuver platoons or move to interdict Forodugu Road.  

Op%20Barras03_zpscgiw20jz.jpg

1) OP/LP in the bush about 70 meters west of Forodugu Road.  Tasked to monitor and report OpFor activity.  (Hmmm, only one sniper team has a radio ........... must have lost one in the bush ........... I know what we're doing after this mission.  1st Sgt. find the feckin RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!     

Op%20Barras04_zpss7oaswms.jpg

2) 2nd Platoon reports small arms fire from OpFor infantry inside buildings in Magbeni.  So it begins............... 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

@MOS:96B2PQueen's English dear chap ... you mean 1 Platoon, 2 Platoon and Platoon Sergeant.

Interesting scheme of manoeuvre - I like the fact that you have a reserve, its not something that is seen often in CMSF.  In terms of time and distance, I guess your interdiction option cued by the sniper team will be close to the track junction between Objectives Whisky and Tango.

I've sent 1 Platoon to the right to act as a blocking force, the Co. HQ is in overwatch, 2 & 3 Platoons will head left then sweep to the right through the village just after a linear bombardment has given the locals their 82mm alarm call.....Today's will feel like the worst hangover they ever had, of this I am quite sure.  ;)

Playing realtime, so snapshots only when I'm done.....Definitely looks nicer with mods, but still looks pretty cool.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

20 hours ago, Combatintman said:

<Snip>   In terms of time and distance, I guess your interdiction option cued by the sniper team will be close to the track junction between Objectives Whisky and Tango.

The S2 advised OpFor may arrive with Technicals from Forodugu at H+45.  As a contingency to this possible development I would like elements of 3 Platoon in position to ambush the OpFor before they gain access to the road network in Objective Tango (although it now occurs to me that damp ground conditions will not restrict the technicals to the roads).  Also Technicals on the road can make better time than my Paras moving through the bush on foot.  :o 

WARNING ORDER: 3 Platoon at 0630hrs initiate movement east to interdict probable OpFor reinforcements arriving from Forodugu in order to prevent them joining forces with the OpFor Gulf Battalion prior to Objective Tango.  AIRBORNE!!! ALL THE WAY!!!  ---------------- or maybe it should be "God Save The Queen"???  :D.

"Sigh" There goes my reserves ........................       

////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SitRep 0642hrs.

Approximately 15 OpFor KIA, 1 Friendly walking wounded (yellow base)

2 Platoon wins a round at the NCO club for first OpFor kill. 

3 Platoon moving into ambush positions along road to Forodugu. 

SitMap 0642hrs.

Op%20Barras%20SitMap%200642_zpsrraudxld.

Number 1.  1 Platoon dispensing freedom. 

Op%20Barras07_zpscyuwrb3f.jpg

Number 2.  OpFor technical.

Op%20Barras11_zpsltiwg4lt.jpg

Number 3.  2 Platoon HQ.

Op%20Barras05_zpslugfef3u.jpg

Number 4.  3 Platoon moving through the bush en-route Forodugu Road. 

Op%20Barras06_zpsaqusedl7.jpg

////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So here's my take on this one (Veteran/Real-Time).....Firstly, even without mods it's very jungly:

Barras02-Jungly_zpsnsnbmst5.jpg

My scheme of manoeuvre with 1 Platoon and the Co. HQ:

Barras01-Pushoff_zps8x6gmext.jpgBarras03-Reinforced_zpsynllvn2w.jpg

When the reinforcements arrived I came to the conclusion that sending both platoons to the left would just create a target rich environment for the bad guys, so 2 Platoon went to the left following the route taken by the scouts, 3 Platoon moved through 1 Platoon's position and crossed the road, this was where things started to get interesting.....Just as 3 Platoon crossed the road behind Objective W a nasty scuffle kicked off at Objective V:

Barras05-Meanwhile_zpsasxlpybn.jpgBarras04-WakeyWakey_zps1dxurlnf.jpg

The mortars followed by 2 Platoon's bayonet charge soon sorted that out, but just as my lads were regrouping a RPG hit 3rd Section causing five casualties!  :o

At this point the lads went a bit mental, so images are few and far between.....The last survivor got his in another platoon strength bayonet charge, then we mopped up and moved on:

Barras06-YouCanRun_zpsi7ptsljk.jpgBarras07-MoppingUp_zpstx3j3oxe.jpg

The local lads had decided to organise an off-road rally.....We brassed that lot up a treat and it was home in time for tea & medals:

Barras08-DeathRideOfTheBSB_zpsk8mgdxl5.jBarras09-TheGreenGreenGrass_zpsziyxy4kq.

The last two lads made it aboard the chopper with exactly 50 minutes on the clock:

Barras10-StillJungly_zpscjbtetzh.jpg

Still looks pretty jungly to me, just a bit scorched here and there!  ;)

Here's the outcome, satisfying 13-1 kill ratio, would have been much higher but for that bloody RPG!  :(

Barras-Results_zpscoie110l.jpg

Excellent scenario, looks replayable, will give it another go later in the week.....Very impressed indeed (but I expected no less).  B)

PS - The only thing actually left alive on the map at the end was their artillery spotter, hiding in probably the only building I didn't actually send men through.....Lucky, lucky b*****d!  :lol:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Still... 5 KIA.  In RL only 1 Brit was killed.

This is interesting: "The successful use of 1 PARA in Operation Barras influenced the creation of the Special Forces Support Group—a permanent unit, initially built around 1 PARA, whose role is to act as a force multiplier for British special forces on large or complex operations."

Anyone know about this SFSG?  Maybe a formation for a future scenario?

Edited by Erwin

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

Still... 5 KIA.  In RL only 1 Brit was killed.

This is interesting: "The successful use of 1 PARA in Operation Barras influenced the creation of the Special Forces Support Group—a permanent unit, initially built around 1 PARA, whose role is to act as a force multiplier for British special forces on large or complex operations."

Anyone know about this SFSG?  Maybe a formation for a future scenario?

There were no British KIA at Magbeni.  The SFSG is tri-service but its core is formed from 1 PARA.

Edited by Combatintman

I was definitely too, gung-ho.....Deliberately so TBH.  My playing style and AAR both were heavily influenced by the Parachute Regiment Rules of Engagement  that Combatintman introduced us to earlier in the thread.  Once that RPG hit my pixelparas really did go mental (I've never used 'Assault' so much).  ;)

Three of the KIA were from that single RPG, I didn't actually see it fired as I was up at the road with 3 Platoon when it happened (real-time is pretty unforgiving like that), I just witnessed the aftermath and the swift & bloody revenge. 

I'll no doubt play this scenario at least once more in real-time and a couple of times WEGO too, then it's into the editor time to see how it was achieved.  As I said earlier it's a really enjoyable scenario, immersive even without mods and it 'feels' right.  B)

PS - The carnage at the 'off road rally' site was just staggering, two full platoons of really very angry Paras caught the reinforcements still in their technicals, the tyres went first so they didn't reach their presumed disembarkation point and then the mortar started to fall.  There were no survivors (and no friendly casualties).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

Ok, I thought this was Barras:  http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-air-service/sas-operations/operation-barras/

FWIW:  "The SAS lost one man, named as Brad Tinnion, whilst the Paras had 12 wounded, 1 seriously."

Brad Tinnion was not killed at Magbeni, which this scenario replicates. He was on the other side of the Rokel Creek at Gberi Bana.

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I was definitely too, gung-ho.....Deliberately so TBH.  My playing style and AAR both were heavily influenced by the Parachute Regiment Rules of Engagement  that Combatintman introduced us to earlier in the thread.  Once that RPG hit my pixelparas really did go mental (I've never used 'Assault' so much).  ;)

Three of the KIA were from that single RPG, I didn't actually see it fired as I was up at the road with 3 Platoon when it happened (real-time is pretty unforgiving like that), I just witnessed the aftermath and the swift & bloody revenge. 

I'll no doubt play this scenario at least once more in real-time and a couple of times WEGO too, then it's into the editor time to see how it was achieved.  As I said earlier it's a really enjoyable scenario, immersive even without mods and it 'feels' right.  B)

PS - The carnage at the 'off road rally' site was just staggering, two full platoons of really very angry Paras caught the reinforcements still in their technicals, the tyres went first so they didn't reach their presumed disembarkation point and then the mortar started to fall.  There were no survivors (and no friendly casualties).

TBH it is probably only worth replaying once - there is only one AI plan. I wouldn't get your hopes up about learning much from what I've done in the editor either - it is a pretty simple AI plan. Most of my plans work on the KISS philosophy - my main trickery with the AI just comes down to planning and a reverse IPB.  Once I've done that, it is just a case of solving the speed, time and distance problem which usually takes a couple of tests to fine tune.

SitRep 0658hrs.

Approximately 20 OpFor KIA, 1 Friendly walking wounded (yellow base)

SitMap 0658hrs.

Op%20Barras%20SitMap%200658_zpspfgjfk2t.

1 Platoon reports another technical. 

Op%20Barras%2015_zpsmzpmqdwg.jpg

OpFor reinforcements enter the A/O via Forodugu Road.

Op%20Barras%2012_zpswkzrigfl.jpg

Op%20Barras%2013_zpsme79pfeg.jpg

Fire teams of 3 Platoon in ambush positions along Forodugu Road.

Op%20Barras%2014_zpsftma3nkb.jpg

//////////////////////////////////SPOILER///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER///////////////////////////////////////////////

SitRep 0705hrs

Approximately 50 OpFor KIA

Two friendly casualties and 2 friendly walking wounded (yellow base)

SitMap 

Op%20Barras%20SitMap%200705_zpsgo3iriwj.

3 Platoon initiates the ambush.

Op%20Barras%2016_zpsmq8hyvoh.jpg

I will allow the combat photographer to tell the story. 

Op%20Barras%2017_zpsb0thlyje.jpg

Op%20Barras%2018_zpsxgg03ub9.jpg

Op%20Barras%2019_zpsstdll3pk.jpg

Op%20Barras%2020_zps3jx5u5op.jpg

Op%20Barras%2021_zpsfdkhyjik.jpg

Op%20Barras%2022_zpsoxktnw4u.jpg

WSB Gulf Battalion: Be advised, the road to Forodugu is closed.