FORMAT FOR NAMING SOUNDS MODS

I have a number of mod sound alternatives.  To have them all appear randomly in the game how should they be numbered?

Eg for MG42 sounds my options are:  "gun mg41.wav"; "gun mg42 0.wav"; "gun mg42 1.wav"; "gun mg42 2.wav" etc.  Is that correct?

Or, does the game not recognize "gun mg41 0.wav" and/or "gun mg42 1.wav"?  (ie: How should the above be numbered to have them all appear in-game?) 

I recall the naming convention is different for graphics.  :(

If I understand your question, you need to call the first one "gun mg42 0.wav" replace 0 by 1 for the second sound etc.

If there is a break in your sound numbering, the next ones will not appearing in game.

eg : you've got "gun mg41 0.wav"  "gun mg41 1.wav"  "gun mg41 4.wav"   "gun mg41 5.wav"  There will be only 0 and 1 in game because you haven't got 2 and 3

My question is whether the first name should be <sound.wav> or <sound 0.wav>?  And then is there a <sound 1.wav>?

What confuses me is that the graphics .bmp options are named differentlyThere is no <graphicsname 0.bmp> or <graphicsname 1.bmp>.  For a graphics .bmp options to appear in game one has <graphicsname.bmp> and then the next file is <graphicsname 2.bmp> etc.

So, for 3 or more .wav files to appear in game, what should the 1st, 2nd and 3rd wav file be named?

Thank you...  I need to renumber all my optional wav files as most start with the simple SOUND.WAV file and then the 2nd is SOUND 0.WAV etc. just like the graphics option mods.  :mellow:   (I use this for MG42 sounds as I found a few MG42 sounds that are really good.)

BTW:  Does this method of having several sound options appear in-game also work with music and/or background sounds?  What about flames sounds and engine noises?

ie:  Does this numbering system NOT work with certain categories of sounds?

Edited by Erwin

Another question re MG sounds.

I have wav mods for MG42 that read <GUN MG42 x2.WAV> and <GUN MG42 x3.WAV>   Do I need to rename them to hear the options in-game, or is the x2 and x3 recognized by the game.  (The numbers refer to double shots and treble shots.)

I do not see any wav file for the MG34 - is that a generic MG sound and if so which one?

AFAIK (maybe wrong), you can't have randomized background or music sound. I never tried anyway...

I know it's ok for flames sounds but i don't know for engine.

I didn't know how the x2 and x3 works.

I think that the mighty Waclaw could help you. Try MP him ;)

Apologies to keep on this but here's what I don't understand:  When there is one wav file for a sound it's named <sound.wav>.  So, if one has two possible sounds for the same weapon one would think they would be <sound.wav> and <sound 0.wav> OR <sound 1.wav>.   

I am confused why when there are more than one wav files for the same sound, suddenly one doesn't use the original format <sound.wav>.

Is it correct that when one adds a new wav file for an existing sound, one has to change the original wav file from <sound.wav> to <sound 0.wav>???

5 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Is it correct that when one adds a new wav file for an existing sound, one has to change the original wav file from <sound.wav> to <sound 0.wav>???

It's been awhile since I messed with all of my gun sounds -- I spent days doing exactly what it sounds like you're doing right now (plus made a bunch of my own by combining my favorites from a ton of other sources) -- but, if I'm recalling it all correctly, yes, I think that you do have to change the name of that first gun sound to "[original name] 0.wav" if you want "[original name] 1.wav", etc., to also be an option. It might seem like a pain to have to rename the first sound, but that naming convention could actually offer a few advantages, too... like when testing.

I appreciate your and ironsturm's advice. 

So, basically no sound wav named <sound.wav> will play once there are other wav options created such as <sound 0.wav> and <sound 1.wav> and higher numbers.

In that situation any wav file named simply <sound.wav> needs to be renamed to <sound X.wav> where X is a number from 0 and higher.

Is that correct and definitive?

Also:

What about the case I have where I have several MG42 wav files downloaded and they are named <gun MG42 x2.wav> and <gun MG42 x3.wav>?

Do the "x2" and "x3" suffixes need to be deleted and the files renamed as above?  Or, does the x2 and x3 convention mean that each will play in certain circumstances?  (The x2 and x3 denote increasingly long MG42 bursts.)

Edited by Erwin

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I also have a question relating to sound mods.  I have Waclaw's HQS 2.4 CMBS sound mod (which is awesome!), but I wanted to add some of my own American Voices to the already existing ones.  I've renamed WAV files to correspond with the appropriate category - for example <american move contact 17.wav> is the last numbered mod by Waclaw in that specific category, so I have now added 18, 19, 20 etc (named correctly) to that list and yet they never appear to play in-game.  It appears that all of the WAV files I have added don't seem to work.  I hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.  Any ideas/suggestions would be most welcome.

A. :)

Hello Andy,

Try this : put your WAVs alone with no other mod and name them american heavy target general 0 1 2 etc. ("heavy target general" is easier to test than "move contact")

Launch a game and put multiple heavy fire on the ground.

If you didn't heard your sounds in few try (at least 10 to be sure) is that you're problem come from the WAV itself.

On 20/08/2017 at 10:26 AM, ironsturm said:

Hello Andy,

Try this : put your WAVs alone with no other mod and name them american heavy target general 0 1 2 etc. ("heavy target general" is easier to test than "move contact")

Launch a game and put multiple heavy fire on the ground.

If you didn't heard your sounds in few try (at least 10 to be sure) is that you're problem come from the WAV itself.

Hi Ironsturm,

Sorry - didn't realise there had been a response!  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try that and report back.

A. :)

• 4 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:37 PM, Erwin said:

I appreciate your and ironsturm's advice. 

So, basically no sound wav named <sound.wav> will play once there are other wav options created such as <sound 0.wav> and <sound 1.wav> and higher numbers.

In that situation any wav file named simply <sound.wav> needs to be renamed to <sound X.wav> where X is a number from 0 and higher.

Is that correct and definitive?

Also:

What about the case I have where I have several MG42 wav files downloaded and they are named <gun MG42 x2.wav> and <gun MG42 x3.wav>?

Do the "x2" and "x3" suffixes need to be deleted and the files renamed as above?  Or, does the x2 and x3 convention mean that each will play in certain circumstances?  (The x2 and x3 denote increasingly long MG42 bursts.)

Thought I would raise this question again, as it was never answered.