ShoutOut to Steve G. & John C.

Well, I’m out of the hospital and as ornery as ever.  The good news is that my leg and knee (and kneecap) was not broken, but it’s going to be ‘Walk Like a Pirate’ for the next couple of months.  Of course my Mojo helpdesk ticket (#14533531) expired due to inactivity.  I now have both CMRT & CMFB ‘bricked’ as it were but am holding off on a new ticket till I get some feedback over in the CMFB Tech forum.  Thanks once again to John and the boss Steve for their efforts but followup was not to be.

6 hours ago, tankgeezer said:

Well, I’m out of the hospital and as ornery as ever.  The good news is that my leg and knee (and kneecap) was not broken, but it’s going to be ‘Walk Like a Pirate’ for the next couple of months.

Sorry to hear that you were injured. What happened, fall off your bike?

Michael

Hah!, if only.  To condense the whole exercise in stupidity down, it went as follows.  My Subie is up on jack stands to replace the RF HalfShaft & the lower ball joints.  I jack up the hub to see if I succeeded in loosening the ball joint.  Squatting on roll-around stool next when the rotor spits the jack out.  The wheel studs smacked the inside of my left knee on the way down.  As anybody knows, there’s a huge amount of energy stored in those front strut springs.  My work pants had a triple layer of canvas on the knees so I ended up with a nasty road rash and severe deep tissue trauma.  Good news was that the tendons weren’t touched.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:34 AM, tankgeezer said:

Hah!, if only.  To condense the whole exercise in stupidity down, it went as follows.  My Subie is up on jack stands to replace the RF HalfShaft & the lower ball joints.  I jack up the hub to see if I succeeded in loosening the ball joint.  Squatting on roll-around stool next when the rotor spits the jack out.  The wheel studs smacked the inside of my left knee on the way down.  As anybody knows, there’s a huge amount of energy stored in those front strut springs.  My work pants had a triple layer of canvas on the knees so I ended up with a nasty road rash and severe deep tissue trauma.  Good news was that the tendons weren’t touched.

Damn. I do a lot of car work, and springs scare me the most. Similarly, I pulled the front right shaft out of a Honda Pilot. It's very hard to get it out. I resorted to using a 10,000 lb rated ratchet strap anchored around another car to create a "pull" force. It got so taut that it hummed when I plucked it. There was a LOT of tension there. That damn shaft still didn't budge. (Internal locking ring.) I stayed well clear of the projectile path...and used my "off" hand/arm when ratcheting. I finally crawled back under the car. A gentle tap of the hammer against the shaft...and it shot out, about 6 feet. Glad I'd stayed clear of it.

Hidden torque/compression/tension produced by springs or other devices are non-intuitive. Without gauges, there's no way of telling how much force is waiting to be released...until it hits.

Consider yourself lucky. In a non-car related event, I was fortunate enough to actually see my kneecap and it's attached tendons on the occasion of an injury which resulted in a kneecap fracture. In retrospect, it would've been better to not have had that opportunity. ;) Fractured kneecaps hurt...and take a while to heal.

...final note on the old knee injury: The doctor who saw me and stitched it together (hey, when you can see your entire kneecap, you just gotta know there'll be some stitching involved), was the REAL Hawkeye Pierce. Yes, that MASH character was based on a real doctor. Unfortunately, he seemed to have kept his battlefield surgery/triage techniques. He missed the fracture (thankfully, it wasn't fully split in half), or just decided it wasn't worth immobilizing, and I got a massive post-op infection. The doctor who treated the infection x-rayed it and asked why I'd removed the cast. "What cast?" was probably not the response he expected. He told me with a fracture like the one in the x-ray, he was surprised I wasn't in pain. I corrected that misperception. :) Then he said (this was about a week and a half after the injury), "Well, it's too late for one now."

Edited by c3k

I may be old, but at least I'm slow.  Finally dawned on me as to why the upgrade was breaking the game.  When the installer originally runs it put each game into its own folder in the Application folder (Mac).  I move all games into a sub-folder called Game Thing.  The game needs to be in the root(?) level folder for the updater to function.  For some reason I drug only the app back out & ran the updater against it (which promptly broke everything).  The updater needs to see the entire game folder in order to function.  Yup!; 'ToolTimeTim' finally gets it right, I now have functioning CMFB, CMBN, CMRT & CMBS running the v4 game engine.

6 hours ago, tankgeezer said:

Yup!; 'ToolTimeTim' finally gets it right, I now have functioning CMFB, CMBN, CMRT & CMBS running the v4 game engine.

:D You are correct about installer on Mac. Great you have everything running the v4 game engine.

Sorry about your accident. Stuff can happen quickly under vehicles. Reading yours made me think of mine......Years ago I got lucky when I was positive I had a gas tank drained and gas line clamped shut. Pull the line and gasoline went flooding down my arm onto my chest and as I tried to slide the creeper and myself from under this monster peeing gasoline on me.... my foot pulled the HOT electric work light off the car... dropped on the floor ... a few inches away the now pool of gasoline under the creeper :wacko:...

I got VERY LUCKY.... as shop owner was passing by... heard me YELL... and kicked the work light away from the gasoline.... "in the nick or kick of time" Had he not I could have been a crispy critter in a bad way. I got VERY LUCKY..

Heal quickly and fully. Enjoy CM v4...

Buzz

2 hours ago, Buzz said:

Sorry about your accident. Stuff can happen quickly under vehicles. Reading yours made me think of mine......Years ago I got lucky when I was positive I had a gas tank drained and gas line clamped shut. Pull the line and gasoline went flooding down my arm onto my chest and as I tried to slide the creeper and myself from under this monster peeing gasoline on me.... my foot pulled the HOT electric work light off the car... dropped on the floor ... a few inches away the now pool of gasoline under the creeper :wacko:...

I got VERY LUCKY.... as shop owner was passing by... heard me YELL... and kicked the work light away from the gasoline.... "in the nick or kick of time" Had he not I could have been a crispy critter in a bad way. I got VERY LUCKY..

Machines sometimes harbor evil spirits. And it doesn't do at all to get forgetful around them. One time years ago I was cleaning a printing press. To make a long story short, I was lucky not to lose some fingers, but they hurt for months and one would never be normal again.

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Machines sometimes harbor evil spirits. And it doesn't do at all to get forgetful around them. One time years ago I was cleaning a printing press. To make a long story short, I was lucky not to lose some fingers, but they hurt for months and one would never be normal again.

Hi Michael,

All digits is a 'good thing'. The 'sometimes harbor evil spirits' potential in our modern machines is much more advanced from years past.

Enjoy CM v4 ... it don't bite us :)

Buzz

Agreed Michael.... :D:D

Just looked at what I tried to post earlier.... and it got vaporized before it got posted.... :D

Another darn machine issue (all digits accounted for);)

Have fun with CM tankgeezer and recover quickly and fully.

Buzz

Edited by Buzz
Correct (nothing posted)