US Strykers spotted in Syria.

Ivanov

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect stocks of old RPG rounds whose fuses would be shorted out after getting dented by slat armor is dwindling. New rounds don't have that fusing issue which greatly decreases the utility of slat armor. The slat cage across the front slope might still have some utility. The rear ramp would be adjusted to drop down onto the attached slat cage, which makes removing that top piece problematic.

Re: Strykers in Syria

SOF really likes Strykers.  They've got a low acoustic profile (i.e. they're really quiet), are well armored for a wheeled platform, and in terms of doing more kinetic stuff, the old HMMWV type rides the special forces used to use consumed way more personnel per unit moved than a Stryker (so moving nine or so "shooters" took four vehicle crewmen for the HMMWV, while the Stryker does the same with only two crewmen), and it's got some really robust communications.  They were stealing them from the National Guard (rather borrowing them) when I was deployed the first time for raids, and this would seem to continue.  

Also I'd conjecture if they're doing operations farther afield from base, the Stryker makes a better base camp/tactical RV.

Re: It's not easy being green.

Strykers for reasons I do not understand have always been just green.  Never NATO three color, never tan.  Green.  Tan Abrams are pretty common both because of our last twenty or so years of middle eastern deployment, but also if you look where most of the US Armored formations are (Fort Hood, Food Bliss in Texas, Fort Riley in Kansas, Fort Irwin California, sort of Fort Carson) they're in desert type environments where tan is the correct, or at least not worst color to begin with (the remainder of active armor units are at Fort Stewart Georgia, Camp Casey Korea, and the National Guard ones minus 116 CBCT are places that are green).  

Re: Slat armor

Slat armor's advantage isn't old fusing being shorted out, it's having a stout enough object to trigger the HEAT round with enough stand-off to reduce penetration effects.  That said it adds weight, and makes the vehicle a lot wider.  If I had to guess the SOF guys aren't taking the Strykers into high intensity urban fights, so they've opted to leave the parts of the cage armor that can be removed easily (as the side parts are designed to be removed for shipping, while I believe the front and back are more integrated with the vehicle itself) to keep the vehicle light, and allow it to better handle narrow places.  

Interesting how strong or weak Turkey will come out - any independent Kurdish state would be a disaster for Turkey, still they are unable to break US-Kurdish alliance.

" The US-led international coalition against ISIS has “deliberately” deployed forces from the US army to Manbij in northern Syria, to “reassure” the Manbij Military Council (MMC), an ally of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), and “deter aggression” against them, the spokesperson for the coalition said on Saturday. "

Does it mean they are deployed to hold Turkey at bay?

Edited by Ashez

55 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What is the legal authority for them being there though? 

Do they actually have permission to be there from the Syrian government?

LOL really?  NOW you guys are gonna start respecting other gov'ts?  Good lord this is worthy of a comedy act.  Who's on first also known as What's today's excuse?

1 hour ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Those are Ranger Regiment Strykers @Sgt.Squarehead, they are not governed by the laws of men, and can only be undone by being cast back into the swamp from whence they were forged.

Building a forge in a swamp. 

Typical REMF* Engineers.... 

*Are they even still called that,  these days? 

Edited by kinophile

1 hour ago, sburke said:

LOL really?  NOW you guys are gonna start respecting other gov'ts?  Good lord this is worthy of a comedy act.  Who's on first also known as What's today's excuse?

That's their standard line. Everything what Russians do is OK because they have been invited to Syria by the genocidal Assad regime. I hear the same scripted arguments on every forum, in every language I speak. Green man logic.

Edited by Ivanov

2 hours ago, Ivanov said:

That's their standard line. Everything what Russians do is OK because they have been invited to Syria by the genocidal Assad regime. I hear the same scripted arguments on every forum, in every language I speak. Green man logic.

Well to give some credit, the Strykers are green.  :D  Maybe somebody picked them up on Ebay along with fake flags.

Original-design RPG rounds had a design glitch. Denting the sheetmetal case would cause it to make contact with the inner cone that connected the explosive to the nose fuse, which would short out the electrical connection. Ideally an incoming round wouldn't explode at all. That was the whole design philosophy behind the slat cage. If my memory of old literature is correct, it only worked about 50% of the time, less than they had hoped. The first round to hit a Stryker in Iraq exploded against the forward cage and managed to pierce the hull at a seam between tiles, cutting the engine's cooling line. Something the crew didn't realize til some minutes after the engagement. Later-design (Chinese?) RPG rounds then began showing up which didn't have that fusing glitch. Stryker also relies heavily on it ceramic tiles, though Stryker's ceramic mix is of an inferior quality to Bradley which was judged too expensive. The first Strykers to enter Iraq sported tiles accidentally designed to the wrong specs! Shipments of additional 5mm(?) thick soft steel backing plates had to be rush-shipped to Iraq to be hastily retrofitted to the vehicles.

On 3/4/2017 at 4:28 PM, Ivanov said:

It's interesting to see green Strykers in Syria, while Abrams in desert camo were dispatched to Poland and the Baltics :)

Stryker too green? Put some dust on it.

M1126_Stryker_top_close.jpg

Abrams too brown? Put some netting on it.

ANQ3Tg9.jpg

TC too white? Put some green paint on him?

q7niBmN.jpg

7 hours ago, Ivanov said:

Well said.  They also miss the fact that the US government has been quite open and honest about what its forces are and are not doing in Syria (as one can be about special ops).  The Syrian government can protest at the UN about the US forces fighting their enemies for them.  So far I don't recall they've done that.  I do recall Ukraine protesting Russia's forces in Donbas and Crimea though.  At least once or twice :D

Steve

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

US government has been quite open and honest about what its forces are and are not doing in Syria

I saw photo of cool guy with an American face in Kurd lines some time ago. May be volunteer. :)

Goverment will have to admit partition of Syria. No chances to win fighting "opposition", ISIS, Kurds, Turkey, Israel and Unites States in the same time. But I don't think they are happy about it.

2 hours ago, DMS said:

I saw photo of cool guy with an American face in Kurd lines some time ago. May be volunteer. :)

Goverment will have to admit partition of Syria. No chances to win fighting "opposition", ISIS, Kurds, Turkey, Israel and Unites States in the same time. But I don't think they are happy about 

There's been more than a lot of documentation of western private citizens going to fight with the Kurds. Also Kurds can look very European because skin tone isn't exactly a sure fire way to know anything for sure. 

If those volunteers showed up with a tank battalion with M1A2s and missile support then we'd have something to talk about. But they're just some guys killing ISIS for reasons of their own. 

Green man go home.