I Remade Platoon House Aleksandra in Arma 3

Hello everyone, I'm part of an Arma 3 community named United Operations and I picked up Combat Mission: Black Sea and Final Blitzkrieg based on the recommendation of other members of the community who enjoyed the series. I took a liking to this excellent series and decided that I'd like to bring Imperial Grunt's mission "Platoon House Aleksandra" from CMBS to Arma 3. Now, since Arma does not have the amount of depth of specific assets that CMBS does I was limited in a few areas, but overall I think that I really nailed the look and feel of the mission.

For those who don't know, Platoon House Aleksandra is one of the smaller default missions in CMBS. It features a Russian motorized platoon equipped with three BTR-82As and a T-72 versus an isolated Ukrainian Battalian HQ with a MT-LB Artillery Observation Vehicle, one M2 Humvee, one M240 Humvee, and around a platoon of infantry.

I decided when I began making the mission that it would be a PvP mission because Arma 3 AI really suck at doing anything. I decided to use the same number of fighters as in the original mission and made it a 68 player mission with a 1:1 ratio. I also made some changes to the balance of the mission to ensure that the defenders would have a fighting chance as Arma autocannons are a bit more deadly in the hands of real people than Black Sea Autocannons are in the hands of the CMBS AI. Taking that into account, I removed the attacker's T-72 and gave the defenders a Humvee with a Mk19 rather than the M240 Humvee in the original mission. I also shuffled up some of the buildings and made the compound more square in order to compensate for some limitations I ran into building the compound. Otherwise I was as faithful to the original mission as I could be, I even kept in the Apache that shows up late in the original mission!

Here are some pictures of the compound I created compared to some pictures of the original compound. Please forgive the terrible quality. I am forced to play on a potato laptop as my normal desktop is not with me at the moment.

In the end it took about 15-20 hours to complete the mission and fully test it for any issues. It was well worth it, though, as the mission's first playthrough was a huge hit with the community. Here is a video of the mission that one member created. It does a nice job of showcasing the Ukrainian side of the mission. As of now I don't have any videos of the Russian side, but I have talked to another member who said he had some footage that he plans on editing together. I won't spoil the outcome for those who want to watch the video. If you don't have the patience for a video, here is a much quicker replay of it from our AAR tool.

Thanks to Imperial Grunt for designing such a great mission! It transferred over to Arma 3 very well and I had a great time making it. If anyone wants to come and play with us, it's easy to join as we don't have any application process like other communities. Just register and download the mod pack and you're good to go! Here is a guide to help get started.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Funny, but I am doing the same thing with Steel Beasts and CMBS.  There are some concessions I'll have to make because SB is geared more towards early 2000's at best.  I have been looking for a scenario about the right size and this looks like this one might work.  Thanks.

SgtDeadly12,

Welcome aboard!

A fine post, graced by a delightful expression (potato computer) I'd not encountered before, took an instant to process, then made me laugh. I don't have Arma anything, indeed any  FPS game. I started watching the informative video, but had to abandon it because the visuals were to dynamic for my injured brain to handle. Am recuperating from a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and am under doctor's orders not to play FPS video games. My brief exposure to the dynamic image changes as you ran into the woods was too much and caused my head to ache and me to start to feel disoriented. That said, I do think the plan to essentially throw you away as bait was stupid when you could be doing the things guys with SVDs are trained to do. Though I can't watch video, it would be great if you could post stills, provided BFC's okay with that.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Sgt. Deadly, 

While I don't have ArmA 3 I one day look forward in joining your gaming organization United Operations along with my son. Is United Operations safe for children? I have a son and I want him to play some milsim games to get inspired in his JROTCing. My son's name he uses when he games is pancake. 

Yours, Sovietpolarbear :)

Edited by sovietpolarbear

On 3/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, Artkin said:

I used to play UO on A2. How active is the community nowadays? Still 40 people playing at any normal time? UO was the only ShackTac-esque community i could get my hands on

5 hours ago, Artkin said:

Sovietpolarbear... Why do I recall that name faintly? What communities are you a part of?

P.s. OP forgot about us :unsure:

I didn't forget! I just was biding my time...

Anyways, the community is not nearly as active as it used to be. Usually, we only get 60-70 players at peak times on the weekends and have ~12 players doing seeder missions in the evening. We also have a Tuesday session that people normally show up to. We were even having a bit of a resurgence lately with a number of new players. Unfortunately, we aren't playing at the moment because Arma 3's recent 64-bit update broke our server and we haven't been able to figure out a fix yet. However, we will definitely be playing as soon as that is fixed, so come play with us then!

Edited by SgtDeadly12
Inserting Quotes