Quality difference between this and CMFB

As I posted before i was planning on getting either this or Final Blitzkreig, One of the main argument points were that its really a choice of quality over quantity, and how FB was newer So there would be some upgrades. But my real question is how much more quality is FB compared to BN is it a lot or is it just little things like riding on tanks as well as other new features. Any insight would be awesome thanks.

Since v4.0 came out normandy has just about all of blitzkreigs features such as visual gunfire, fire effects and more, I am very glad they did this. I would say get them both. You won't be at a disappoint.

CM Battle for Normandy BIG BUNDLE

Best value! This complete edition bundle contains it all: the base game and all Modules and both Packs in one go, all up to date with Game Engine 4. CM Battle for Normandy BIG BUNDLE

^ that's for all of normandy packs complete 4.0

Edited by user1000

I first got final blitzkrieg, I really love the era but the only features it has that CMBN doesn't are tank riders and more modern weapons I think. I couldn't resist and had to buy the Normandy + commonwealth bundle and the quality is the same due to the V4 update and I haven't been let down. With both games the battles you can have is endless and I can guarantee you will enjoy it too. It's your choice so get which one appeals to you more. Personally FB is more open with less cover available due to most of the fighting being in the Ardennes region whereas CMBN is different as there is more cover due to hedgerows. 

Theyre both amazing games so good luck in deciding which one you want! :D

Edited by silent_crescendo
Spelling

I really hope I don't sound "anti-CMBN" here, because I'm not. Definitely not. Both titles kick butt, and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either choice.

But... I think there's one more thing to consider, that I haven't seen explicitly mentioned: all those old CMBN maps were designed with old versions of the engine, so they have AI plans -- missions, campaigns, and all the quick battles -- that don't use the improved features of the newer engines. (Triggers is one big feature that comes to mind.) And, to me, the AI just seems better in the newer games. It could be the placebo effect, I suppose. But the thing which suggests to me that it's probably not is that I get that same 'Final Blitzkrieg' feeling (richer, more complex battles, with bigger maps) with CMBN's newest missions in the Battle Pack, too. So... yeah.

Maybe the terrain types / environments / weather should be the deciding factors for you? Hedgerow fighting in Normandy is much, much different from the snowy, rolling forests of the Ardennes.

If the CMBN Battle Pack is included in the bundle, that might be one thing that could swing it towards that title? And even if the Battle Pack is not included, I think it's only $10 or so. There are plenty of missions in it to keep you busy for awhile. (I'm playing one of them now, actually -- "Drop Zone Charlie"... and it's fantastic.)

Edited by sttp

6 minutes ago, Mark_McLeod said:

ya thats a good point, its a tough decision for sure, because what im most looking foward too is new maps and how the cities look but on both of them the cities and towns look similar.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'quality' of the scenarios or campaigns. The maps and AI are better in the newer releases but the quality is still good for the older stuff. The engine is near identical in both. In my opinion the early campaigns and scenarios supplied with the original CMBN are better for 'learning' the basics of the game system than the newer titles.

"...one more thing to consider, that I haven't seen explicitly mentioned: all those old CMBN maps were designed with old versions of the engine, so they have AI plans -- missions, campaigns, and all the quick battles -- that don't use the improved features of the newer engines. (Triggers is one big feature that comes to mind.) And, to me, the AI just seems better in the newer games."

That's a really good point.  What's the point of upgrading the older games if there is little or no new content that takes advantage of the newer features?  Perhaps professionally made content from BF needs to be developed and purchased by BF customers.

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

That's a really good point. 

It is actually. Good one @sttp I personally would second @niall78's point though that does not negate how good the older scenarios are just because new content has the opportunity to be even better.

What's the point of upgrading the older games if there is little or no new content that takes advantage of the newer features? 

Well it is step one. There will be no scenarios with the new AI plan features for CMBN without releasing a version of CMBN with those features :)

Perhaps professionally made content from BF needs to be developed and purchased by BF customers.

Which would be cool - I think the battle pack idea is a good one. We haven't heard an update on BFC's plans for any new ones as of yet.

Ok, McCloud...Just go ahead and get CMBN (along with Modules, and maybe Battle & Vehicle Packs) and CMRT now. This way you will at least have one Western Front and one Eastern Front game to play...Then, down the road get CMFI and CMFB.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

10 hours ago, silent_crescendo said:

Personally FB is more open with less cover available due to most of the fighting being in the Ardennes region whereas CMBN is different as there is more cover due to hedgerows.

True that there are hedgerows in BN that restrict LOS, but scenarios and QBs that are set after the Cobra breakout frequently feature more open terrain. And FB has dense forests, hills, villages, etc. that also restrict LOS. So, while there is a difference, it is not as great as sometimes rumored.

Michael

Alot of the AI plans in CMBN campaigns and sceneareos predate the use of triggers and other such engine upgrades and theirfor are fairly simple compaired to some of the more complicated ones in later titles, also the Devs just got more skilled at Making AI plans over time. so that's what makes them feel "worse". the AI however runs identically in all titles at the moment except FI

Edit: made a mistake the AI runs identically in all CMx2 titles except CMFI, CMSF and CMA. and CMFI only temporarily runs differently until the 4.0 patch

Edited by Cobetco

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Bmsimpson said:

Do most of the AI differences only manifest in single player?  Primarily PBEM player here.

Yes and it is not MOST it is ALL - the discussion about AI quality centres around what tools scenario designers had (or rather didn't have - such as triggers) at the time CMBN was launched. As a result most of the bundled scenarios, campaigns and QBs don't have triggers or the other new fangled tools in the 4.0 engine.  If you are primarily a PBEM player then the point is moot because the Tac AI which is the thing that makes the reactive decisions to the magic minute during turn execution in WEGO (eg to cower or return fire) is now the same in CMBN as CMFB if both games are patched to the same standard.

And as I said before, while the new AI tools available to scenario designers add more flexibility, it is still perfectly possible to create a good AI plan without all of those tools because I never used them for the two scenarios I designed which bundled with CMFB.

So ... nothing to see here really.  As always if you want to recreate/play Normandy and Market Garden you should buy CMBN and the Market Garden modules - if you want later war stuff you should buy CMFB.