OK... that was awesome!

1 hour ago, klkitchens said:

I knew I should have said "no suggestions please" but as Mortars are part of my planned solution, no harm done. :)

My personality likes to solve problems my own first and get help only when I need it. 

And I deliberately keep it down to just a generalized hint for that very reason. I guess I must have picked up a vibe that you weren't looking for a detailed tutorial. Good luck and much enjoyment on your problem solving.

:)

Michael

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, klkitchens said:

So still trying to decide which to get first: Normandy or FB... so I downloaded the FB demo as well and really only launched the first mission to see what it looked like and didn't expect to play it out.  But I left the game paused after just a few seconds and spent time with my wife for the evening, then came up to see how bad I'd lose (on easy level of course...) and I won!  Total Allied Victory!  Yeah yeah, easy mode, only my second game of the system, but still was pretty cool.  Early mistakes at first, but got better acquainted with the camera system, the pause and resume, waypointing move orders, better use of cover, etc...  Coolest thing I saw was, we two things.

First was just cool to do... We "saw" finally an anti-tank gun all the way across the map.  And he had my tank in sight!  So started the tank moving out of the way and when he had a shot, told him to take it and KA-POO-YAH!  it went!

Second happened first and is cool on the part of the game developers.  Squad of two soldiers (I guess recon?) early on I ran them up with the others and one guy got hit, told the other guy to hide and he did.  But then a few minutes later he crawled over to his buddy and started attending to his wounds.  WOW!

All this is nothing you guys haven't seen before, but hooked is a truth. 

Not just to decide which one to get first (cannot be both!)  Love the though of all the Normandy content... but like the feel of FB too.

Damn it's great when new blood fall the game in this way:)

Welcome:)

Oh abit of advice. For single player I say stick to the premade scenarios and campaigns..easy enough out there to keep you happy for years. Quick battle is really best for PBEM/multiplayer.

Edited by Wodin

51 minutes ago, Wodin said:

Oh abit of advice. For single player I say stick to the premade scenarios and campaigns..easy enough out there to keep you happy for years. Quick battle is really best for PBEM/multiplayer.

The game rocks.  With WEGO mode it's worse than Civilization for that "one more turn" thing.

I wish I'd saved my game prior to a turn last night -- ARGH!  Thought I'd told my tank to move forward, fire, and then move backwards.  Oops.  I miskeyed and changed his move forward to move backwards... and he did, taking a lot of time to turn around to do so and got walloped by the AT Gun...

What a blast (not pun intended).

Oh I hate it when that happens. Sometimes when you try to drop a way point close to an existing one it will change the existing one into whatever type you have selected instead of dropping a new one. To have that be the reason you loose a tank sucks - we have all been there and done that.

In general I agree with @Wodin but I will say that some times a quick battle with the AI where you just rush your forces forward can be a hoot. Plus they are a good way to experiment with a tactic or a type of unit or to practice coordinating movements etc. I would hate to break the FOW on a scenario for testing.

On March 2, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Wodin said:

Which is an opinion I do not hold. I think QBs are fine for single players. They can be tailored to fit the player's skill level or any particular interest he has.

There is another reason I shy away from most ready-made scenarios. Understandably they are usually designed so that either side has a fair chance to win. That's okay for competitive play, which is usually the case with a multiplayer game. But there is an old saying that strategy is the art of never having to fight fair. Or these days it might be called Operational Art. In any serious attack that is expected to make progress, the attacker is going to be provided with a preponderance of force. This can be measured in number of troops, quality of same, how well they are armed, any force multipliers such as artillery, assault engineers, air support, armor, whatever. I like games where my immediate superiors know that and give me enough to do the job with a reasonable expectation of success. Anything else is either an economy of force operation where not much is expected or it's a suicide mission.

Michael

On March 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM, IanL said:

Sometimes when you try to drop a way point close to an existing one it will change the existing one into whatever type you have selected instead of dropping a new one.

I find that intensely annoying, and as you imply, potentially fatal. I call it a bug and want it to be fixed, but I don't know if it will.

Michael

So, speaking of mortars... .Is there a way to drop smoke?   I've a Stug III that needs blinding.  

The other option is to put my jumbo forward, whilst my 76 attempts a kill, or smokes the Stug III, though I fear this while result in the loss of a Sherman.

Edited by littleGuy

17 hours ago, littleGuy said:

So, speaking of mortars... .Is there a way to drop smoke?   I've a Stug III that needs blinding.  

The other option is to put my jumbo forward, whilst my 76 attempts a kill, or smokes the Stug III, though I fear this while result in the loss of a Sherman.

Dropping smoke: if your on-map ordnance (guns, tanks, mortars) have smoke shells, then in your Combat menu one of the options is SMOKE. (The UI will show you how many.) Select SMOKE and, taking account of the wind and drift, place your desired smoke target. (It'll fire smoke at a rapid pace until it either runs out or you change it's orders. A 15 second pause with a move/FACE away will stop the smoking after 15 seconds, for example.) For squads, if they have smoke grenades, they'll have SMOKE as a special option. Use FACE to target the 20m smoke line. (Face first, then smoke.)

For off-map, smoke is a separate type of mission. Call it in normally, but choose smoke.

Or, drive your smallest tank in front of the StuG. Let the StuG brew it up, and use the resulting wreck/smoke as cover for the rest of your men. It's faster that way. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/27/2017 at 3:44 PM, Erwin said:

It's the granularity and detail that is attractive to most CM devotees.  CM2 is the tactical version of Grigsby's War In The Pacific if you know that classic game.  You kinda have to enjoy micromanaging to enjoy the CM series.  What takes time is rewinding the turn video to see what happened to every unit.  But, that is also fun for most of us - a bit like watching a war film.

True, WEGO is best way to play.Otherwise, its just a clickfest.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:45 PM, klkitchens said:

The game rocks.  With WEGO mode it's worse than Civilization for that "one more turn" thing.

I wish I'd saved my game prior to a turn last night -- ARGH!  Thought I'd told my tank to move forward, fire, and then move backwards.  Oops.  I miskeyed and changed his move forward to move backwards... and he did, taking a lot of time to turn around to do so and got walloped by the AT Gun...

What a blast (not pun intended).

To experience a proper CM wargasm, I would recommend h2h WeGo PBEM Iron mode!