Can a modder help me with tracer .bmp?

I've tried modding the Tracer bmp files but find I lose the transparency.  e.g I end up with a black color around the actual colored tracer. I've tried using GIMP to add transparency but have had no success.  I did try using the wizard tool to select the 'black' parts and make them an alpha layer 'opacity' to 100. I get the checkered background. But when the game shows the tracer the whole thing is a black rectangle

Could one of your modders help me out?  Maybe a step by step guide. 

Edited by weta_nz

I ended up downloading the latest cloud version of Photoshop and it seems to be all working as expected.  I can edit the files directly now and save them and still keep the transparency. :)

I've modded the German tracer to be the color the mg42 has in the first battle scene in the movie 'Fury'. The one with the destroyed half tracks and 75mm anti-tank guns. (Sorry tracer grogs - it looks a litle star warsy but I don't care if it is correct or not I just think it looks cool!! haha).  Not totally happy with the results yet but I have managed to get a transparent tail fade which I like.

• 1 year later...

Is downloading and using another graphical editor to do the converting remain the only way to get gimp images with transparency to work in combat mission?

Interested to have some icons based on this in my CMBN and CMFI but as with here and other posts I just end up an black square.

Edited by Oliver_88

I've posted this elsewhere but Pixelformer has always been my editor of choice for adding transparency to bitmaps, not just for icons but all size images. In fact it's so versatile, I will use it in place of Corelli Paintshop to do a broad number of tasks. I can't recommend it enough...it's a small file package and most importantly it's free! Go see and try it for yourself:-

http://www.qualibyte.com/