Any news about CMFI 4.0 release

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allso a heads up on the install. The default install directory was wrong so I had to change it manually to the right one. 

Usually patches and uppgrades finds the right one automatically so I almost missed that.

Edited by Swant

18 minutes ago, Swant said:

Allso a heads up on the install. The default install directory was wrong so I had to change it manually to the right one. 

Usually patches and uppgrades finds the right one automatically so I almost missed that.

My bold... That's why I wrote the following in my post (upstream), bolded for emphasis:

9 hours ago, c3k said:

I'm not Steve (thankfully! ;) ), and the following is "use at your own risk": The complete version is a clean method of installing. If your previous install was a bit wonky, I'd suggest the complete version. (The upgrade is FAR smaller and faster to download. The complete version is large, but should fix any previous errors endemic to a particular install.)

First, (and I'm sure you know this, but I'll add it in for anyone else who's reading along) save your mods to a location outside of your BFC directory. Next, copy your savegames somewhere else, as well. This step with savegames is just being cautious. Then, uninstall. I'd recommend deleting the game folder, as well. This should leave a clean location with no remnants for your complete version.

Run the install. Remember, it will automatically point the install to the default location. If this is not where you like your BFC goodness to reside, this is your chance to change it.

Next, from INSIDE the newly installed game folder, find the "Activate New Products" link. Clickee. Use the method Steve discussed above (and in the sticky) to activate. (You still need to use the various Engine 3 and Engine 4 keys and whatnot.) Linkee... http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/28-instructions-for-upgrading-cmfi-to-engine-4/

Run the game. Good? Great. Exit.

Put your mods back where you like them and copy your savegames back where they belong.

It should all be good...

Now, there may be a misunderstanding with the term "default". In this case, it's the location that BFC's installer points the file. If you have CHANGED that location, your location is no longer the "default". It is, shall we say, "customized"?

As well, there may be a misunderstanding with what to do with the downloaded upgrade file. (It's been covered before, but repetition is the mother of invention...or something.) Download the upgrade file. It is zipped. (Hey, if you're on a Mac, I have no idea what it does or how it comes. This is pure windows.) Stick that zipped file ANYWHERE YOU WANT. Unzip it. It really, really, really, really helps if you unzip it in its own folder. For example, I've got a "Game Upgrades and Downloads/Battlefront/Big Bundle 4/CMFI Full Install" folder. There is NOTHING ELSE in it except the big full install zipped file. I unzip it...in that same folder. Clean and tidy... (Now is when you should follow the normal upgrade steps: remove/backup your mods and savegames and decide if you want to nuke your old install or not.) Run the upgrade exe which has been newly unzipped in your clean and tidy folder.

POINT IT TO YOUR DESIRED INSTALL LOCATION. (Yeah, some games have self-aware patches/upgrades which sniff out the mother file no matter where you've hidden her. BFC doesn't do that. It REALLY helps if you want to keep an old install running in parallel with a new install. There's a nice benefit to this system.)

Hope no one trips up...

2 minutes ago, c3k said:

My bold... That's why I wrote the following in my post (upstream), bolded for emphasis:

Now, there may be a misunderstanding with the term "default". In this case, it's the location that BFC's installer points the file. If you have CHANGED that location, your location is no longer the "default". It is, shall we say, "customized"?

Yes but I didn't change it. The default when I installed CMFI is not the same as the default for 4.00

2 minutes ago, Jumpete said:

Great news Steve, thanks at BF team for the hard work. Now (and knowing that you never give exact dates), can we wait the next italian module before Summer?

the new armies appear to be already set up to be added to the game, if you go to the quick battle selector they are all there. and the hype is building! i wonder if we'll see features like tank riding and mortar half tracks working in the module? since the upgrade didn't add that

6 hours ago, Holman said:

Quick question:

Is the CMFI release identical (mutatis mutandis) to the level of code in the other engine 4 releases, or have further tweaks been made?

I ask because it seems that some infantry behavior issues were discovered right after the first engine 4 releases, and I wonder if any adjustments made it into CMFI.  Or is there a next round of patches coming?

One adjustment. Air support is less puissant in the face of AAA.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

@Rastamon

I think this should work. 

First create a new short shortcut to the exe file, then right click on it and go into properties.

Then add the  -showui at the end of the target location 

mine looks like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Fortress Italy\CM Fortress Italy.exe" -showui

Click ok, and then left click the shortcut and it should bring up the activation screen.

P

Sorry about the extra PITA on this one.  I've said it many times and will keep saying it... when we started with CMBN and CMFI the DRM was not friendly to additional content being added per customer choice.  They changed the DRM in large part because we asked them to.  CMBN underwent the transition when we released v3.10, the other games mostly avoided it, and now it's time for Italy to get through the process.

For the most part a successful outcome depends on two things:

1.  Getting a Engine 4 installation complete.  As with all installation processes, there's a number of things (technical and "user error") that can get in the way.  This time is no different than any other.

2.  Relicensing *all* your previous CMFI purchases.  This process is now *much* easier than it has ever been, but still not perfect.  Do something wrong here and things won't work out so well.

The good thing about relicensing is the answer is almost always to exit the game, launch with "Activate New Products" link, enter a license key, and keep repeating until you've done so with *all* your CMFI keys.  The order is not important.

Steve

3 hours ago, Rastamon said:

I don't have an Activate Modules file for CMFI/GL.  I can only find one in the game folder for CMBN, CMRT and CMBS.  Any way I can get that without having to download the entire game again?

The easiest thing to do is to open one of those other ones up, save somewhere else (desktop). Open in a text editor. Once open it's easy to see how to edit it with the CMFI name. The format is the same as the others. I've done this myself a few times.

Then you can run it and it will be pointing to CMFI for activation.

2 hours ago, Rastamon said:

Thanks for that Pete and Mikey.  Made the change and it launches the activation for CMFI 3.0, which then accepts my 3.0 key, but my 4.0 Bundle key is not accepted. When I launch the CMFI it's still showing v1.2

You do not have an Engine 4 installation.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  So you need to try to install either the Update or the Full installer again.  Pay very, very close attention to the installation process and see if you can figure out what it is doing.  If you have the game installed in custom location, check your C Drive's Program Files directory and see if the files wound up there.  You can copy them over to where your game installation is and that should work provided you make sure the files go to exactly where they need to be.

Steve

7 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

When I buy the CMFI+GL bundle. Do i need to buy the engine 3 upgrade as well? I have the engine 4 big bundle allready. 

If you purchased CMFI-GL Bundle prior to this weekend, yes you need to purchase Upgrade 3 (Engine 3 license) to get the game working.  The Upgrade 4 Big Bundle requires you to have Engine 3 licenses for all products (CMBN and CMFI are the only two games that did not start out with Engine 3).

The confusion comes from the fact that the old CMFI Base and Bundle options were never updated to Engine 3, so without a deliberate purchase of Upgrade 3 (Engine 3) by default everybody only has Engine 2.  We did not integrate Engine 3 into CMFI because we needed to rebuild the game and that didn't happen until now.

Steve

Got it working,what...7 hours after first attempt.  I entered all four serial numbers 2-3 times with no feedback other than the game wouldn't activate.  The helpdesk got back to me a few minutes ago to tell me CMFI and 4.0 activated, but 3.0 and GL didn't.  They have no idea why.  I tried re-entering both twice, got the error "x" on 3.0, but GL finally activated the second time and that seemed to activate everything else.  Holy crap...

Not sure if anyone can learn anything from this or not.

7 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

If you purchased CMFI-GL Bundle prior to this weekend, yes you need to purchase Upgrade 3 (Engine 3 license) to get the game working.  The Upgrade 4 Big Bundle requires you to have Engine 3 licenses for all products (CMBN and CMFI are the only two games that did not start out with Engine 3).

The confusion comes from the fact that the old CMFI Base and Bundle options were never updated to Engine 3, so without a deliberate purchase of Upgrade 3 (Engine 3) by default everybody only has Engine 2.  We did not integrate Engine 3 into CMFI because we needed to rebuild the game and that didn't happen until now.

Steve

I have not bought CMFI yet. I intend to do so tomorrow. And i will but the bundle with Gustav Line. When i buy that tomorrow. IF I understand you right, i dont have to buy engine 3 uppgrade? That big installer is engine 4 out of box (well download) or did i missunderstood you? I bought engine 4 big bundle, since i have alredy RT, BS and FB.

2 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

I have not bought CMFI yet. I intend to do so tomorrow. And i will but the bundle with Gustav Line. When i buy that tomorrow. IF I understand you right, i dont have to buy engine 3 uppgrade? That big installer is engine 4 out of box (well download) or did i missunderstood you? I bought engine 4 big bundle, since i have alredy RT, BS and FB.

Even easier... CMFI/Gustav Bundle is completely updated to Engine 4 :) You won't need to do anything more than buy, install, and use *one* license key to activate the whole thing. 

The CMFI license that came with your Upgrade 4 Big Bundle is redundant, though because you used it for 3 games already you came out ahead as you paid $25 for $30 worth of stand alone Upgrades.  And of course CMBN is in the mix for you at some point as well.

Steve