Any news about CMFI 4.0 release

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dynaman216 said:

Thanks!  CMFI always did have that ugly stepsister vibe, nice to know it is being made a full member of the family now.

Nah, it's a pretty good looking step-sister, but she should have ditched the 1980s big hair and leg warmers long ago :D

A little background...

The TO&E for CMFI was originally based on the TO&E code and details found in CMBN v1.x.  With Engine 2 we made major changes to the TO&E coding to improve lots of things, in particular uniforms.  Since CMFI started out as Engine 2, the two games were effectively the same to you guys.  What happened after that, though, started a divergence.  The CMBN TO&E was improved so that it could be readily adapted to CMRT.  In the process we fixed things with the original CMBN TO&E that were in error, inconsistent, or using older techniques.  Those changes automatically applied to CMBN, not to CMFI.  CMRT was released with Engine 3.  Next we made CMFB, which again was based on CMBN/CMRT TO&E as a starting point.  Again, when problems were found with the original TO&E we made changes.  Those changes automatically applied to CMBN, CMRT, and CMFB, not CMFI.

When we started making Upgrade 4 for CMFI we were initially going to smooth out a couple of specific issues (like Flamethrowers) and call it good.  However, we were already working on CMFI's 2nd Module (Rome to Victory) and were already converting the CMFI TO&E to be in synch with CMBN, CMRT, and CMFB in terms of structures and coding.  We were originally going to have the totally overhauled TO&E made available when Rome To Victory was released.  Then we thought it would be better to role it out right away with Engine 4's new release, though we didn't have time to do that as Christmas came upon us.  It was the right thing to do, however I wildly underestimated how long it would take to make the conversions and have the issues shaken out by our testers.

Which brings us to today :D

The fun thing is that for a while CMFI will have the best, most up-to-date TO&E of all WW2 CM games.  Because inevitably we found things along the way that required fixes which apply to CMBN/CMRT/CMFB.  We'll be putting out patches for the other games to bring them up to the same standards, but maybe we should let CMFI customers have some bragging rights for wee bit of time :D

Steve

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

However, we were already working on CMFI's 2nd Module (Rome to Victory)

is that the working title or the new modules actual title, because if its the real title I'll have to whip up some art

Edited by Cobetco

Great news, looking forward to seeing Italy in 4.0.

Very nice to know why it's taken so lonmg and I agree it makes sense to get CMFI right up to date before moving onwards.

Looking forward to battling in Italy again - my favourite CM location.

Good news . Today I made myself a present in the form of the CMFB, it remains only to buy Italy. Will not have to long for the hope.

Хорошая новость . Сегодня сделал себе подарок в виде CMFB , осталось приобрести только Италию . Долго ждать не придётся надеюсь .

On 3/10/2017 at 4:24 PM, Battlefront.com said:

....... Which brings us to today :D

The fun thing is that for a while CMFI will have the best, most up-to-date TO&E of all WW2 CM games.  Because inevitably we found things along the way that required fixes which apply to CMBN/CMRT/CMFB.  We'll be putting out patches for the other games to bring them up to the same standards, but maybe we should let CMFI customers have some bragging rights for wee bit of time :D

Steve

Early CMFI fan from the start for the many unique features.

Terrain is more wide open than other titles. Add GL✅ and you get a ton more interesting units to battle with. Just an interesting title as it is IMO

Soon... with the most up-to-date TO&E of all WW2 CM games... I am all in again for amore in Italy??

Buzz

22 hours ago, Wodin said:

Once version 4 is out expect to see a CMFI review at A Wargamers Needful Things

I look forward to reading it.  Hopefully soon.  Do you mean after the 4.0 engine upgrade or the new module Rome to Victory?  Or a review for each? 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

On 3/10/2017 at 4:24 PM, Battlefront.com said:

<snipped>

It was the right thing to do, however I wildly underestimated how long it would take to make the conversions and have the issues shaken out by our testers.

<snipped>

Steve

The classic Battlefront approach; thoughtful and deliberate with a clear focus on quality, which is why these games excel!  Kudos to the team.  Please serve no wine before it's time but know that it will be truly relished when ready.  I expect to pair this vintage with Mamertino, the wine of Julius Caesar B).  Truly looking forward to it.  Good luck and Godspeed!

On March 9, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Battlefront.com said:

We're nearly there :D

One question, Steve. I bought the v4 Big Bundle when it went on sale in December; will I need to make any additional purchase to get the complete v4 version (to date) of FI/GL? I assume that getting the late war module would be indeed a separate purchase.

Michael

On 3/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, Battlefront.com said:

It was the right thing to do, however I wildly underestimated how long it would take to make the conversions and have the issues shaken out by our testers.

Which brings us to today :D

As a fellow software dev I have heard, and probably made, an analogous statement in countless meetings. That is why there is the saying that "the last 20% ends up taking 80% of the time".

'Chaos is found in greatest abundance where order is being sought.'

21 hours ago, DeutschRitter said:

Today I wanted to buy the Gustav Line expansion but I couldnt find it in the store. Does it has something to do with the upcoming update? Is Gustav Line now included for all Fortress Italy customers?

No it just means it was taken down. I thought that Steve added it back.

At one point all of CMFI was taken off the store because it's upgrade to v4 was delayed. At the time it was planned to be ready very soon but now that it was delayed I thought Steve put it back up. I see that the base game is available but GL is not. I am sure that is just a mistake and once the v4 upgrade is sorted it will be back too.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

I look forward to reading it.  Hopefully soon.  Do you mean after the 4.0 engine upgrade or the new module Rome to Victory?  Or a review for each? 

Everything I presume (though obviously Rome to Victory wasn't discussed previously). Depends on Battlefront:)

I have one question. When 4.0 was released I bought the bundle which includes all the updates. Of course I havent received the 4.0 update for CMFI so far. Will I get notified when this will be avaiable? And where can I download it then?

I have no idea if there will be individual notifications sent out but it will certainly be posted here. You will be able to download the CMFI installers from the same place you downloaded the other titles: log into the store, look at the order where you purchased the bundle, click the download link, make sure you uncheck the other titles you already downloaded.

On 15/03/2017 at 0:10 AM, Badger73 said:

The classic Battlefront approach; thoughtful and deliberate with a clear focus on quality, which is why these games excel!  Kudos to the team.  Please serve no wine before it's time but know that it will be truly relished when ready.  I expect to pair this vintage with Mamertino, the wine of Julius Caesar B).  Truly looking forward to it.  Good luck and Godspeed!

Yes, quality first please. A somewhat rare commodity these days.

Mamertino for Caeser, not sure I have heard that before, will have to look into it. :)