Any news about CMFI 4.0 release

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Didn't original 4.0 announcement say mid-January?

I am sure the developers are aware of the their announcement and the current date. So this is what it feels like to follow a kickstarter project ;)  Doesn't matter to me, will just play the other games until it is done.

yeah I do have to second Thewood1, some communication would be appreciated, if only to give a revised date and/or reason for the delay. Self inflicted due dates are always far too optimistic. Something always goes wrong, or something comes up outside of the project that effects its pace.(I'm totally not working on something that's past due by a week, nope not at all)

Edited by Cobetco

I'm not an insider, but I assume that the initially announced date was based purely on time for programming CMFI to the 4.0 standard.

Now that a few bugs have emerged with 4.0, they're probably fixing those first, then planning to release CMFI 4.0 along with patches for the other titles.

Unfortunately, bug-squashing takes a while.

People seem to get generally butt-hurt when you point out missed dates.  These things happen.  I don't think anyone freaks out about a target date.  But just some common business sense would be to let people know what's going on.  It takes a minute or two to post a quick update.  It would immediately kill a thread like this for a few weeks.

4 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

<Snip> let people know what's going on.  It takes a minute or two to post a quick update.  <Snip> 

BFC could use the interest people show in upcoming releases to their advantage.  Maybe just a twice or once a month tease on the release.  If a screenshot was included all the better.  (They could even issue a disclaimer the final product may not exactly resemble the screenshot if they are concerned about that possibility)  For example: post a screenshot of a fire team or vehicle, from the upcoming release, with no description and no UI visible.  Ask the community what type of unit and where in the TOE said unit was taken from.  The grogs likely would fill pages on the forum in their (sometimes heated) discussion about said unit.  A few weeks later BFC could post the answer and leave another teaser.  They could conclude each tease with a short statement: Still working on it guys.  Maybe early Summer instead of Spring due to some bug crushing.  Thank you for your patience.  

IMO this would help to keep people tuned into BFC and encourage a vibrant healthy community forum.    

This is an example below taken from the current CMFI.  Can you identify the weapon?  

Example_zpsw1dyarho.jpg

I think this is a cool idea and I make a motion to nominate @IanL to implement said cool idea :lol: :D.  Can I get a second aye on the motion? .....  

totally agree with the above comments. BFC were the ones who gave the original deadline, if they can't make it then it wouldn't hurt to drop a quick line as way of an update. Its a simple thing to do, and stops negativity towards BFC.

In my opinion it is poor business to behave this way and does not put them in a positive light, which is silly for something that is so easy to rectify. After all their business revolves around paid for upgrades and addons, which you'd  think would mean they would want to keep their current customer base happy and informed of developments, to foster intrest in further products.

regards

slipper

13 minutes ago, Erwin said:

...Ask where and how the paratrooper got the scar on his face...

Claus was fishing and goofing off while on post, and got a hook stuck in his cheek, and proceeded to hide the wound from his superior and medical staff until it got infected. 

23 hours ago, Slipper said:

totally agree with the above comments. BFC were the ones who gave the original deadline, if they can't make it then it wouldn't hurt to drop a quick line as way of an update. Its a simple thing to do, and stops negativity towards BFC.

In my opinion it is poor business to behave this way and does not put them in a positive light, which is silly for something that is so easy to rectify. After all their business revolves around paid for upgrades and addons, which you'd  think would mean they would want to keep their current customer base happy and informed of developments, to foster intrest in further products.

regards

slipper

Perhaps it is poor business but maybe that's one of the things I love about BFC.

BFC is run by creative artists not bean counters thank the Gods. It is a labour of love to them and no doubt they could make a Tonne of dosh working for some giant military contractor instead.

Regarding release dates, given the ever increasing complexity of modern games and BFC's finite resources, I think year quarters would be more appropriate.

1 minute ago, Kuderian said:

BFC is run by creative artists not bean counters thank the Gods. It is a labour of love to them and no doubt they could make a Tonne of dosh working for some giant military contractor instead.

Good for you! That's a point I have tried to make many times in these kinds of threads. I'm glad somebody else agrees with me.

Michael

1 hour ago, Kuderian said:

It is a labour of love to them and no doubt they could make a Tonne of dosh working for some giant military contractor instead.

Yes your probably right, and lucky for us they continue to work on this. But can you see my reasoning, that the deadline on CMFI was imposed by BFC themselves. Therefore when the deadline could not be met, surely someone could take a few minutes out of their time to post a quick update?

1 hour ago, Kuderian said:

Regarding release dates, given the ever increasing complexity of modern games and BFC's finite resources, I think year quarters would be more appropriate.

• Yes probably right on this too. But all i was asking for was an update on a passed deadline. Maybe a year quarter would be a better option, but thats for BFC to say not for us to assume, which is kind of the point.

I am not having a dig at BFC here please don't get me wrong,. I have played most of the titles from CMBO onwards and thoroughly enjoyed them, just asking for a little communication, which can only be good for customer/BFC relations.

regards

slipper

Well, it is frustrating, having bought the big bundle upgrade 10 days ago and CMFI being my current focus, to see that if I had a Mac I would be there, but as I am a PC user I have no idea when I might be able to get the upgrade. Still, I am sure when it eventually turns up it will have been worth the wait.

Sorry for the delays.  Here's where things stand:

The original CMFI TO&E was put into place years ago and (for coding reasons that have since changed) was kept totally separate from CMBN's TO&E.  When we went to make Engine 3 the CMBN TO&E was standardized and used for CMRT and then later Engine 4 and CMFB.  This meant that fixes for one were applied to all.  Unfortunately, CMFI was not brought into compliance until now because it's a massive amount of work.  Such are the joys of maturing a game engine instead of starting from scratch every 2-3 years or just letting things get moldy.

We've mostly got the CMFI TO&E straightened out and compliant with the current standards, but we've had to re-work in all the many oddities specific to the Italian theater and/or are related to dates of deployment.  Which is one reason we didn't try fixing the CMFI TO&E back when we did Upgrade 3 :D

The point of all this is for you guys to have consistent TO&E from game to game instead of having X unit be portrayed correctly in one game and incorrectly in another, they are now all the same (presuming we've patched all games).

OK, now onto the most obvious question... when will all this be complete?  Good question ;)  I'm hoping it won't take too much longer because it's already taken 4 weeks longer than expected.  And I do not want to do any more all night until 5 in the morning marathon fix sessions.  I'm not as young as I used to be!

Steve