Engineers dont use demo charges against

antaress73

My engineers stayed 2 mins 8 meters from an Abrams (behind) and they never used their demo charges to disable It. Actually There was Three squads surrounding the tank and none used their most potent weapon. The manual specifically state demo charges can be used AT short range against armor. Bug ?

I just tried repeatedly in the editor, and could not make it work when they were 2,5 tiles, 20m away. But when I placed them adjacent diagonally then engineers used their demo charges. At the same time I placed them diagonally, I also turned down the Abrams crew to bad motivation and green, so cannot for sure whether distance is the only factor, or crew proficiency matter.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:33 PM, antaress73 said:

My engineers stayed 2 mins 8 meters from an Abrams (behind) and they never used their demo charges to disable It. Actually There was Three squads surrounding the tank and none used their most potent weapon. The manual specifically state demo charges can be used AT short range against armor. Bug ?

Were they actual engineers or infantry armed with breach charges?  CMBS has a difference between the two.  Breach charges can only be used against walls, buildings etc.  Demo charges can also be used against vehicles.  

57 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Were they actual engineers or infantry armed with breach charges?  CMBS has a difference between the two.  Breach charges can only be used against walls, buildings etc.  Demo charges can also be used against vehicles.  

Now that's interesting.  Didn't know the difference.  Is that the same for all CM2 titles?  Thanks...!

2 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Now that's interesting.  Didn't know the difference.  Is that the same for all CM2 titles?  Thanks...!

In all titles breach charges can only be used for walls and buildings while demo charges can be used for that plus wire, bocage and tanks. However at this time there are no units in the WW2 titles that are equipped with breach charges (at least that I know of).

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Nope i know the difference.. demo charges / real engineers..

On 1/25/2017 at 0:34 PM, Muzzleflash1990 said:

I just tried repeatedly in the editor, and could not make it work when they were 2,5 tiles, 20m away. But when I placed them adjacent diagonally then engineers used their demo charges. At the same time I placed them diagonally, I also turned down the Abrams crew to bad motivation and green, so cannot for sure whether distance is the only factor, or crew proficiency matter.

IIRC close assault (use of grenades and satchel charges against AFVs) only occurs if the unit is in the same or an adjacent tile, but sometimes it can be carried out further away because the vehicle was moving when the close assault was initiated.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

However at this time there are no units in the WW2 titles that are equipped with breach charges (at least that I know of).

That's what I was going to say....Were breach charges of the type in BS even invented and issued prior to ~1970-1980? I'm sure that there were a host of field expedients cooked up that served the purpose, but I can't think of anything that was specifically designed and manufactured for that.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

That's what I was going to say....Were breach charges of the type in BS even invented and issued prior to ~1970-1980? I'm sure that there were a host of field expedients cooked up that served the purpose, but I can't think of anything that was specifically designed and manufactured for that.

Michael

Sort of, but improvised.  Look up "mouseholing charge."