Winter Mod Scenario Ideas for E4

kevinkin

Since you guys are chatting about Winter Mod scenarios, I thought I'd share one that I made.   I have most/all of the winter mods downloaded and it looks pretty cool with the mod, though if you don't have the winter mod it looks just fine as well.   But as the action took place in the winter, better feel to use the mod with the snow and whitewashed tanks etc.....

The Scenario is called "Nishne, Nyet!" and is an adaptation of an Advanced Squad Leader scenario of the same name.   It takes place in February 1943 and features the Germans attacking the town of Nishne-Gnilovskaya in order to eliminate the Russian bridgehead over the Don river to protect the escape route of Army Group Don.   

Myself and a friend have played it through once resulting in a draw and some refinements.  So consider this v 1.1 of the scenario.  Please note that it's a H2H scenario only as I don't have the strength to put in AI Plans and such and as I only play H2H, well, I have no interest in AI games.  ;-)  

I am new to the Combat Mission series, but since you all were chatting about scenarios using the (fantastic!) winter mod and engine 4, well, here you go.  Perhaps once finalized one of the more initiated can add AI to make it single player.    Hot off the presses and unapologetically bloody.   If anyone does play it, I'd be curious for feedback as I'm still refining it and have a few more test games lined up. 

You can download from the link below....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jg0s2ah1hsp1ujs/Nishne Nyet.btt?dl=0

Thanks for looking and pardon the interruption. ;-)

Best,

Matt

Nishnewinter1.jpg

Edited by Matt_P

Thanks for the post. I would be happy to add AI if you would like.

I was looking at the historical battle at Olshana (Hell's Gate page 107-113) There is a detailed description from the German POV. The map in the book is not too bad but a lot will need to be "designers licence". To speed things up, I may modify another map of mine to approximate the map in the book. Much of the fighting on the German side was by Wiking. If anyone can find a era map of the village, it would be great.

Thanks.

Kevin

Sure, go for it.    Will be curious to see what you do for the AI.  My guess is that it will be much better played as the AXIS against the AI as the scenario design is one where the Germans probably have to play well to win while the Russians have to setup well to win.   So if you can come up with a good setup, it could be a real challenge for the Germans.   The Germans are going to inflict more pain on the Russians than vice versa regardless, but can they take enough objectives without taking too many casualties is the challenge...?   And just so you know for AI Planning, in my HtH first test game, the Germans took the easternmost 4 objectives and the game was a draw.   So they probably have to take one of the 2 western ones to win.....

Edited by Matt_P

Well .. best not to discuss those things in the open forum so as to keep everything surprised to the players ... :D 

Might want to expand the battle space ... wink and a nod .. or contract it ,,, wink and a nod.

Appreciate the opportunity to work together.

Kevin

3 hours ago, Jorge MC said:

German Winter faces Wip test

only german faces..mod not finish made them only for the video I made long time ago, publish by request…..I made this faces to give the german a veteran worn-out tired look I use  some Umlaut eyes from hes staligrad faces mod

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4847

i74b50.jpg

One question, Jorge. I've installed your mod in my Z map, but it doesn't show up. Do I have to change the names of the files?

Edit: sorry, they do show up, just not with all soldiers.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One question, Jorge. I've installed your mod in my Z map, but it doesn't show up. Do I have to change the names of the files?

Edit: sorry, they do show up, just not with all soldiers.,

install it were your winter mod is

,,or delete the word (snow)

Edited by Jorge MC

Ok Guys. Looks like we settled on a Olschana (Hell's Gate pages 107-113.) Company (+) scale and about an hour of time. It's an interesting mix tactically. Supply troops and assault guns and tanks on slippery ground. Thrust and parry. The cross road was very important during the overall Korsun Pocket operation. If anyone has Soviet sources please PM. 

Thanks.

Kevin

On 29/01/2017 at 5:15 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Edit: sorry, they do show up, just not with all soldiers.

You've got to have the same number (or more?) of the mod tagged files than the non-mod tagged files to ensure they are all used. For instance if JorgeMC's has 8 faces with the modtag of [Snow], but you have 16 regular faces without a mod tag then only half of the pxiel truppen in game will use the modded faces. To get around it you could simply duplicate copies of Jorge's faces and number accordingly to equal the number of regular faces. Make sense?

I've bumped into the problem with uniform files in the past.

12 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

You've got to have the same number (or more?) of the mod tagged files than the non-mod tagged files to ensure they are all used. For instance if JorgeMC's has 8 faces with the modtag of [Snow], but you have 16 regular faces without a mod tag then only half of the pxiel truppen in game will use the modded faces. To get around it you could simply duplicate copies of Jorge's faces and number accordingly to equal the number of regular faces. Make sense?

I've bumped into the problem with uniform files in the past.

That does make sense, Ithikial_AU. Thanks!