Just popped in

gautrek

I just popped back in to have a look at this site after many moons away and I see some of the old names are still about.  Have I missed anything?

I see they have lots of games for sale now. Its a shame I lost interest after the Normandie game. As the fun seemed to go out of the game. I may need to take a lok again as I am getting the itch for a PBEM sesh with a mate.

gautrek,

Welcome back! May I ask what the the version number was for the CMBN you last played? The answer can translate into a stupendous difference in realism and playability. CMBN V 1.0 was a nightmarish experience for someone coming from CMx1, but that same game today is vastly better, in practically every aspect, including graphics, I'm one Upgrade behind, so mine is at 3.11, and the difference between what CMBN was when first released and what it is now is pretty much the difference between night and day. Am in  no way exaggerating. As you may recall, my computer is ancient (130+ in cyber years) late 2009 iMac Arlington (4 GB 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 256 GB Radeon 4670 video card), yet the upgrades have drastically improved visual appearance, improved game loading time, turn calculation speed and more. Game play is worlds better, too, for BFC has done myriad fixes and added loads of new capabilities via paid Upgrades. There's also the Vehicle Pack, which currently only CMBN has.

Given the above, might I encourage you to return to CMBN or embark on some other game which is to your liking? Believe you'll be glad you did!

Michael Emrys,

Am willing to bet, were you to say it in person, your answer to gautrek about the live sex show he missed would've been delivered deadpan. Your witty reply cracked me up--on a day in which I desperately needed a laugh. Many thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

8 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

...the upgrades have drastically improved visual appearance, improved game loading time, turn calculation speed and more.

In general very true. However, I have the strong impression that with the recent v4 upgrade loading times and turn calculation have slowed down again. Has anybody else noticed anything like this? If so, I would be interested to know the reason(s).

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Can't say, since I don't yet have it. I will say that 3.11 CMBN is way faster than 1.03 CMBN; that CMBS, in whatever the latest version is, is a slog, and that CMFB practically kills my computer to load it and that turn computation time with even as small a force as a handful of tanks in a Tiny QB, is ridiculously long. If 4.0 makes things worse, you may hear my lamentations and ululations clear to Seattle!

Regards,

John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

I will say that 3.11 CMBN is way faster than 1.03 CMBN;

Agreed. I wonder why FB plays so badly on your machine. I have a similar model with about the same specs. How much RAM do you have? I did have 16GB on my old machine, but this one only has 8GB and if that starts to get full, it can make anything drag. One thing that helps is to periodically clear the clutter. Before, I did that by restarting. Now I use a handy function of CleanMyMac3 that will free up 2 or 3GB nicely.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

A whopping 4 GB. Was going to go to 16, but after consulting with my Mac Power User friend, we decided over a year ago it was better not to plow additional money into an ancient machine which could die at any time. Little did I know then I'd still be waiting for funds to get a proper replacement!

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

Yesterday I did some research and calling around, incurring sticker shock when talking to an Apple certified Mac repair shop.  $263 to buy and install 16 GB of SDRAM! Instead, I called CRUCIAL.usual and with the knowledgeable assistance of their friendly tech sales guy, Josh, six years there and really on the ball, decided the best way forward was to order 2 x 4 GB DIMMs,which will bring me up to 12 GB of RAM (tripling what I have now) for ~$73.00, shipping included. Should have the order in five business days, and it shipped yesterday. The incremental cost to get to 16 GB would've slightly doubled that, since it would've meant scrapping the existing 2 x 2 GB DIMMs in order to clear two slots for the now needed 2 x 4 GB DIMMs. Who knows? With a lot more RAM, maybe my cyber fossil will behave more like it did before everything became so CPU intensive. Unfortunately, I can't do anything regarding graphics.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

John,

Although until the moment comes, I can't say for sure that the memory upgrade will have significant impact on how CM plays for you, I am guessing that it will run a lot smoother. I wouldn't expect anything much of a graphics improvement though. I have 8GB of RAM, and the game runs fine on my machine with Balanced settings, low Tree Detail and Shaders turned off. Really, the only thing that is different from when I had 16GB is that I have to have fewer apps running in the background.

Michael