Kiwi farmer has his own platoon of Matilda IIs!

After the war, there were hordes of unneeded tanks and no tractors, so farmers bought them for as little as 50 pounds each. These days, the former farm workhorse Matilda IIs the dad bought for $250 in 1972 is worth $300,000  NZ dollars each, roughly $210,00 USD. The sight gladdens my treadhead heart. Hope they eventually restore them. Wouldn't that be something?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

18 hours ago, JonS said:

Good to see your attention to accuracy and command of detail remains unparalleled.

LMAO. I was going to say go nice on John, @JonS , until I watched the video.

@John KettlerFYI New South Wales is actually a state of Australia... 

I think the Aussies on here won't appreciate being referred to as Kiwis....

Gentlemen,

Since it's clear I got my Southern Hemisphere geography all crossed up, I offer my profound apologies. Additionally, I think I got a bit carried away in the OP title. The reporter said he had his own tank platoon, but didn't specify the exact composition. Thus, he has his own tank platoon, of which one tank is a (very rare) Matilda II. Below is another article on the proud owner, together with some unusual pics of tanks as farm equipment and one tank being restored.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-19/tinkering-with-tanks-and-preserving-australian-farming-history/8017194

The acronym origin of the restoration group known as BATRAC is a hoot. Busted Arse Tank Repairs And Company.

Finally, I have to say that, compared to what this guy found in Australia, our scrap yards suck. Get a load of this.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

5 hours ago, John Kettler said:

...our scrap yards suck.

I don't know, that may be true now more or less, but 45 years ago I knew a young guy whose idea of a great way to spend his time was to go browsing through junk yards.

BTW, I personally have one example of WW II vintage tanks being repurposed. About 35 years ago I was out late one night just taking a walk and as I passed a filling station I noticed something peculiar about a mobile crane parked there. I paused and suddenly the picture came into focus, so I walked over to take a closer look and to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. Someone had taken a Sherman and removed everything above the level of the tracks and welded the crane onto it. It was a nicely done job and everything seemed to fit perfectly together, but I was puzzled exactly why it was done. There was nobody around at this time of night to ask, so I never found out any more about it, but the image of it sitting there has stuck in my brain ever since.

Michael