Recent combat vids from Ukraine

Haiduk,

The blasted Edit timer got me, so I'll try again. The soundtrack to that video you provided was the orchestral version of the powerful Adele hit "Rolling in the Deep," seen here with her in a cool video.

In the second video, the one with the hulking armored truck, other than seeing a few places shot up, I couldn't follow the action at all, a situation worsened by the camera guy not being with any actual visible shooters (other than the Dushka guy some distance away) to provide some frame of reference. The sunflowers were glorious, but the terrain is a tactical nightmare, with belts of woods and sunflowers separated by wide flat fields which would make great killing grounds. Would think you'd need lots of people and lots of fire support both direct and indirect to advance without getting chopped to pieces.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 25.08.2017 at 5:37 AM, John Kettler said:

Why are the trucks up there with the armor?

As I have seen that was a gathering point of all forces, surrounded near Ilovaisk. 24-25th Aug after Russian invasion to this town area have withdrew remains of Sector D troops with own supply units. Also HQ of Sector B was placed near Ilovaisk.

Also, do you have any idea what that explosion is at ~6:13. It's pretty low order, so am thinking more of a mine, say, than a shell or mortar bomb, especially since it's the only such event.

I read 26-27th in area of base camp were set several minefields by sappers of 91st engineer regiment. Very probably that "frendly mine". But I can't say on 100 % 

I was totally baffled by the almost zero (saw a BTR use the KPVT briefly) fire from all that armor. What a waste of combat power!  It may've been a really weird camera angle that explains it, but at ~13:02 I see what looks like a HIFV. 

I watched video again - there were several tank shots and 30 mm BMP bursts. But why column turned back, I can't say. I even don't know what episode on video and where it really filmed. I think, forward armored group can't uncover enemy positions and didn't risk to advance in order not to get RPG from ambush. Fighters on video tell each other that "enemy have a time to make strong fortifications". Looks like this was main cause of retreat. Of course, in CM usual player would consider that power of two tanks is enough to direct attack :)

On 13:02 usual tank, but his turret turned on 8 hours. Initially because of camera shake and smoke I thought this is BTS-4 mover armed with MG.

About terrain. Yes. Our colunmes drove on open space. Enemy have took positions aside in small villages and low heights. In some places enemy positions were in 100 m aside the road. The sunflower became as sorrow symbol of Ilovaisk massacre. In endless sunflower fields survived soldiers tried to find own salvation...  

Edited by Haiduk

• 8 months later...

Also known video filmed by DNR fighters. The late autumn of 2014, Donetsk airport. UKR tank drives on airport taxiway to the terminals and separs from "Somali" battalion, which have a position in fire department building, shoot in it with machineguns. Soon, the tank turns back and separs shot in it with WW2 AT-rifle. The tank on full speed shot back with a gun and hit in the roof. Looks like it hasn't HE and shot with HEAT - just only one separ was injured. This video has reduced sound volume.

Edited by Haiduk

• 3 months later...

On the Lostarmor was issued compiled video from GoPro camera of dead Ukrainian trooper of several 3 minutes parts. On the video filmed the combat task of the group of 16th motorized infantry battalion "Poltava" of 58th motorized infantry brigade at 23th Nov 2017 near Sentianivka settlement ("Bakhmutka road" sector). This task has been finished tragically - 4KIA, 2 WIA, 1 WIA/captured. Enemy hasn't losses. 

Officially said "about 7-30 of morning observers have spotted enemy recon group, which crossed the road and our forces were sent for interception. When they pursuited the enemy and crossed the road, they was ambushed, reserve group was sent to cut off enemy maneuver to outflank ambushed group, mortars supported. Enmy also moved reinforcements and used mortar support, the fighting has ended at the evening, our troops can evacuate one body and two injured. Two troopers could come back when night fell, one missed, bodies of three troopers taken by the enemy"

This video shows another picture. Untli 6:30 you can see like the group in 18-20 fighters gather itself and move to the road. Since 6:25 group commander makes short briefing from which we can know about the task:  to explode small old position beyond the road, saved from 2014-2015 years, which often used by LNR forces as forward observation position. For this task the group has taken AT-mines and the cable for remote blowing up. Commander ordered to divide on triplets. On 8:30 about half of group started to cross the road and with caution approach to the small knoll, with several trenches in front of it directly behind the road. Looks like in previous days this group already made recon and watching for this place and knew, when the enemy observers usualy left posititions, so they thought quickly to come here, to blow up and return back until new other enemy garrison will not come. But maybe their movements were unvealed and enemy prepare to their visit. They left position and hide on the knoll and around. Positions and terrain around were mined with MON-50 ("claymor" type mine) and with cassete minelayers PKM-1, which can instantly make minefields with small AP or AT mines by shooting  the cassete on 30-35 m and making ellipse-form minefield up to 20x10 m. Such devices are in service of enginer company and can be given to infantry for immediate minefield laying on threatened direction,  even in the view of enemy. Important detail - the operation was 23th Nov. About 21th the snow has fallen, which covered the mines.  

But turn to video. About three minutes soldiers watching and listening but not move. On right hand of operator acting other triplet. They set a charge on the roof of blindage and on 11:05 blow it up. Then operator moves there, dives into this hole and appeared oneself in the blindage. Then he walks in the trench. On 11:41 his camera show the cassete of PKM-1, sticking out the snow. But he possibly doesn't pay attention on it and walks farther. On 11:53 operator said to other trooper: "There is MON hangs on the tree! Here, <head turns to the knoll> on the bushes". Do you see? What me to do? Go left?" On 12:20 first shots heared. Looks like our soldeirs shelled just in case the bushes on the knoll. On 12:29 operator has spotted the cable, which possibly was for remote control of MON. He tries to cut it, but the cable too tough for the knife: "Bithch! I can't cut it off!", - he exclaims on 13:15. While he busy, the skirmish is started (or our tropers again just in case shelled the knoll). On 13:20 he cutted the cable at last: "Yes! I got it! I cut it off!". Group with operator with caution move in the trench farter and on 13:48 operator asked "Maybe let to f...k out the MON?" He takes own rifle and makes three shots in the mine. Near the knoll something exploded, but this looks like grenade from GP-25 or hand grenade. The operator approaches to the curve of the trench, look there and sharply step back (some say he have seen a movement there or even splash of the shot) and in this moment on 14:29 he steps on the mine. "I'm 300th!!! (I injured!)". Further pain shock forced him to utter only oscent words. His comrades tried to help him, but next 3 minutes of GoPro end itself. End of video.

What happened further? Two or three triplets turned out under fire on the minefield. Both comrades of operator scared to move in the trench and go up, when engage the enemy, which opened fire. But they can't to maneuver and were shot dead. Rest of group dispersed and run to the road, but three of them were wounded. No ideas what did the part of group, which possibly stayed for covering. Knowingly, that reinforcement arrived, but enemy MG, snipers and mortar fire didn't allow them to reach to the own comrades. During this rescue operation was killed forth ukrainian trooper. At the dusk the battle finished. Two soldiers were lucky and could to crawl throgh the mines on the other side of the road. On injured trooper layed in the trench and dig frozen soil toward the road, but strength left him and he was captured by enemy group.

Photo of bodies of Ukrainan troopers from LNR propaganda video. Under blue arrow you can see the cassete KSF-1 from remote minelaying system PKM-1

e09edd10d9efaa04bf3a0653d284297a74659eb6

The launcher and cassete of PKM-1 and how it works. One KSF-1 cassete contains 72 small AP mines PFM-1 or 64 PFM-1S

pkm-1-4.gif

pkm-1-5.gif

Edited by Haiduk

• 1 month later...

Not exactly combat video like infantry action, but just example of precision strike on the enemy position. This is strong enemy line in the south part of so-called "Kikimora" forest on Svitlodarsk bulge. Northern part is under UKR contol after heavy clashes in 2016. This enemy trench line is often fired by out troops. In this time, probably summer 2018, next strike was very accurate. You can see how UAV of aerial recon group K-2 of 54th mech.brigade makes targeting of enemy blindages among trench lines and 120 mm mortars strike enough accurate and with exellent grouping. Developed by civil volunteers and militaries "FBCB-like" system is using for targeting and data transmitting on mortar battery on PDAs via broadcast channels or via commercial satellite.

On 0:40 the enemy fighter tryes to shot down UAV with rifle, but missed. At the end of the video something starts to fire in the place of blindages. Enemy fighters don't keep too much personnel on forward positions, so significant losses are unlikely. But enemy sappers had many work after this strike.

The sound better to switch off - the same song is continuing during all video

Edited by Haiduk

• 5 months later...

Unsuccessful attempt of Ukrainian troops to counter attack of Vuhlehirsk town 31 Jan 2015 during battle for Debaltsevo. Recons of 73rd Maritaime special operations center told to the HQ that road is clear, but when about company size group of 30th mech.brigade and "Donbas" batatlion of National Guard had approached outskirts of Vuhlehirsk, it fell into ambush. Our group lost two tanks and two BMP, 5 KIA and 20 WIA and reterated.  The video shows the initial phase of this clash.

Other video filmed also during Debaltsevo battle, but from LNR forces side (recon group of "August" battalion, formed mostly with Russian volunteers). Interesting example of combat in destroyed village. Many "target area" fire. The action represents the probe of 7 Feb 2015 in Chornukhyne village. On this data the village already partially controlled by LNR-forces.

Edited by Haiduk

• 2 weeks later...

Several months ago Joint Forces Operation HQ changed own information policy. If recently they limited publications of videos with strikes on enemy positions, and most of videos were publishing via civil volunteers and soldiers, then now many of videos almost every day are officially posting through special account. Only on fifth year of the war or top brass at last understand important of such type of propaganda. 

For example,the video how 2-3 days ago 82 mm mortars hit LNR ammo truck near Zolote town. UAV is adjusting fire. MTLB, which stood near, moved back after the end of shelling, but new round impacted near and vehicle was sligtly damaged. Two fighters, which tried to save boxes with ammunition, probably got injuries or even were killed.

Edited by Haiduk

Haiduk,

Was that Kikimora forest shoot done with regular unguided shells and mortar bombs? If so, it's phenomenal shooting or tube artillery has far better accuracy than I ever imagined. In gunnery, what we saw is termed precision fire, and is typically performed by one gun, rather than volley fire. Now, maybe it's fortunate circumstance and the Gun Target Line happens to run on the long axis of the trench system, making things far easier, but that was demolition fire, conducted with very little ammo expenditure. Gobsmacked! Wish there had been some BDA closeups. The second shoot video would appear to indicate that the 82s, with UAV to observe, also have enormous accuracy.

Regards,

John Kettler

11 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Haiduk,

Was that Kikimora forest shoot done with regular unguided shells and mortar bombs?

Yes, usual ammunitions. UAV also successfully targets SPG-9 and AGS indirect fire. Of course, if UAV has targeting function and features of data transmiting on PDA with artillery soft. In other case UAV just observes battlefield and fire is adjusting "on eye", but this anyway better, than nothing.

Here February 2019 episode, "Azov" regiment hit enemy BMP in the trench with indirect SPG-9 fire, using UAV targeting 

And here also "Azov" strikes enemy positions with UAV targeting, looks like mortars used. The end of March 2019.

• 1 month later...

Destroying of two enemy BMP in trenches and mortar strike on the enemy position - Svitlodarsk bulge area, 7th of May. Such increadable accuracy of fire owing to not only PDA's for targeting, but also because senior battery officer (he calculates data for firing) has great expirience since 2014. Crack level.

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, ikalugin said:

I seem to recall that the artillery spotting software was compromised at some point and fed targets to the separatist counter battery fire?

That was fake news. I've posted about this two years ago, but already forgot where exactly. You can google it. 

Edited by Haiduk

Combat episodes of 46th special purpose battalion "Donbas-Ukraina" in Zaytseve area near Horlivka in May 2018. Enemy sniper shells position with large caliber rifle, ukrainians tryes to supress his position with DShK, other episode -  ukrainians under mortar shelling.

• 2 weeks later...