v4.0 Infantry movement and Mines

Has anyone played a game with infantry traversing marked minefields under v4.0? Does the new spacing mean they don't move in column, and thus make them more likely to set off a mine? I'm about to play the first scenario of the Hammer's Flank campaign and it would be useful to know going in whether I can count on marking minefields then traversing at "Move" speed.

I haven't tested this for spacing, but be aware that traversing a marked minefield at "Move" can still set off mines.

I generally use "hunt" (with a target arc set very small to avoid actually stopping and engaging) as I believe I've read that it makes soldiers more careful in the marked field.

Good question. It is not clear to me that mine fields actually track individual mines as much as entering one gives a chance of triggering one. We do know that the number of mines are tracked but I don't know that the exact locations are. If the exact locations are then your concern would be valid - better spacing means more mine casualties. But if mines are abstracted then it will make no difference.

I am not sure how to test this. Perhaps saved games with repeated minefield crossings would do it. Then you could look at the crater location and see if they were always in the same location.

I think the core question is how the new movement style relates to a mine clearance action spot.  (If I understand the game, a mine clearance flag indicates a single action spot's relative safety.)  Movement in that action spot offers much less of a chance of setting off a mine, while the mined spots to either side (or ahead), if any, use the uncleared chance.

In the past, a squad using the traditional ant-trail movement would all funnel through the mine-cleared action spot.  Now, the question is whether the same squad (which after 4.0 might normally move forward using two or three action spots abreast) will still funnel through a single cleared minefield action spot.  Do they do so?

Edited by Holman