dealing with a backlog of strategy games, help?

So I own all the major releases of cmx2, my steam library overflows with the total war franchise, graviteam, and at least a dozen other RTS and hex based war games, not even counting the more mainstream singleplayer RPGs and shooters I also own. I am trying to tackle the backlog so to speak, strategies are straightforward enough in a game with a linear story campaign, but with strategy, its difficult: They have such open ended replayability that I never even get around to finishing anything I start! I dont know at what point to consider myself "done" with a CM title before rotating to another one for a change of pace. Anyone have any strategies for dealing with this?

A strategy? Cool down and take it easy.

Do what you want, when you feel like it and as long as you like it. When you find something which is if special interest for you, dig in. If it is really important for you, you'll stick to it, if not you'll find something else soon.

The beauty of the hobby is the vast variety. You'll find games, portraying "sticks and stones" times and on the other extreme super ScFi stuff. You'll micro manage single man combat or manage grand grand scale interstellar exploration.

Why do you want to artificially restrict yourself?

If you really think restriction is necessary, try to find out what your favourite is at this time.

I've got games I bought over 30 years ago, that I haven't "finished" (and some that I haven't even "started!")

I recommend you just "go with the flow."  Play what you feel like playing. See if you already have something similar enough to scratch the itch caused by the new shiny toy wargame on the block. If not, go for it! (but never dump 'em... you may get hit with strong waves of nostalgia in the future!)

5 hours ago, -E said:

I've got games I bought over 30 years ago, that I haven't "finished" (and some that I haven't even "started!")

I recommend you just "go with the flow."  Play what you feel like playing. See if you already have something similar enough to scratch the itch caused by the new shiny toy wargame on the block. If not, go for it! (but never dump 'em... you may get hit with strong waves of nostalgia in the future!)

Yeah, that's the spirit!

I still have my 40 year old copy of AH's "Battle of the Bulge". THAT game started it all for me.

11 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

I still have my 40 year old copy of AH's "Battle of the Bulge".

If we are going to count paper games, I think the oldest one that I still have is a copy of Panzerblitz that I purchased in 1972. But I started buying and playing games much earlier with a copy of Stalingrad in 1964. Alas, I was compelled to give away about 150 games a decade or so ago because I had simply run out of room to store and play them. I do miss them sometimes. My advice is to hang onto your games if storage space is not a problem, for reasons of nostalgia if nothing else. Also, some of them my be of value to collectors down the road and you might even make a profit on them.

Michael

On 10.1.2017 at 9:53 AM, Michael Emrys said:

If we are going to count paper games, I think the oldest one that I still have is a copy of Panzerblitz that I purchased in 1972...

Interesting thought. Never came to my mind, that one should not count board games.

In fact, I got rid of most of my old computer games some three years ago, when we moved into a new appartment. Only kept very few, even C64 stuff, for nostalgic reasons.

Buy I still have most of the board games. The current count is just above hundred. Unfortunately, there were a few years when I followed a "Buy one, sell one" policy. That's when I lost my copy of "Sticks and Stones" and I still regret it.