CMRT Finnish Campaign: The Battle of Tali-Ihantala

Recently kohlenklau who is heading up the mod team of the Finnish Mod asked me to contribute a short campaign to go with the mod pack. Below are the details.

The Battle of Tali-Ihantala

The Battle of Tali-Ihantala is a CMRT Mini-Campaign depicting the actions of the Finnish IV Army Corps during June -July 1944 on the Karelian Isthmus. It was designed
originally with version 3 of CMRT but was finished with version 4. However none of the new features in version 4 were incorporated into this campaign. It should
play out fine in either version but let me know if problems arise.

As always let me know of any corrections or problems as the campaign has only been quick tested.

The battles depicted in this campaign, which is part of the Continuation War  had been going since 1941. It focuses mainly on the actions of Finnish 18th Division and
several supporting units. I tried to tag each unit with the correct Finnish abreviations as well as included the actual commanders but if any of our Finnish players
see anything totally screwed up let me know. Below is a listing of the core units:

Core Units:

1 P JR48 (1 Battalion Infantry Regiment 48) Eversti (Col.) Vaino Forsberg
2 P JR48 (2 Battalion Infantry Regiment 48)
2 P JR6 (2 Battalion Infantry Regiment 6)
2 P JR12 (2 Battalion Infantry Regiment 12) Eversti (Col.) Yrjo Hanste
3 P JR13 (3 Battlion Infantry Regiment 13) (Company of Swedish Volunteers)
1 Er.P 16 (Seperate Battalion 16)
3 Jaeger JP (Jaeger Battalion) Eversti (Col.) Albert Puroma
1 Er.Pion.K (Pioneer Battalion) Everstiluutnantti (Lt. Col.) Reino Inkinen
Panssaridivisoona ( 2 Rynnakkotykki Assault Gun Battalion) Kenraalimajuri (Maj. Gen.) Ruben Lagus
Sturm Brigade 303 (German Assault Gun Unit) Hauptman Friedrich Scherer
1/SG3 (Lufftwaffe)(Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey) Ju-87D Ground Attack Aircraft
1/SG5 (Lufftwaffe)(Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey) Fw-190F8 Ground Attack Aircraft

Soviet Forces:

45th Guards Rifle Division
63rd Guards Rifle Division
27th Tank Regiment
30th Armoured Brigade

Campaign Tree:

1. The Assault on Tali

2. Portinhoikka Crossroads

3. Counterattack at Tali

4. The Road Block at Ihantala

This campaign features the excellent Finnish Mod Pack designed by the team put together by kohlenklau and all credit goes to them. The mod pack is included
in the download. I added a Finnish Stug III mod to the pack to represent the Finnish armoured units. The mods are tagged for this specific cmapaign and should not interfere with any other campaigns or battles with the exception of the Finnish voice pack included in the mod folder. Remove this folder after playing or your German pixeltruppen may speak Finnish. :D

All the maps were hand created by me based on what information I could find and google maps. Hopefully they represent the battle locations reasonably accurate.

Also be sure to read the campaign designer notes as I have added some historical information about the battle.

Hope it proves enjoyable

Michael

Here is the link to the campaign. Just place the mod folder into the dataz folder in your CMRT directory and the .cam file into the campaign directory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9d5icpdod3r0vs/The Battle of Tali Ihantala.zip?dl=0

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I might be wrong, but I suspect that if the campaign was finished off using Engine 4 then it won't be playable for people still running Engine 3.

My initial tests after I compiled the campaign seemed to work ok but let me know if there are any issues.

I'm in the middle of the first battle.  It's action-packed and I'm loving it!  I split and dispersed most of the squads in the two forward trench lines, put some to the rearward of the trenches, because I figured the pesky Russkies would have some heavy arty to soften me up, and I was right!  The one panzerschreck team in that short trench to the Northwest (?...I'm not near my comp atm) I moved laterally to the longer trench and it took out two T34s trying to move down the far left road in one turn.  Fun stuff, and what a great map! Superb job, as always, Michael!

Kudos to all the mods too, and to Kohlenklau for wrangling all you guys together to give us the Finns!

Another fantastic campaign @dragonwynn! I'm currently on the 3rd mission but I haven't started it yet.

The first and second missions were very good. The first was a huge intense battle that became a real nail biter towards the end, and the second was a very nice company(ish) sized action meeting engagement that I found to be a lot of fun. Looking forward to completing this mini campaign. Real great stuff!

One thing I particularly like is the forces for both sides feel realistic. For example, in the first mission the Finns have some artillery, but it is very hard to bring to bear due to the terrain. The Soviets bring along their standards, lots of infantry and armor, artillery support and even some air support. I don't like scenarios that purposely handicap the player by giving him tiny amounts of forces/fire support for the battle at hand. While playing these scenarios I never felt like I was being short handed by the designer, that I had all of the assets on hand that would be both plausible and capable of completing the mission. The rest comes down to me and how I command the battle. 

One thing I thought I would point out; the Soviet artillery in the first mission (the initial barrage) goes for a very long time. So long in fact that it ended up doing more damage to the Soviets than it did to my Finns. Not sure if this was a hiccup or not, but I thought I would point it out to you and let you know in case it does need tweaking. Either way it was a very minor thing.

Thanks again for a great (mini) campaign and to @kohlenklau for helping to put this whole Finn mod together!

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

One thing I thought I would point out; the Soviet artillery in the first mission (the initial barrage) goes for a very long time. So long in fact that it ended up doing more damage to the Soviets than it did to my Finns. Not sure if this was a hiccup or not, but I thought I would point it out to you and let you know in case it does need tweaking. Either way it was a very minor thing.

Yea I was afraid that might happen. I will look at the timing of the Soviet arrival. In my tests one time they ran into their barrage a bit but the second test they were able to stay clear. Guess V 4. makes them to eager....<_<

4 hours ago, Annddy said:

Yep, it doesnt work with Engine 3. Too bad Id really would like to play this campaign and give my Finnish regards

Bummer Annddy. Maybe you can upgrade to V.4 and play it then. I was trying to finish it before the update but RL interfered. I finished it in V.4 to make sure it would play correctly since most players would be up grading.

Actually bought the upgrade, what Ive seen I enjoy it so far. Only thing I dont really like is those swatastikas and decals on helmets since that really didnt happen, LMG groups were attached to the Infantry squad before continuation war so there would 1 less rifleman. Obviusly these arent really Campaign designer problems, just putting them out there... Enjoying the first mission.

3 hours ago, Annddy said:

Actually bought the upgrade, what Ive seen I enjoy it so far. Only thing I dont really like is those swatastikas and decals on helmets since that really didnt happen, LMG groups were attached to the Infantry squad before continuation war so there would 1 less rifleman. Obviusly these arent really Campaign designer problems, just putting them out there... Enjoying the first mission.

Thanks for the input Annddy. Since the mod team did most of the graphic design work (except for the Fin Stuggs which I did) maybe you could post on the Fin Mod thread about that. I may look at adjusting the OOB a little whn I get time. I added some additional assets since at the start of the battle because many of the Fin units were in a retreat mode and were using whatever was available to make a defensive effort. Tried to make it as realistic as possible based on what research I could find. Glad you are enjoying it.

Michael

Very much so, yep Ive been replying to that thread earlier and maybe it belongs there anyhow, FO positions are kinda odd for me at the start in the 1st mission. If I recall correctly in the battle of VKT line they had pretty much got some defense, but the positions were unprepared in sense what was coming ahead... Troops were exhausted, but anyway the communication lines would have been done and some possible TRP's, I have picture somewhere taken from museum of the FO's map which shows the TRPs they had targeted, cant find it now. Still the time to call arty is pretty accurate since the russian heavy barrages usually cut the phonelines to the battery anyway and you had to relay on other means.

• 1 month later...
On 30.12.2016 at 7:12 PM, dragonwynn said:

Hope it proves enjoyable

Michael

Here is the link to the campaign. Just place the mod folder into the dataz folder in your CMRT directory and the .cam file into the campaign directory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9d5icpdod3r0vs/The Battle of Tali Ihantala.zip?dl=0

Oooos, why do I stumble across this only now? Thanks guys! Great effort!

Interesting topic, indeed.

Especially, since I watched the Finnish movie about the batle only very recently.

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Just making sure folks can see this great campaign by @dragonwynn that HAS the original summer uniforms CMRT Finn Mod packed with it. The download link is at the top and still works.

Thanks @kohlenklau, just downloaded as I was not around in those days 😔.  And of course thanks to @dragonwynn.