new muzzle effects and tracers

Hilts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Vein said:

Tracer and muzzle flashes updated in my Special Effects mod.

This is option C only (in case you downloaded from the old repository instead of from my dropbox). These are the only ones there will be.

If the link has a daily download limit you'll just have to wait for it to refresh. If it goes dead for any reason just drop me a PM. I have only tested red and green tracers so let me know if the white ones come out rainbow coloured or somesuch foolery.

Enjoy (updated link):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q262mctll7m4osy/Veins CMBS special effects.rar?dl=0

CM Black Sea 2016-12-30 15-56-51-96.jpg

Ok, Vein, I downloaded your 'Special Effects Mod' in my CMBN Z Folder, and everything seems to working Great...except, when I dropped in two colors (Red & Green) in the Tracer Folder (took out the rest) the Germs seem to be still yellow\white but with a long narrow tracer, and U.S. shows in Red with short thick Tracer (this goes for both Gun & Small Arms).

It seems that the German color is having an issue (It's not green, and maybe too long, thou thickness looks good).

On 1/11/2017 at 1:17 AM, LukeFF said:

Every time one says the tracers look like laser beams, it makes me wonder if they've ever actually seen tracers in reality.

I haven't seen them in real life. But I'm curious if the tracer is visible from all directions, or only from the back? I suppose the burning phosphor would only be visible to the shooter, not to guys standing off the side of the fire lane, or enemies seeing the shots come towards them.

16 hours ago, mjkerner said:

The Germans use the yellow/white, the Russians use green, US red.  I assume it's coded that way in the game regardless of what color you put in your BN or RT mod folders.

Ok, and thanks, mjkerner, as that explains it then :-)

11 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Ok, interesting. Always just assumed the burning bit was recessed a bit into the bullet, shielding the light so as to not give the position of the shooter away.

What you are forgetting is that the tracer leaves a smoke trail. Depending on wind conditions and lighting, this may remain visible for a few seconds up to a minute or more. With that in mind, CM's tracers are actually rather modest.

Michael

True, the present tracers and smoke are not as impressive as Vein's or Aris's mods, but the recent improvements are definitely MUCH better than the way the stock has looked in all previous builds. I also, like the variety of colors available now. All and all welcome additions and improvements to the stock game enough that I have been using the stock and not minding them. Really thought the old yellow tracers were an eye sore, so glad to see them changed in this right direction.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:08 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Ok, interesting. Always just assumed the burning bit was recessed a bit into the bullet, shielding the light so as to not give the position of the shooter away.

The purpose of a tracer is to allow the shooter to see where his rounds are going and adjust visually until he is on target. There is a mantra in the Army that simply goes, "Tracers work both ways." Meaning that just as the shooter can guide his rounds on target using his tracers, the bad guys can then follow the tracers back to the firing point and shoot at him. Tracers are very much visible from essentially all angles, and do look a lot like Star Wars lasers. In fact there are a number or accounts of firefights during the Gulf War where veterans claimed it was just like a Star Wars movie. 

This video is at night, but tracers are still plenty visible during the day. You'll notice that they do in fact look like lasers. 

I think the stock tracer effects in V4.0 are pretty good as they are. 

8 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Tracers are very much visible from essentially all angles, and do look a lot like Star Wars lasers. In fact there are a number or accounts of firefights during the Gulf War where veterans claimed it was just like a Star Wars movie. 

I think that goes the other way as well. I firmly believe that George Lucas grew up watching the same documentary footage that post-WW II and post-Korea flooded tv as I did and deliberately sought to re-create the same look and sounds in his films. At any rate, it didn't seem to me that his effects represented what battle in space would be actually like.

Michael