new muzzle effects and tracers

Hilts

1 hour ago, Hilts said:

No, the problem is that for some inexplicable reason Battlefront decided to make every small arm round fired, a tracer. There was no problem before that!

Just to be clear that has not changed in the v4 engine. From the beginning all rounds have been tracers. Or at least that is how it is supposed to be.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vein said:

It seems I had TWO special effects mods: one for ww2, and one for modern. I had changed one and gave the link for the other. Doh.

Link updated above.

That's better! All is well now....... many thanks for your great work Vein.

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but are you saying:

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:03 PM, IanL said:

The red tracers look like they did before but now other nations have a different colour.

Each nation now has separate tracer colors? So we can have green, and red, and purple, and whatnot all showing up in the same battle now?

EDIT: Finished the thread, and I think this is the best Christmas Present ever. Now I need to figure out how to get the maximum amount of colors all in one battle. For science.

Edited by SLIM

12 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

True, but it was a useful piece of work anyway that sent a message to Europe's crowned heads that they should watch their step henceforth. Regrettably, it was a message they were reluctant to hear, so the point had to be driven home more forcefully in France a century or so later. That in turn led to all that inconvenient nonsense around that upstart Napoleon and it would be decades before anyone could get a decent night's rest.

Michael

Hahahahaa... Great stuff.

I have to admit that the red tracers came as a bit of a shock when I first saw them. But they have rapidly grown on me. I particular enjoy the missions where the Germans are making use of captured US gear so that some of your men are firing off different coloured tracers to their regularly equipped colleagues.

On 12/29/2016 at 5:51 PM, Hilts said:

Well I've just found out that you can identify the exact building and floor a sniper is located simply by following the tracer line. That can't be right, can it?

It is. The mantra in the Army about tracers is that "they work both ways." Their purpose is to allow the shooter to see where his rounds are going. The enemy can use them to see where they are coming from. Being zeroed in on by the enemy following your tracers is very real. 

However units such as snipers and the like, as well as most regular riflemen do not fire tracer rounds due to this reason and others. So you may have a point that it is easier for the human player to zero in on where enemy fire is coming from by following the tracer, but I do not think the game engine models the soldiers spotting the tracers. I believe it is a combination of other factors, such as sound and muzzle blast.

Basically, the tracers are necessary to allow the player to see who is shooting and at what. Without them it would be rather difficult to follow firefights. I would chalk it up as being a very minor necessary evil. Besides, I don't mind the tracer fire, and I really like all of the new effects. In the modern titles especially firefights look much cooler and more modern, with the green and red tracers flying everywhere. 

By the way the muzzle flash is now made up of several .bmp files. I made a mixture/combo version that I think works pretty good. It's vanilla, Aris and Vein all combined. Since it's not original I won't put it on GAJ but here it is if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ro36o391b3up6w/muzzle_flash.rar

Edited by AstroCat

I also made a super combo explosion as well here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ykb10i301oo7e4c/explosions_B.rar

It's Vein, Aris, maybe some other textures, and my original photoshop work combined. I've made a few versions but this is the one I'm using the most.

Again, since it's not all original I won't put it on GAJ but here it is if anyone wants to take a look. If Aris or Vein don't want me to post my mashup tweaked versions I'll remove the links right away, of course!

Edited by AstroCat

50 minutes ago, user1000 said:

Guys tracers would be every other shot or every couple of shots at least, these are not tracers. Regular shells. I think they did it so you can see where shots are coming from, in a game aspect

Yes User, we know that but some of us don't like the laser beam effect this produces. Vein's excellent mod appears to make the "tracers" every second or third shot, which in turn makes the whole thing look far more realistic. Particularly HMG fire.