Separatist push/Ukraine shove back

Kinophile

• 1 year later...

16th March SMM OSCE UAV spotted Russian EW systems R-330Zh ("Zhytel") and newest "Tirada-2", which only in this year will go into service, but already succsessfully taken from "coal mine" on Donbas.

R-330Zh is further Russian upgrading of Soviet EW R-330 systems family. It allow to conduct SIGINT tasks in the range 100...2000 Mhz and to supress INMARSAT, Iridium, NAVSTAR land and aerial equipment as well as to supress GSM signal.

"Tirada-2" is newest satellite jamming system, which can nott only supress satellite channels, but even to hit the satellite with strong impulse. Possible cause of it appearence on Donbas - tests of the system against US RQ-4 drones, which fly along frontline each week or trying to wipe out satellite channels, which use Ukrainian crowdfund-made analog of FBCB system for fast artillery targeting, which uses Chinese commercial satellite for data exchange. 

Russian EW equipment was spotted near the village Pivdenna Lomuvatka of Luhansk region. According to SMM OSCE reports stations crossed the border and appeared in Luhansk asa far as 3rd of February.

D3OVVa4WkAAwAy1.jpg

R-330Zh still on own positions near Pivdenna Lomuvatka and some northen near Hlubokyi settlement in 15 km from frontline, where Ukrainian UAV have spotted it:

D24o_cvWsAAuJa0.jpg

And according of LNR sourses "27th of March at 8:00 of morning 17 152 mm shells impacted near Hlybokyi from Troitske direction". Ukrainain JOF HQ since two days claimed R-330Zh was destroyed:

D24o_I_XQAAfGUX.jpg

Edited by Haiduk

4 hours ago, DMS said:

So, OSCE spots for loyalist artillery? So nice. And VSU is not afraid that they openly break agreements.

OSCE spotted it on 16th March. The strike was conducted on 27th of March. Who care that Russians almost didn't change positions (ok, moved on 8 km northern) for that time? Both sides uses heavy arty and mortars - this is not secret for OSCE, they  point all facts in own reports. Diplomats and politics lives in own world, military - in own. The war is going on. Our HQ officially will say "enemy got return fire with allow weapon systems". You wanted hybrid war, so take it. 

Edited by Haiduk

6 hours ago, DMS said:

So, OSCE spots for loyalist artillery? So nice. And VSU is not afraid that they openly break agreements.

Sorry - what? More evidence that the Russian army is operating inside Ukrainian territory (otherwise known as an invasion) has been found. Your response to that is to accuse a body that is monitoring those actions as being biased. Your assertion would be funny if the whole situation wasn't so tragic.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Sorry - what? More evidence that the Russian army is operating inside Ukrainian territory (otherwise known as an invasion) has been found. Your response to that is to accuse a body that is monitoring those actions as being biased. Your assertion would be funny if the whole situation wasn't so tragic.

You say this like invading to defeat nationalists is something bad. Unfortunately, Russian government politics is dubious: to save rebel republics and to keep relatively good relations to West.

9 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Both sides uses heavy arty and mortars - this is not secret for OSCE, they  point all facts in own reports.

>100mm weapons are prohibited by Minsk agreements... But as Russian BTGs don't threaten to surround VSU units, who cares...

Yeah but is it though? Feels more like an excuse to accomplish other goals. Not all opinions are equal, not all perspectives are equally valid. Facts actually still do matter and dismissing them and covering them up with your own "perspective" is not something that we should just be letting go.

From my perspective that car you don't use every day sitting in your drive way is a waste of resources. I need a car more more often than you so from my perspective it is OK for me to just take it whenever I want it. Its all a matter of perspectives, I guess :D

Russia definitely has ulterior motives in Ukraine. The Donbass has been so extensive that rebuilding/integrating it into Russia would be a huge economic drain on Russia. If they really wanted to "protect" Russians in other post-soviet states, they would commit enough troops to the intervention to easily steamroll the Ukrainian military, "liberating" any regions with a significant Russian population. Let's face it, the west wouldn't do much to stop it  

In all likelihood, Russia is just trying to keep Ukraine from joining NATO or the EU. Although both have been open to adding Ukraine to their respective blocs in the past, neither would consider adding s country in the middle of a full-blown war. Keeping NATO away from their borders has been one of their main geopolitical priorities during the 21st century. 

31 minutes ago, evilman222 said:

Russia definitely has ulterior motives in Ukraine.

I don't think Russia are alone in that.  ;)

32 minutes ago, evilman222 said:

Russia is just trying to keep Ukraine from joining NATO or the EU.

This.

Or to put it another way Russia is attempting to make the US & NATO live up to the promises they made in the 90s.

I swear you show up on every damn thread on these forums Squarehead haha

23 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Or to put it another way Russia is attempting to make the US & NATO live up to the promises they made in the 90s.

They weren't promises as much as they were agreements to stay back as long as Russia behaved themselves. They did for most of the 90s, but around 2002ish they started getting belligerent again, voiding the unofficial agreements. 

5 minutes ago, evilman222 said:

They weren't promises as much as they were agreements to stay back as long as Russia behaved themselves. They did for most of the 90s, but around 2002ish they started getting belligerent again, voiding the unofficial agreements.

Once again that might be considered a matter of perspective.....People in glass houses & all that.  ;)

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Once again that might be considered a matter of perspective.....People in glass houses & all that.  ;)

Again some perspectives are BS and or intentionally engineered as an excuse. NATO expansion was driven by the requests of the added countries. Why, because from thier perspective Russia was a dangerous neighbour that was acting against them. I don't think it matters at all if the aggressor cooks up some whoa is me sob story - from thier perspective.

44 minutes ago, IanL said:

I don't think it matters at all if the aggressor cooks up some whoa is me sob story - from thier perspective.

I could get very deeply into the realms of 'whataboutism' (or moral equivalence as grown ups might call it) with that statement right there.  :lol:

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, DMS said:

>100mm weapons are prohibited by Minsk agreements... But as Russian BTGs don't threaten to surround VSU units, who cares...

you've been down this road before. I know folks want an update from Steve about the patch but in all likelihood comments like yours will draw his attention sooner.  He has a low tolerance for Russian whataboutism and excuses for their intervention in Ukraine.  One way or another this thread will head to being closed.  Haiduk posted a factual comment on Russian equipment showing up in Ukraine that is not supposed to be there and it getting possibly hit by an arty strike.  That isn't an  opinion just a statement of events.  Going off on a tangent argument again by both sides as to the politics of being there isn't going to last very long.  Just sayin.

On 4/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, sburke said:

you've been down this road before. I know folks want an update from Steve about the patch but in all likelihood comments like yours will draw his attention sooner.  He has a low tolerance for Russian whataboutism and excuses for their intervention in Ukraine.  One way or another this thread will head to being closed.  Haiduk posted a factual comment on Russian equipment showing up in Ukraine that is not supposed to be there and it getting possibly hit by an arty strike.  That isn't an  opinion just a statement of events.  Going off on a tangent argument again by both sides as to the politics of being there isn't going to last very long.  Just sayin.

This is so stupid that I am not sure - are you trolling me or your avatar had affected your personality.

32 minutes ago, DMS said:

This is so stupid that I am not sure - are you trolling me or your avatar had affected your personality.

Local admin has an agenda to challenge -Russian narratives- and a strong confirmation bias.
If you want to discuss the politics behind this crisis you should consider doing it elsewhere, especially if your position is not pro-Kiev.

Edited by ikalugin

6 hours ago, ikalugin said:

Local admin has an agenda to challenge -Russian narratives- and a strong confirmation bias.

Local admin has an agenda to challenge -Russian distortion of the truth- and a strong dislike for misinformation left unchallenged.

There fixed that for ya.

If you want to discuss the politics behind this crisis you should consider doing it elsewhere,

Yep.

especially if your position is not pro-Kiev.

yeah that's not it. The presentation of facts and actual information is welcome. It is the BS that is not welcome.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:48 AM, IanL said:

It is. And invading to prevent the self determination of your neighbours, which is what is really going on, is bad too.

Seems like Ukrainians are kind of tired of this stupid mantras. The guy who used to tell them all the time won just two Westernmost regions despite being the current president of Ukraine.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:48 AM, IanL said:

It is. And invading to prevent the self determination of your neighbours, which is what is really going on, is bad too.

And tell this to Mr. Bolton who's regular business of everyday is to go on TV and threaten an imminent invasion of yet another country the followers of US exceptionalism believe are not sufficiently in line.