After installing the 3.11 patch, trying to start the game brings up an Activation box. That's where I get the message to type in the Key where 3.0 is NOT mentioned, which made me think it wanted my original CMBN key, which didn't work either.

There -are- Activation icons on the desktop after installing the patch, but selecting either of those or simply trying to start the game requires Activation.

UPDATE!!!

Just wanted to let the community know that the Battlefront Helpdesk request resulted in me being told that during moving some data around, a bunch of old mail-order keys were lost. After mine (the ORIGINAL pre-order key for CMBN) was re-entered into the system, I was able to use that to validate the 3.11/3.12 patches.

I'm having issues with the upgrade as well.

Literally 5 days before the 4.0 upgrade came out, I ordered the 3.0 all-in-one upgrade cd by mail   :(   ( I would have ordered the 3.0/4.0 bundle thing instead)

I received it (after 8 days.  so much for 3-day priority), and am attempting to install in on a brand new system.

I install it, then I install my 1.x version of CW and MG.  When I attempt to activate, it asks for my 2.0 key, instead of the 3.0 key.  Unfortunately I have lost/misplaced my 2.0 key ( I haven't needed it since original install 4 years ago, and I've moved several times since then.  I have all the other keys though).

What is the exact order to install and activate?  Do I need that 2.0 key even with the 3.0 all-in-one?  My copies of CW and MG are all pre v2.0

I don't think that the '3.0 Upgrade all-in-one installer' is available via CD/DVD (that installer is 9.9GB in size, which is larger than a single DVD could hold). Did you order the 'CM Battle for Normandy BIG BUNDLE' which includes CMBN, Commonwealth module, Market Garden module, 2.0 Upgrade, 3.0 Upgrade and the Vehicle Pack (about US$105) ? 

Here are the instructions for installing CMBN without the 9.9GB all-in-one installer

Not included in these instructions are the Battle Pack (a separate purchase) and the 3.12 patch.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

2 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I don't think that the '3.0 Upgrade all-in-one installer' is available via CD/DVD (that installer is 9.9GB in size, which is larger than a single DVD could hold).

Actually... it "Was" available via CD/DVD thru the mail at the time, then that option got removed after 4.0 came out on Xmas eve ( I was going to order it for a friend, then found out the option was no longer available).  I spent $5 for mail only CD/DVD delivery.

The installer on the CD IS 9.9gb compressed. Pop-up instructions tell you to extract the files to a folder first, THEN install.  The CD I received has CMBN brz files to 3.11.

The CD also contains CW brz up to 2.0, and MG brz up to 2.1.  And a Vehicle brz up to 3.1.

However I did not purchase the vehicle pack.

I am "assuming" I got the 3.0 all-in-one.  So I have had some confusion.  When the CD arrived, the sleeve and CD look1s just like the original CMBN ones, not like the CD I received for v2.0 (which states 2.0 on it).

Edited by Ellros

If your DVD actually has the 9.9GB (extracted) all-in-one installer, then you DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE (with the exception of the Battle Pack, 3.12 patch and the 4.0 Upgrade). DO NOT install your other modules/patches/upgrades over what is installed with this installer. Once this is installed you have the base game, Commonwealth module, Market Garden module, 2.0 Upgrade, 3.0 Upgrade and Vehicle Pack already installed (and all patches up to 3.11). With the all-in-one package installed you should only need to activate the license keys for each product. Initially you activate with the 3.0 Upgrade license key. The you launch the 'Activate Modules' shortcut and activate the Commonwealth module (providing that license key), relaunch the shortcut and put in the license key for the Market Garden module. When you launch the game you should have access to the base game, Commonwealth module and Market Garden module (though there are files for the Vehicle Pack present too; you can't really use that content until you purchase/activate it). After this you can install the 3.12 patch and then the 4.0 Upgrade when you purchase it.

Alright,  next (or new issue)...

After installing the all-in-one...  when starting the game, it does NOT ask for the 3.0 activation key.  Base game functions as if already activated (ie can go ahead and play original CMBN games).  When launching the "activate modules" shortcut, it then asks for the key for CMBN.  It does not accept the 3.0 key (says bad serial #), or the original v1 key (says bad format).

I have also seen posts saying install the 3.12 patch before activating any modules.  Which is correct?

Also...  when trying out just the base game, I am getting the error of unit names and such having names from CMSF, etc (ie the modern units).

What am I doing wrong with the install   :(

Edited by Ellros

You can activate BEFORE installing the 3.12 patch or after. There is no requirement either way. The 3.12 patch MIGHT show the correct information in the activation boxes though.

I can only assume that the 3.0 Upgrade got activated at some earlier point on this computer. If not, then you might get an activation dialog box at some point in the future. With the 'activate modules' shortcut you need to provide license keys for the MODULES (not the base game or 3.0 Upgrade). Unfortunately the text strings in the activated boxes will all say 'CMBN 3.0'. I think with the 3.12 patch or when the Vehicle Pack is activated it actually lists the correct activated products in those boxes.

So launch the 'activate modules' shortcut and provide the license key for the Commonwealth module and click the 'activate' button. It should hopefully say success and show you the activated modules boxes (which will not be correct unfortunately). If you launch CMBN it should now have the Commonwealth module (icon of a Cromwell tank). Launching the 'activate modules' shortcut again you can provide the Market Garden license key and again click 'activate'. If this is successful you should now see the Market Garden icon of a parachute on the bottom of the CMBN main screen.

4 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

So launch the 'activate modules' shortcut and provide the license key for the Commonwealth module and click the 'activate' button. It should hopefully say success and show you the activated modules boxes (which will not be correct unfortunately).

I actually did try that, and got an error message (bad serial #). For both modules   :(

I did activate 3.0 during an earlier attempt at installation. It's the modules that are giving me trouble now.  That and the modern unit nomenclature in the unit names.

If you're getting 'modern nomenclature' for units, then something is wrong with your install (a mod is installed or some other file is missing or possibly present that shouldn't be). I suggest backing up whatever you in your current installation (non-standard scenarios, campaigns, saved games, mods, etc.) and then completely DELETE the CMBN installation. Make sure nothing is left. Now re-install the CMBN 3.0 Upgrade all-in-one installer. Make sure that the installer is in a directory that the game will NOT be installing to. When you launch CMBN it should come up as you've seen before (no license request).

The 'activate modules' shortcut should recognize your module license keys and activate them properly (though it may not give you the correct resulting 'box' until the 3.12 patch). If you continue to get the 'bad serial #' error, contact the Helpdesk and provide the license keys that you're using. It is possible that something snafu'd recently (as it did for 'joeperez' above in this thread). Do make sure that your license keys are 32 characters long (if download) or possibly 16 characters long (without dashes, though dashes should be present when attempting to activate) if a 'hard good'.

Thank you for all the assistance Schrullenhaft.  I will give it a try.  The CMBN, CW, and MG CD's are all v1 (and 2-4 years old), so it's possible a key got snafu'd.

I have installed/uninstalled several times now.  It's a brand new PC, so nothing additional should be present yet.

LOL,  V2 install wasn't near this tough.  ;)

I did notice that AVG sees any CM exe file as a virus, so I made exceptions in AVG for that.  But could that still be a reason it's giving me trouble?   (First time using AVG as it was pre-installed before I got the rig)    If so, I can get rid of AVG and got to something else.

EDIT...  got rid of everything I could find, and tried again.... same results.  Something is missing because I still get the "no activation key", and modern nomenclature.

Edited by Ellros

The MG module is actually version 2.0 of the game engine (with the previous non-all-in-one install you would have to install the 2.0 Upgrade before the MG module). The recent snafu'ing of license keys is not a common occurrence for Battlefront, so I don't know what happened exactly, but it is worth checking out with the Helpdesk if you're getting invalid serial number errors trying to activate.

Definitely make sure that where the installer is at is NOT where the game will finally install to. Patches installed this way tend to mess up and I assume something could happen for the all-in-one installer too if that were the case. The problem you describe with the modern nomenclature for units suggests that either a mod was present or something went wrong with some of the .brz data files.

AVG and several other security programs typically attempt to quarantine some of the CM executables (this happens often for the Commonwealth module), so setting exceptions for it is often necessary (and/or the directories that the game installs into). I've had fairly good luck with Avast, but there's always the possibility that some future signature update decides that the executables are infected.

Still having same results.  Have made all exceptions with AVG, so don't think that's the issue.

Installer is extracted into a temp download folder on my SSD.  CM is being installed on the hard drive.

I'm guessing I'm missing a brz file somewhere, or one is corrupted, but I have no idea which one.  I'll try the Helpdesk option for the CW/MG keys.  But I want to figure out the no key and modern nomenclature issue with the base game first.

edit...   the only difference I can find between files on CD and extracted files is a size difference in the following files ...  Normandy brz's  211, 212, 220, 310 vehicle pack, 310, 311.   All are 679kb extracted, but all but the 212 are considerably larger on the CD in the non-compressed file size column  (212 is actually smaller on the CD non-extracted).

Edited by Ellros

Hopefully this screenshot is legible with the file sizes for the CMBN data files. If your files are significantly different then I would assume something is wrong. This installation utilized the 9.9GB download all-in-one installer, the Battle Pack and the 3.12 patch:

cmbn-data-files.jpg

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Yeah, it would appear the files I mentioned in the last post are not extracting/decompressing. In the installed game they are still saying 679kb.   I'll keep trying this evening, and submit a Helpdesk ticket if I can't get it worked out.  Possibly a bad disc or bad files perhaps?

edit...  there is a helpdesk faq that mentions occasional extraction issues with windows.  I'll try that workaround and see if that works.

edit 2...   Helpdesk faq workaround did work for decompressing the files.  CMBN works normally (no modern nomenclature).  However the keys for CW and MG still do not work.  I'll submit a Helpdesk ticket for that issue.

Thanks for the help Schrullenhaft!

Edited by Ellros