Road to Odessa DAR

HerrTom

0819 - 2nd company arrives!

But before that...

mjUIVwC.png

The surviving BMP-2 gets nailed by a Russian 30mm cannon.  1st company has been essentially annihilated at this point.  An ATGM team from the battalion AT company and approximately twenty men are all that are left at this point.  Plus an FO team and a forward observation vehicle that is too scared to move from behind the building he's hiding behind.  He's for sure going to get caught in the Russian assault on Pryvitnoe and cease to be an asset.

lDtcCbl.png

The ATGM team in the town takes revenge on the offending Russian BMP.  The shot lands straight on the top deck of the vehicle and knocks out its turret.

2KkyCad.png

Another Russian vehicle fires into the abandoned BMP-2.  Gotta make sure it's dead, I guess.  Especially after the losses this pair inflicted on the Russians!

dmt0tZ5.png

The ATGM team again takes revenge on the bold Russian vehicle...

iNsD5PK.png

The ammo rack detonates, killing all aboard.

jBSNqK8.png

I'm also getting reports of a Russian traffic jam attempting to cross the bridge.  My FO reports that artillery called on the bridge is already in the air.  This will be interesting.  While the other battery cools down, I order the 82mm mortars that arrived with second company to shell the ford.

ltR0YjU.png

As the action for this minute ends - 2nd company arrives, though not where I expected them!  The damned commander took his main formation down the highway, while his command element screened to the west.

FdNzpu4.png

At least a Russian platoon is already on the outskirts of Pryvitnoe.  The sound of mines detonating across the canal indicates that the (last seen) company there is on its way across, as well.  I don't have high hopes for the depleted defenders.  My first priority is to get the company to spread out.  The tanks are moving straight forward to interdict any Russian reinforcements crossing the bridge.  1st platoon is taking cover behind the copse of trees, shooting smoke to cover 2nd platoon's advance to the destroyed ATGM vehicles.  1st platoon will sprint across the field to take cover north of the town, linking up with the company headquarters, as well as the second FO team and the air controller.  Once they successfully complete the movement, I think I'll pull the tanks into cover and send 1st platoon to the west as well, providing the others don't get shot up...  Now I've got some 20-odd more minutes until 3rd company arrives.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh ho nuisance mines at the bridge making themselves worthy. I share your interest to see what happens when the artillery hits. This has been an absolutely cracking show piece of a scenario; you should really consider releasing it once the map is done.

Your scheme of maneuver is good, I think, for the reinforcements. Playing conservatively and waiting for all your ducks to be in a row is definitely how to fight a superior foe.

Edited by Rinaldi

10 hours ago, HerrTom said:

I'm also getting reports of a Russian traffic jam attempting to cross the bridge.  My FO reports that artillery called on the bridge is already in the air.  This will be interesting.  While the other battery cools down, I order the 82mm mortars that arrived with second company to shell the ford.

Oh a cliff hanger. I look forward to seeing the results of this.

So you have an ATGM team that scored two kills and is still alive and well - well done.

54 minutes ago, IanL said:

Oh a cliff hanger. I look forward to seeing the results of this.

So you have an ATGM team that scored two kills and is still alive and well - well done.

I think it's actually taken out four or five BMPs. But who's counting? Maybe they can get that T-72 too?

9 minutes ago, IanL said:

They must be running out of ammo at this point.

Ammo dumps critically needed for defensive operations. Nobody will not defend position in front of attack of many armor, if ATGMs and others will have only "near the weapon" ammunition load...

Edited by Haiduk

29 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Ammo dumps critically needed for defensive operations. Nobody will not defend position in front of attack of many armor, if ATGMs and others will have only "near the weapon" ammunition load...

Ammo dumps are critically absent! Though I think that will be rectified when I release the scenario. I doubt I could get the team to move to a cache anyway. Everyone in 1st Company has broken morale and prefers to sit tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ja71yVs.png

2nd company moves out, alarmed to see Russians straight ahead.  I have a feeling that the Russians were just as surprised to see an entire company come over the hill!

gpvKyDN.png

The battalion attached tank moves down the road along with the headquarters section, which includes one PRP-4, a BMP-2, and an MTLB.  These contain the battalion headquarters, an air observer, HQ support team and another FO.

MmuNcYK.png

One of 2/4's tanks receives a Bastion, detonating the ammo rack.

JDpLlHS.png

Its comrades return fire, exploding a Ural crossing the bridge.

rJ4hE2Q.png

Meanwhile, the headquarters receives autocannon fire from downrange.  It's not clear if the MTLB and PRP are knocked out yet, but I'm marking it as such on the map for now.

1KnnnYF.png

While 2/1 moves into cover behind the trees, one of its BMPs receives a penetrating hit, forcing the passengers to bail out.

CKGlhD5.png

Artillery begins to slam into the bridge.  A number of shells hit it, though most land in the water.  A couple of BMP-3s cross over the bridge as the shells land around them (Ahem!)

BZokkQ4.png

A T-72B3 shows its ugly face as it drives into Pryvitnoe.  This would normally be very dangerous, but the survivors in the town are heavily demoralized and lacking heavy AT assets.  The ATGM team has one more left, but I doubt their ability to engage in close combat with this bugger.

c8UBoQA.png

One of 2/4's T-64s knocks out the BMP harassing the headquarters group.

PTwNNy2.png

Not much has changed.  I'm still hoping I can get 3. Platoon, 2. Company into the northern end of Pryvitnoe to discourage Russian probes further north, allowing me freedom to maneouvre around the northwest area shielded by the trees.  Perhaps even get an AT asset into the small complex there.

Only time will tell...

• 3 weeks later...

2nd Company is already getting pretty battered.

3WHREF9.png

A second tank from 4th platoon eats a Bastion fired from a BMP-3 speeding down the road into the forest.

iQv1Kqz.png

A compatriot drives around the smoke screen and fires a shot...

95CmhE6.png

... Which pierces the enemy vehicle, causing it to grind to a halt.

hDUT8T9.png

The two surviving tanks move into better cover around the forested area that 1st Platoon/2Co is taking cover behind.

NCaX9mn.png

Meanwhile, 3rd Platoon/2Co receives tank and autocannon fire, disabling first one BMP.

7jlkDv1.png

Then two.  The third is raked with more autocannon fire, tracking it further afield.  Everyone's panicked and rushing to get away from the death traps.

3K8B0gI.png

Aerial recon spots a platoon of BMP-3s supported by a T-72B3 moving down the main road through the village.  This is definitely not good, since the only forces I have there are part of 2nd company's HQ.  Maybe the BMP-2 will make them think twice about charging forward.

HrrsXxx.png

2nd Platoon/2Co takes fire, knocking out one of the BMP-2s as it races to the shrubs ahead.

A3McbFm.png

Aerial recon further shows the punishment that has landed so far on the canal crossing point.  No good BDA for now.  Definitely interested to see how much trouble my artillery has caused my opponent.

3UaY7Dp.png

Not sure what to do any more, other than keep holding where I am.  When I revamp the scenario for a release here (hopefully) I think I'll move both reinforcement groups to the NW corner of the map, where they'll enter in good cover and perhaps be more useful to the battle.  So far, 2nd company's tanks are the only things that have done anything other than get killed - and they probably owe it to the Russians in the treeline at the canal, and the large open ground to cover.

13 hours ago, HerrTom said:

<Snip>  When I revamp the scenario for a release here (hopefully) I think I'll move both reinforcement groups to the NW corner of the map, where they'll enter in good cover and perhaps be more useful to the battle.  <Snip> 

Good DAR.  Looking forward to the release.   

2nd company continues to get mauled by the Russians already across the canal.

VD3CwpK.png

A T-64 fires a shot at a spotted BRM-3.  The shot lands high and smashes into a tree behind the reconnaissance vehicle.

oyNdYx8.png

Autocannon fire lands true on the stragglers still inside Pryvitnoe.

7QxTmlY.png

A BMP-2 from second platoon eats 30mm rounds as it tries to retreat.  Alas, the field is so open there is nowhere to go.

1s81kFj.png

The 3rd T-64 in 4th platoon eats a BMP-3s ATGM after barely missing it as it raced over the bridge.  I have to have a talk with the Ukrainian gunnery school!  They're only 1 km away!

bdBfYRr.png

The air controller team from the headquarters section takes cover in the treeline, bracing to face what appears to be a depleted Russian company moving through the town.

OwWRvP4.png

A BMP-2 from 1st platoon also gets spotted by BMP-3s.

oDpAWFN.png

It's almost 20 minutes until 3rd company arrives, and I seriously doubt I can hold out against the Russians for that long.  If I take more losses, I might have to fall back against the Russian onslaught.

But never fear, for I have another scenario in the works (taking a break from playing with AI on this one).

lyU1HpH.png

A preview of "An der schönen blauen Dnepr"  - On the Beautiful, Blue Dnieper.

15 hours ago, HerrTom said:

The 3rd T-64 in 4th platoon eats a BMP-3s ATGM after barely missing

In real world BMP should retreat as quick as possibly (if crew is not crack fanatics). Tank reloading is much shorter, then ATGM launch from BMP. For this, gunner should open up, prepare ATGM to launch, aim and guide a missile until hit. For this time tank could fire as minimum twise or more. Need to test this situation.

How much time have passed from tank miss and ATGM launch in return ?

Edited by Haiduk

5 hours ago, Haiduk said:

In real world BMP should retreat as quick as possibly (if crew is not crack fanatics). Tank reloading is much shorter, then ATGM launch from BMP. For this, gunner should open up, prepare ATGM to launch, aim and guide a missile until hit. For this time tank could fire as minimum twise or more. Need to test this situation.

How much time have passed from tank miss and ATGM launch in return ?

It was pretty much at the same time.  The ATGM's flight time is less than the 6 seconds for the autoloader to actuate, that's for sure.  Two of the three tanks there were lost to BMP-3s charging down the road at speed.  They must have quite good stabilizers! B)

• 2 weeks later...

ulJKW3pg.png

A Russian artillery spotter is seen rolling through Pryvitnoe.  Unfortunately, no one is in position to take a swing at it.

xDqbP66.png

1st platoon, 2nd company takes cover in the forest while the last remaining T-64 from 4th platoon systematically engages the Russian IFVs in the woodline north of the canal.

NwQOIk6.png

Boom! An earsplitting shockwave makes the dismounts' ears ring.  The shot travels quickly downrange.

g1HbCL3.png

Which connects with a BRM-3.  The T-64 reloads and fires a second shot.

2lD2UuY.png

But a Bastion races back!  The Bastion strikes true a split second before the round annihilates the BMP in revenge.

ZqqitrM.png

Meanwhile, another BMP finishes off a mortally crippled artillery spotting vehicle.

MnP7vJ1.png

BMPs in Pryvitnoe continue to race north.  Hopefully the HQ section blocking their advance can ambush them...

1am2uE3.png

2nd platoon, 2nd company takes cover in the bushes.  They can't move without getting the attention of the Russian BMP-3s... and neither can their own IFVs. 2nd platoon's BMP-2s are going to inch forwards through the bushes, hoping to get a glimpse of some Russian units from the good concealment.

b9GFaYL.png

Another barrage of artillery continues lands on the ford, though it may be too late to interdict any remaining Russian forces.

BipC6T8.png

A surviving RPG team from 1st Company manages to fire off a pair of shots at the previously spotted T-72 in Pryvitnoe.  The shot lands in the turret ring, and while it didn't blow the tank to smithereens, I think it's knocked out.

ZFhxiT2.png

The situation: My last tank is destroyed, which was one of the only things keeping the Russians from advancing north in the field to the east of Pryvitnoe.  Things look grim, but I'm happy that I at least took out another T-72!  Might be close to throwing in the towel.  I have no delusions of lasting until 3rd company arrives, 17 minutes from now!

@Sgt.Squarehead - the version I'm playing right now, posted earlier in the thread: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2rdazkKVNJXUEh3bjRHSXY4QUk/view

XSUAkW6.png

A Russian BMP finishes off an abandoned BMP-2.

PFovriC.png

The shots arc over another that is creeping into position to better identify something to shoot at.

xD4ly6O.png

One of 1st Platoon's BMP-2s identifies a Russian IFV crossing into the forested area by the canal and unloads autocannon fire into it.

LHECFOW.png

Unfortunately, the target and its friends don't take kindly to that and unload a number of 30mm cannon fire in return, killing the driver.

KulQkWK.png

Not much movement that I'm aware of.  I think I saw an infantry squad moving through Pryvitnoe, but I hope my machine gun team can give them some trouble while I sneak my RPG squad away.

A surprisingly quiet minute.

e8pv5cd.png

A pair of 152 mm shells land on the bridge.  Most of the Russian force appears to have already crossed, unfortunately.  Would have been a great hit on a BMP.

tw71KnF.png

Another BMP-2 gets nailed by the Russian BMP-3s in the treeline.

KulQkWK.png

No new map - nothing seems to have moved as best as I can tell.  There appears to be some small arms fire inside Pryvitnoe shooting at the company HQ, but I can't really tell where it's coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! First real map in Combat Mission, too.  Got a bit lazy and I still need to figure out how AI programming works.  Hell if I know right now :D

QDM6u7o.png

Enemy artillery lands nearby the surprisingly unspotted artillery observation vehicle and the remains of 1st Company.  Beyond that, all is quiet on the western front...

• 2 months later...

Finally, after almost a year!  Little happened the final few turns before I decided to throw the towel in.  2nd Company command was about to be assaulted by a whole platoon of BMP-3s and the few forces I had holed up in the forest were facing an entire company lined up in the treeline along the canal!

Final say:

Russian major victory - they licked me good and I doubt the extra company would be able to stand well against the Russians I let cross the river.

Uhrx2JM.png

On the flip side - I disabled enough vehicles on the crossing that some of the heavy assets still haven't crossed over.  In addition to the 6 tanks I destroyed, another 3 were immobilized.  Two BMP-3s were also immobilized in the initial hostilities on the other side of the canal.

vnlKuP1.png

The final situation.  There's a lot more red than I have blue. 2nd Company HQ is located with the FOs in the lower left corner, with their single BMP.  The Russian platoon is exiting Pryvitnoe in the middle.  That big clump in the upper middle is the company prepared to march across the field.  In the upper left corner is the remains of 1st platoon and my only other operational BMP.

BHNAGMh.png

A couple of Russian tanks were still stranded on the other side of the bridge.  Mines blocked one side and the other is an obstacle since I blew a BMP and later a truck attempting to cross it.

NKiG8gM.pngOne of the immobilized tanks.  Struck a mine, along with the BMP that's not smoking.  Two of the dead BMPs were killed by my artillery fire and the final one by the T-64.

Overall, I think the Russians managed to cross two T-72B3s - one was knocked out by my RPG team in the last few minutes, and the other was sitting comfortably in the treeline.

whru4Kx.png

Finally, the BMP company.  Quite the intimidating sight, and I have no illusions about being able to stop them long enough for 3rd Company to arrive!

Cheers for the great game and comments!  I hope to eventually figure out AI to the point where this could be a scenario beyond a devil of an H2H scenario.  In the meantime, I think I'll have my own crossing the Dneipr DAR coming soon.