Op UNIFER eye-candy

Rinaldi

Figured this forum could do with a change of pace from the usual slapfights and just enjoy some eye-candy. I'll leave the inevitable political commentary about Op UNIFER to someone else.

All photos courtesy of the forces.gc.ca website.

0CEz4Ay.jpg

A Canadian instructor examines a section in defensive fieldworks. The original caption notes that these are trainees - evident by their relatively uniform appearance. Front line units of the Ukranian Army were, and are, an elcetic mix of gear and patterns sent from various NATO countries, most notably Britian, whom sent Helmets and battledress. In the background, beyond the second BMP-2, is a BTR (Flag). Note also the zig-zagging nature of the trench.

7D8o5Dl.jpg

Keeping in line with the idea that Ukraine's Army needs to be built from the bottom up, MOUT is an integral part of small-unit and team training. Men can't look to their NCOs and Junior Officers for answers and guidance when fighting room-by-room.

A2q60JK.jpg

A Canadian instructor signals the start of a simulated attack during another live fire exercise. A pair of Ukranian BMPs are at-ready. Further numerous advisors are also visible in the background. Starychi, Ukraine.

YmEUXkX.jpg

"Platoon level Operations"

At least that's what the original caption claims. On a gentle slope a BMP-2 (with BC standing tall in the turret) and three dismounts take a kneel, presumbly as part of a platoon-level attack. Note the cut log on the back deck of the BMP-2, and the lack of a funky camo scheme as seen before. A Canadian instructor stands just behind the skirmishing line and observes the trainees.

u4tPrrB.jpg

Instructors from the 3/Royal 22e Regt. ("Van Doos") advise members of the Ukranian Armed Forces on how to repel an impending (& simulated) attack during a live-fire exercise. Starychi, Ukraine.

9ajfl9g.jpg

Behind a healthy smoke-screen a Ukranian squad (in commonwealth parlance: Section) organize or re-organize after an attack. The training and partnership in the Ukraine is very much built around the very basics of soldering and exercises have rarely gone past the Company level. This is realm of training in which the junior NATO partners (like Canada) excel, our own routine field training exercises rarely exceeding Company level.

Can anyone comment in the first picture, what the white square of flagging tape in front of the closest BMP over the top of the trench is for? A no-go for trench transit in case the earthworks collapses from the weight of the vehicle behind? Or to help the vehicle see the trench? I think the distant BMP has similar as well.

15 hours ago, gnarly said:

Can anyone comment in the first picture, what the white square of flagging tape in front of the closest BMP over the top of the trench is for? A no-go for trench transit in case the earthworks collapses from the weight of the vehicle behind? Or to help the vehicle see the trench? I think the distant BMP has similar as well.

I'm not sure, I'd say identifcation panels but its not exactly visible. It could be used to simulate something. I hadn't even noticed those until you pointed them out.

8 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Rinaldi,

Great pics! The fighting trenches we don't have, a terrific MOUT shot (dynamic as all get out), the cool looking and beat up digicam on the BMP-2s, and that gorgeous landscape shot really do it for me.

Regards,

John Kettler

Glad you enjoyed them John. It seems like the wilderness around Strachyi would be a lot like home base around Wainwright to the Canadians currently training; from what I understand most of the UNIFER trainers are currently from units out West - although clearly not exclusively as they made mention of the 22e Regt.

Edited by Rinaldi

18 minutes ago, kinophile said:

Really? Canada rarely holds battalion scale exercises? 

Sounds... like a not good idea... I assume there's a financial reason? 

No they do. Hm. Let me try to rephrase; its not rare but its not routine. They just finished a fairly robust exercise making use of 1500 men from Ontario Brigade Groups. I'm not impressed at the size, almost universally the Primary reserve brigade groups have a fairly light logistical tail, they are almost always totally lacking in AFVs. Frankly speaking, its not hard to bus out a few Coys of men from London, Toronto, Windsor up to Petewawa. The G-Wagens that man the Cavalry squadrons can drive themselves, etc etc. Much easier than forward deploying a battlegroup from a CMBG - especially the ones out West which are generally heavier. Our logistical tail leaves much to be desired in that regard.

Canada has done NTC rotations as well for the Mechanized Brigade Groups and they do fairly decent scale exercises maybe once a year, to my knowledge. I remember hearing from a few guys I know in the active force that MAPLE RESOLVE wasn't a total sh**show, but I haven't kept up.

Ultimately, the montly FTXs rarely focus on attacks past the Company level. You have to consider that Canada doesn't exactly carry a heavy footprint. We have, what, 3 Squadrons of MBTs, one of which is actually staffed from men from two different regiments? We practice small-unit stuff much more frequently for a myriad of reasons, material and financial.

If there's anyone who's in or recently in that can show that I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, I'm hoping to be wrong about this assessment.

Edited by Rinaldi
Missing words

These pictures are very cool. Is there an article/writeup somewhere out there that could be linked? I would be interested in some light reading on the training exercises. 

@Rinaldi I know that during the latter parts of the Cold War the US and Canada held many large scale FTX's at least yearly. I believe they were all called Operation North Star, although there may be a bunch of variations/subcategories I'm unaware of. I have to admit I am not very well informed on either our syrup loving friends to the north (no offense meant, personally love the stuff!) or Commonwealth forces in general. Do these large scale joint exercises still take place, or have they since been cut since the fall of the Berlin wall?

Edited by IICptMillerII

Yes, Canada frequently took part in REFORGER among other exercises, as well as NORTH STAR that's correct. Joint exes still take place but they can be of varying size and scale. As I said, Canada often has NTC rotations. These are, almost with certainty, the most robust and bang for buck exercises our men could get. I know 4/2 Cavalry conducted training with us not too long ago, and units frequently shuffle between the border, nothing has changed in that regard, but scale remains modest for the more frequent ones.