axxe

Recommend user iMac for CM

Looking to get a used iMac dedicated to running CM.  I currently play on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, which works great except for the fan spinning 100% all the time!

I only play WEGO.

Can I buy a 5-year-old iMac with base specs and expect the game to play fine, with good frame rate for the video replays?  Do I need to worry about NVIDIA vs. AMD, video RAM, geekbench scores, any of that?

Anyone out there with a Core 2 Duo 21.5" iMac care to chime in?

Thanks for the best game ever, Battlefront :-)

36 minutes ago, axxe said:

Anyone out there with a Core 2 Duo 21.5" iMac care to chime in?

That would probably be me. I have a 21.5" iMac of about the vintage you are enquiring about. Here are some of its specs:

Model Name:    iMac

Model Identifier:    iMac13,1

Processor Name:    Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:    2.7 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    4

L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

L3 Cache:    6 MB

Memory:    8 GB

CM runs okay on it but with the graphics set at Balanced. I could possibly use somewhat higher settings, but I'm okay with it as it is. One thing I would like is to double the RAM as I did on my previous iMac, but only because I like to have several other apps running at the same time. It would be convenient to do that again, but not to do so is not a big problem either.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Michael 

Well, I'm running CM on a iMac 27" Mid-2011.  iMac 12,2, Core i7 3.4Ghz, 2GB Radeon HD 6970M.  The extra screen size does make it a bit easier to get a better "big picture" view of the action.

Jyri

19 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

That would probably be me. I have a 21.5" iMac of about the vintage you are enquiring about. Here are some of its specs:

Model Name:    iMac

Model Identifier:    iMac13,1

Processor Name:    Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:    2.7 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    4

L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

L3 Cache:    6 MB

Memory:    8 GB

CM runs okay on it but with the graphics set at Balanced. I could possibly use somewhat higher settings, but I'm okay with it as it is. One thing I would like is to double the RAM as I did on my previous iMac, but only because I like to have several other apps running at the same time. It would be convenient to do that again, but not to do so is not a big problem either.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Michael 

Thanks Michael, that's helpful!

5 hours ago, JyriErik said:

Well, I'm running CM on a iMac 27" Mid-2011.  iMac 12,2, Core i7 3.4Ghz, 2GB Radeon HD 6970M.  The extra screen size does make it a bit easier to get a better "big picture" view of the action.

Jyri

Jyri, do you ever have graphics issues in CM?  I ask because you have a Radeon graphics card which I seem to recall can be less stable/reliable...

Thanks!!

Forgot to mention graphics specs, which are kind of important.

Chipset Model:    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M

Type:    GPU

Bus:    PCIe

PCIe Lane Width:    x16

VRAM (Total):    512 MB

Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:    0x0fd8

Revision ID:    0x00a2

Michael

19 hours ago, axxe said:

Jyri, do you ever have graphics issues in CM?  I ask because you have a Radeon graphics card which I seem to recall can be less stable/reliable...

Thanks!!

What sort of graphics issues?  I do have to lower some of the graphics settings, but otherwise haven't had any issues.

Jyri

10 hours ago, JyriErik said:

What sort of graphics issues?  I do have to lower some of the graphics settings, but otherwise haven't had any issues.

Jyri

Hmm, I can't seem to find where I read that.  I recall something like "NVIDIA drivers seem to be more stable with Combat Mission than AMD" or some such.  But good you have no issues, since a lot of the iMac models in the good used price range do have AMD cards!

Most of the issues with AMD Radeon drivers tend to be on the PC/Windows platform. On the Mac side you are typically stuck with what Apple approves for the OS (and often Apple only has one release of the video drivers for that OS). I have a mid 2011 iMac (12,2) with a Radeon 6770M and 512MB of video RAM and it runs fairly well. The biggest problem was the drivers for OS 10.9 (Mavericks ?)  which cause A LOT of problems for the CMx2 series. The next OS release didn't have problems.