Advice for Possibly Returning Player

Hello All:

Have CMBN and CMFI but have not played either for years. Struggled with the system (being able to see those dips in the terrain, the size of most battles, etc.). Wargaming is not my primary hobby so I don't want to buy the newer games yet until I see if I can get back into it.

I would like to start dappling with CMBN again (small QBs or very small scenarions - found a really small one A Ranger Squad gets a Tall Order - thanks Edward).

I just have v1.11.

1) What are the changes in the v3 upgrade that makes is easier to play the game (maybe UI, map tools, etc.) for one that has struggled with most computer wargames. I can read the log of changes but I am interested in learning if these changes made it easier for you to play the game.

2) Would v.3 include all the features in v2.0 and any v.1 patch so you just need the v.3 upgrade?

Note I am not interested in editor features.

Really would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Gerry

19 hours ago, GerryCMBB said:

1) What are the changes in the v3 upgrade that makes is easier to play the game (maybe UI, map tools, etc.) for one that has struggled with most computer wargames.

I think the only thing they added that makes it easier to play the game is that you can now toggle on command lines (Ctrl+z), which shows a red line from selected HQ unit to its subordinates. It makes it a lot easier to get a quick overview of who is in command and who isn't.

All the frustrations of not being able to see dips in terrain, never being sure where a unit can fire to and from, not really knowing what the visibilty is like because even pitch darkness is rendered as twilight, etc. etc. are still there. Much of the game is learning little by little how to interpret what the game shows you.

But try out the demo of Red Thunder and see for yourself. It runs on V3.0.

58 minutes ago, GerryCMBB said:

Is it the same idea as before, adding the mod to a folder Z (assuming I don't want to use a mod manager yet).

Yes, it's very easy. Just move files and folders into the Z folder to activate, move them out to de-activate. Not sure why a mod manager would be needed for this game. As for gridded terrain, I can't help you - I never played with that.

As for dips and other irregularities in the terrain, yeah they don't show up very well in the higher views. But if I am in a situation where that might be critical, I just go down to the 1 level view and let the camera roam around until I have a sense of how the ground is put together and where I want to place my units. Sometimes it gets very surprising.

Michael

I understand. But for me there is a point where it then becomes work and not play. And the system may just be too sophisticated for me. But it is also excellent so it is a tough call. I will be playing with it a bit to see how it goes. Thanks again.

Is there a thread that has some info on their next WW II creation?

15 minutes ago, GerryCMBB said:

But for me there is a point where it then becomes work and not play.

Well sure. I reach that point from time to time, and when I do I go play something simpler and that moves a little faster with less input from me. But sooner or later I come back because CM is such a stone gas.

:D

Michael

15 hours ago, GerryCMBB said:

How are QBs in v.3 versus v.1. Curious if there have been improvements. Does the AI for example do all kinds of battles OK are are some to be avoided?

I don't know if it has changed much. Some maddening bugs seem to have been quashed. One was actually a fault of the player. If you tried to play a battle with the sides swapping roles between attacker and defender, the AI would often set up on the wrong sides of covering terrain and facing the wrong way. The cure is that when choosing a map, pay attention to which side is attacking and which is defending and don't try to exchange them.

Aside from that, I've always thought the AI played tolerably well. Not brilliant, but adequate. It seems to have an uncanny ability to pick keyhole positions which cannot be attacked except from locations that are heavily covered by fire.

Michael

54 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Aside from that, I've always thought the AI played tolerably well. Not brilliant, but adequate. It seems to have an uncanny ability to pick keyhole positions which cannot be attacked except from locations that are heavily covered by fire.

There is no AI that is "playing". It's a human designer who decides where the AI sets up and where it moves at what time.