New on Combat Mission

Bagration

Hello everyone,

I'm just new here and also on that series, I've heard about it long time ago but I didn't pay attention ... I was a big fan of the "Close combat" and "theatre of war" games, more recenlty I played the graviteam tactics : Mius Front" ... That I liked alot even if the infantry model and the IA are bad actually ...

So ... since I search for a new strategy games during the ww2 I finaly decide to take a look on "combat mission", I tried the demo of red thunder (since i'm a passionate of the eastern front ...) and I really enjoyed it !

I guess I will buy it but before I have just 3 questions ...

- Does this game have good optimization ? On the demo that was hard to keep good FPS even if I have a very good PC

- How the IA act in game ? Does she give you challenge or like graviteam tactics, she used "human wave" strategy ?

- I see (and that's a damn good part !) that we can install mods on this game ! Can you tell me what are the best for start ?

Thanks !

From my side:

1. Get ready for a 30 FPS max 40 (to play in CM is enough) recommended graphics Geforce
  2. The best game of the living by the player PBEM, as the AI is doing you see in the demo, everything depends how it is designed scenario.
  3. Mods is only graphic.

Generally, you should play mode WEGO for me is the best game. Why this long to write

Thanks for your answer guys !

Well the mods are indeed graphics but that add alot on historical side with more accurate infantry models (the basic have already nice models i must say) but also sounds mod.

I see that we can also download missions is that right ?

I know also that we can play on real time and on turn by turn, but I do prefer real time strategy :P

I think everyone who starts off the Combat mission series in CM2 games uses real time at first, the preference for WEGO builds over time, particularly as you start tackling bigger battles and needing to deploy more complex orders.

And yes you can download User made battles and campaigns from several sites. If your going to do that i might recommend fiddling around with the editor yourself, its fairly powerful and if there is a certain engagement you are thinking of that isn't provided its perfect for creating that.

Thanks for your post Cobetco !

Well, all good then I will take it tomorrow I already download some nice mods to try once I played a little.

For the WEGO I agree, on the demo for the first mission that's really not hard to play on real time but for the second mission ... well ... it's difficult to folow everything :wacko:

2 hours ago, Bagration said:

I guess I will buy it but before I have just 3 questions ...

- Does this game have good optimization ? On the demo that was hard to keep good FPS even if I have a very good PC

The short answer is there are issues. Here are two threads on the subject both of which have suggestions for NVida cards (might be some info in there on ADM card I'm not sure).

Performance and quality tips for NVIDIA

Performace Discission With some input from Steve

- How the IA act in game ? Does she give you challenge or like graviteam tactics, she used "human wave" strategy ?

The overall AI attack plan is scripted by the scenario author so they can do the human wave thing but usually it is more subtle than that especially in the newer titles which have some move options for scenario authors to create more reaction into their scripts.

- I see (and that's a damn good part !) that we can install mods on this game ! Can you tell me what are the best for start ?

Mods can be found here: CM Mods

Some of my favourite things to mod are the vehicle skins (CMRT vehicles http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?cat=15) especially look for anything by Aris (includes other games too): http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?author=46

Unit icons is also a popular thing to mod - here is mine which uses force specific period tactical icons: http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=533 (there are others in this list http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?cat=43)

My absolute favourite mod is actually a game play assistance mod that changes the solider actions from words like "Spotting", "Aiming", "Firing" to icons.  You must get the mode that matches your exact version of the game (see the version number in the bottom right of the main menu screen of the game): http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=225

Once you are looking for scenarios the site you want is here: Scenario Depot

You can also check out my listing site (shameless plug :-): http://www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com/RedThunder/Scenarios/index.html it does not host any of the files but you might find it helpful to search by size or area etc.

7 hours ago, Cobetco said:

...the preference for WEGO builds over time, particularly as you start tackling bigger battles and needing to deploy more complex orders.

Another possible reason to use WEGO turn-based is that you can replay a turn over and over, viewing different parts of the battlefield from different angles to your hearts content. This can be an important feature when you are trying to figure out where that shot came from and things like that. Besides, if one of your teams does something especially well, you can watch them repeat it and enjoy the warm glow of pride.

:)

Michael

I'll take good note of that Michael, thanks !

Just one last question, I bought the game yesterday and I started by install two voices mod (Soviet and German obviously) and they work all good, I just watch some thread on the forum for know how to install it (for my part it's on C:\Users\Name\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder\User Data\Mods).

But I also want to install the uniforms mod of EZ and a sounds mods for weapons and when I unzip them I don't have any .brz files, do I have to create a folder inside the "mods" for using them ?

4 hours ago, Bagration said:

do I have to create a folder inside the "mods" for using them ?

You don't have to but for your own sanity you probably should.  I have a folder named 'u' that contains sub folders for each uniform mod and then the contents of that mod are in that sub folder. So the path to one uniform mod looks like this:

C:\Users\Name\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder\User Data\Mods\u\CoolGermanUniformMod

For convenience sake I ignore the mods folder in 'user data' and simply make a new folder in the Data folder where the .BRZs are. 

A plain old folder will act like a .brz file. Just remember the contents of the data folder is accessed alphabetically. Name your mods folder anything you want as long as it come alphabetically after the 'red thunder' brz name. People often call mods folders 'z folders' for that reason. You could have multiple mod folders in Data, one named 'zuniforms' and another names 'zterrrain' just to keep things straight.

Edited by MikeyD

On 1.12.2016 at 5:07 PM, mirekm61 said:

From my side:

1. Get ready for a 30 FPS max 40 (to play in CM is enough) recommended graphics Geforce
  2. The best game of the living by the player PBEM, as the AI is doing you see in the demo, everything depends how it is designed scenario.
  3. Mods is only graphic.

Generally, you should play mode WEGO for me is the best game. Why this long to write

That's not quite right. There is the fantastic HQS sound mod an several others.

12 hours ago, NPye said:

What does WEGO and FPS mean in CM, as you cant play First Person Shooter in CM?

And WEGO means: Both sides plot their orders for the next minute in advance and when the orders are executed, you can only sit and watch, how the action unfolds. Like a video clip.

Of course, you can replay, stop, pause, change zoom, camera position, direction and elevation.

But you can just watch in what your orders result for the next minute. Can be pretty nail biting...

Edited by StieliAlpha

Nigel,

When you play a PBEM against a human opponent by WEGO, you can save all the incoming turn files, I think it does by default, you have to select to tidy up folders and delete them. Each of your saved incoming turns then represents an opportunity to go and load that saved file in CM and rewatch that minute of play's action from any angle, to take screenshots, examine in detail "What the fudge happened?" and such. It is not a video capture. If you were to take some video using FRAPs for example of the minute's play it would only be that view point as saved video of the minute's action.

4 hours ago, NPye said:

Thanks Stieli. I find it a bit frustrating playing the minute game, as you double the time etc, i play live and just pause when i need to? Can you save all the videos from min to min?

Of course, all depends on your personal preferences. Nevertheless, two points for your consideration:

- if you play WEGO, you really have the possibility to replay and analyse a situation. And you'll find yourself in plenty situation, sitting with the question: "Where did that shot come from." Just recently, one bloody sniper killed half squad of mine and I still could not spot him.

- most people seem to play the classic WEGO PBEM. I may be wrong, but I am not aware of a lively real time player community.

But, as said: Whatever you like best...

Hi everyone,

So ... I must say i very love this game and ... I agree WEGO are very, very good to play !

Well doing a battle on a little map with real time is my favorite thing but ... damn ... ! On big map that's almost impossible to focus on every front and watch every corners ...

I just say that because I tried to play my first campaign on Soviet side, real time and that was horrible ... :( ... "huge" map, to difficult to follow and watch all my units, I got pissed (seriously) because my infantry was dying from everything with everything from everywhere ... it's also to easy to forget one side of the battlefield when you take care of another.

So ...

I tried the "WEGO" yesterday and I do love how we can play and replay the action, follow your units, and elaborate your strategy with peacfull feelings ... :wub:, also take the time to watch the models soldiers and the tanks are great ! :D I didn't have much time to play so I didn't finish the first mission but I Enjoyed it so far !